Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

1 inch lowering >> payload capacity??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bsheet2

bsheet2

1 inch lowering >> payload capacity?? Empty
PostSubject: 1 inch lowering >> payload capacity??   1 inch lowering >> payload capacity?? EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 9:15 pm

I have a 2008 WR250R. Am considering the YamaLink 1 ich lowering. But I will be doing some adventure trips. I have the Wolfman rear racks . Will carry 3 water proof duffle bags , one each side and one on the top rack. Plus I weight about 230 lbs. I know the 1 inch lowering softens the rear suspension. But how much??? Will it still carry 300 to 320 lbs (me plus luggage) and still have the proper sag on the rear shock??? Any info on this?? With stock linkage I believe the payload is 400 lbs.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: 1 inch lowering >> payload capacity??   1 inch lowering >> payload capacity?? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 12:04 am

your shock pre-load doesn't change and your shock doesn't change, your max load shouldn't change
the yamalink changes the configuration (a little) of the relay arm and changes the way the shock reacts to the swing arm angle (a little)..
if you need to, increase your pre-load to match your load but that's about it..
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: 1 inch lowering >> payload capacity??   1 inch lowering >> payload capacity?? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 7:36 pm

My understanding is that lowering softens the suspentsion due to the geometry changes you describe above. My KLR has a very similar suspension configuration on the rear and this is what the experience on the KLR is.

In stock form, I think the max payload of the WRR is 400 lbs. I assume the rear shock pre-load would be set to its maximum in order to maintain the proper sag with this much load on the bike.

If you lower the bike and set the preload on the rear shock to its maximum position, the bike sould not be able to carry 400 lbs and still have the correct sag since the suspension softens. I was wondering if there is any information on how much lower than 400 lbs it would be.

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: 1 inch lowering >> payload capacity??   1 inch lowering >> payload capacity?? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Here is the response I got from the Yamalink folks::

-----------------------
To: John
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: WR250R 1 inch lowering Yamalink

John,

The increased leverage from the 1" YamaLink is less than 10%. At your weight plus the extra gear it now become an issue of proper spring rate for the 320 pounds. The stock springs of the WR are obviously not set for 320 pounds and at 230 pounds with just rider weight achieving proper sag would be an issue.

---------------------

I think he is a bit conservative in the above. I don't have any issue achieving proper sag in stock set up. I don't think 10% reduction on the rear would be an issue with just me on there. But after abit of math, getting much luggage on there for a trip might be an issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1 inch lowering >> payload capacity??   1 inch lowering >> payload capacity?? Empty

Back to top Go down

1 inch lowering >> payload capacity??
Page 1 of 1