Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Gearing choices?

Go down 
+4
pbnut
galland1
Arkmage
eflyersteve
8 posters
AuthorMessage
eflyersteve

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 12:56 pm

I have an X with stock gearing and am looking for a little more bottom end and a little more RPM in 6th at 65mph. I have no plans to really exceed 65 by much but do still commute about 30ish miles one way to work on occasion so I don't want to give up the ability to be comfortable at highway speeds.

What sprocket combo would be best? Seems to be a lot of info about the R version, and some regarding some huge rear sprocket choices for stunting, but how about for my situation? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 1:14 pm

I ended up going with 13/46. I can't comment on the feel yet as the parts haven't arrived.

If you want extra flexibility in your chain tension without having to worry about eating the swing arm you can swap to a 14 tooth in the front and something huge out back. You get into a lot more options in brands, sizing, styling, and colors of rear sprocket once to get to 48 tooth and above.

I didn't want to go that big with a 13 front but may change my mind after riding the 13/46 combo for a while.
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 2:19 pm

I have 13/46. I think it's as good as you can get a for on and off road. I've had mine up to 80mph indicated without hitting the limiter.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 pm

If you want to play with different ratios divide the rear sprocket tooth count by the front.

Stock X is 13/42. That works out to 3.230.
13/46 = 3.538
14/49 = 3.500

The bigger the number, the shorter the gearing (more acceleration, less top speed).
You can keep playing with the numbers though. It will give you an idea of how much change a given combo will effect the final ratio.

Me, I'm not terribly displeased with the stock gearing. I could stand to go a little lower so I'm opting for a 14/47 combo (3.357). I've got my rear sprocket already. Still need to purchase the front sprocket and a new chain (always replace as a set!).
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 9:23 pm

eflyersteve wrote:
I have an X with stock gearing and am looking for a little more bottom end and a little more RPM in 6th at 65mph. I have no plans to really exceed 65 by much but do still commute about 30ish miles one way to work on occasion so I don't want to give up the ability to be comfortable at highway speeds.

What sprocket combo would be best? Seems to be a lot of info about the R version, and some regarding some huge rear sprocket choices for stunting, but how about for my situation? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you want a modest change to me.
I'd try 13/45.

Myself, I've got 13/49 and really like it. thumb
Back to top Go down
jimmy2020

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: i've been trying many combinations..   Gearing choices? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 9:20 pm

I am liking a 14/49 combo. 6th gear comfortable cruise at 65 was my goal. Can easily run 75 if pushed.
Back to top Go down
mace

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:11 pm

i have 13/49 --- great up until 65ish --- then kinda screaming.

I like it for now - but will prob switch to a 45 or 46 once the winter comes ---- gives me something to do in the winter.

I just installed the speedo correct thingie also. easy enough to do and program.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:44 pm

13/48 rocks!!!

Tops out about 84mph.

Hits rev limiter at 64 mph in 4th gear.

Fuck that "I don't plan to go over 65" crap.....

You'll be surprised at how stable and planted the X is, and you'll be wishing for more over 80mph more often that you can believe.

Stock gearing is weak. Make the change. You'll be glad you did.

New chain and new sprockets. beavis

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mace

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:48 pm

motokid wrote:
13/48 rocks!!!

Tops out about 84mph.

Hits rev limiter at 64 mph in 4th gear.

Fuck that "I don't plan to go over 65" crap.....

You'll be surprised at how stable and planted the X is, and you'll be wishing for more over 80mph more often that you can believe.

Stock gearing is weak. Make the change. You'll be glad you did.

New chain and new sprockets. beavis

is that indicated speed or actual? with my 13/49 sprockets, the indicated speed was 22% off ! I am all corrected now though.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Corrected. 12 o'clock labs. thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mace

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 pm

motokid wrote:
Corrected. 12 o'clock labs. thumb

sweet - thats what i just installed too.

do you have airbox mod and exhaust too? I just have gearing.

Cant wait til I can afford the programmer and exhaust - makes a difference i heard?

I love my bike - ride SOO Much more than any other bike i have owned (about 5) -
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:55 pm

See my signature.....I also have airbox door removed.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gearing choices? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearing choices?   Gearing choices? Empty

Back to top Go down

Gearing choices?
Page 1 of 1