Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What to do--Lowering my WRR

Go down 
+2
pbnut
Big-O
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Big-O

What to do--Lowering my WRR Empty
PostSubject: What to do--Lowering my WRR   What to do--Lowering my WRR EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 1:24 pm

Well I pulled the trigger and I'm happy to say I have picked up a 2013 WRR. Unfotunately for me, I have dumpy stump legs and I need to lower this thing a bit. I know I need to buy lowering links and wonder where to get them. Also what more can I do besides this to drop the machine a bit more?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: What to do--Lowering my WRR   What to do--Lowering my WRR EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 3:01 pm

There is some adjustment in the stock shock for ride height. It may or may not be enough for your inseam though.

Otherwise you might want to raise the fork tubes in their clamps a bit. That should be it though.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: What to do--Lowering my WRR   What to do--Lowering my WRR EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 4:56 pm

You can almost gain 2 inches by reshaping your seat...though it makes the seat slightly less comfortable. Mine has been like that for a few years.

And keep in mind, the more practice riding you get, the less you notice how tall it is.

In the beginning I felt I HAD to lower it just to be able to ride it...if I got a new one today, I'ld probably hold off and see how well I did for a while.

Also, keep in mind your tire profile can affect seat height, depending on what you have.
Back to top Go down
Hog86r

PostSubject: Re: What to do--Lowering my WRR   What to do--Lowering my WRR EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 6:49 pm

For anyone out there,, I took some of the pre-load out of my rear spring.......... is this a no-no?? seems to work for me. it lowered the bike just right for my short self. Anyone else do this?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: What to do--Lowering my WRR   What to do--Lowering my WRR EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Preload and ride height are separate adjustments.

Taking out some preload is the fix for lighter riders. Increasing preload would be the fix for a heavier rider, or if you were planning to carry a heavier load. The goal is to reach a target sag range; sag being the amount that the bike compresses the suspension with the full weight of the rider/cargo from full extension.
I don't know you or your ride, but if removing preload works for you, great. You should have a softer ride as a result.

Just know that adjusting the ride height can change just that, and nothing more.
Back to top Go down
34wrc

PostSubject: Re: What to do--Lowering my WRR   What to do--Lowering my WRR EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Why not swap the lower link with this guy???-

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9229-yamalink
Back to top Go down
Zugman

Zugman

PostSubject: Re: What to do--Lowering my WRR   What to do--Lowering my WRR EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks for helping me out, I have a PM from someone who wants to do the swap.

As pbnut said though it is not the best idea to adjust pre-load to compensate for ride height. Pre-load should be adjusted for the correct sag for rider weight.

What you have done really is make the suspension softer and it also increases the amount it travels. This is going to effect the way your suspension works.

It all also depends on what kind of riding you are going to do, if you are going to be carrying passengers or extra weight and so on.

Personally I would go with a lower seat or a lowering link and then set my sag properly for my weight.
Back to top Go down
Big-O

PostSubject: Re: What to do--Lowering my WRR   What to do--Lowering my WRR EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for your replies. I did find that I can adjust the shock about 1/2 inch but I will also incorporate a lowering link from Moose racing. This will purchased from Dennis Kirk. Here is the link for anyone interested too. This will drop the bike 1.5 inches and from what other WRR/x owners have said it works and is well built. Note that if it is not in stock, you must order it or you will be put on the back burner forever.

https://www.denniskirk.com/1-3-4-in-lowering-pull-rod.p583767.prd/583767.sku
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do--Lowering my WRR   What to do--Lowering my WRR Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do--Lowering my WRR
Page 1 of 1