Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Colorado dualsport tire

Go down 
+2
SteveO
dewtwo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dewtwo

Colorado dualsport tire Empty
PostSubject: Colorado dualsport tire   Colorado dualsport tire EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Well riders,
Going to Rockys for 5 days & 1000 miles of D/S ridin on my wr250r. Gonna ride 20-25% pavement, 60% gravel mtn. rd, the rest single track & jeep trail.
My front 606 is about 1/2, I'm good with that.
The rear 606 is about 40%.
Do I get a new 606, or mt43 for the rear?
What's your opinion?
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
SteveO

SteveO

PostSubject: Re: Colorado dualsport tire   Colorado dualsport tire EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 5:59 pm

good question......

I'm guessing by the overwhelming response, people might be out on rides at the moment...... Suspect
I know I just got back from the ADV RMAR in Saguache, CO.

I now understand why the Trail-Wing tires are called "Death-Wings". They suck.
Back to top Go down
phroenips

PostSubject: Re: Colorado dualsport tire   Colorado dualsport tire EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Either will be fine, I just replaced my MT43 (previous owner put them on), with some D606's...just wanted to try something different (haven't gotten to ride with the D606 yet, so can't compare directly). My partner put 606's on his WRR, and he likes them.

I say go with whatever's cheaper :)

Last edited by phroenips on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
phroenips

PostSubject: Re: Colorado dualsport tire   Colorado dualsport tire EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 10:54 pm

I would like to amend my answer. MT43 hands down!!! I got a chance to go ride yesterday, first time on the D606. It performed well enough, but I had to be very careful with my throttle, or else it would break loose in the turns. Not the case on the MT43, it just hooks and stays that way!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Colorado dualsport tire   Colorado dualsport tire EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Hmmm...can't say I've ever had my 606's break loose on pavement. They stuck like shit to a woolly dog. Colorado dualsport tire 810411

PostSubject: Tires   Colorado dualsport tire EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Depends on your riding style and capability. For me the MT43's work great on rocks and roots--hook almost too well some times. They suck in mud. The MT's are almost too big for the WRR. The D's are too hard for big wet rocks and the side walls too firm for rough stuff--they do wear a bit better on pavement sections. Great in loose dirt and gravel. The MT21's kind of split the difference.
I like the MT21's a lot and will continue to use them as the primary tire. No more 43's for me--too big and the lack of mud cleaning combined with street wear out weigh their grip for me.
Back to top Go down
phroenips

PostSubject: Re: Colorado dualsport tire   Colorado dualsport tire EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 5:07 pm

My response was targeted to the OP's description of his planned riding in Colorado (where I live and ride)

dewtwo wrote:

Gonna ride 20-25% pavement, 60% gravel mtn. rd, the rest single track & jeep trail.

Based on that information, I feel the MT43 would be his best choice. We don't really get much mud in CO because it's so dry. And 99% of my riding is off-pavement.
Back to top Go down
dewtwo

PostSubject: MT43's all around   Colorado dualsport tire EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 11:58 pm

I bought front and rear MT43's. Had one on rear of KTM 400 last time in CO, really liked it off road(rocks) but had concern about pavement.
Been hearing good reports. Don,t do much mud here at home or CO. LOTS OF ROCK!!!!!

Maybe that MT21 holds up better on lower power bikes, but my 690 went thru the rear OE MT21 in 650 Miles(junk), and it got loud too!!!
In fairness, I liked the front MT21, handled well and lasted thousands of miles.
Thanks for your input everyone!

p.s. Its rocky where I live, but CO got more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
dewtwo

PostSubject: BIG FUN!!!!!!!!   Colorado dualsport tire EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Well it was 6 days in CO. WOW was it a great time just like 2 years ago. Got to top of American Flag on first day out.
Did about 850 mile on the MT-43's. I really like them, and they are going to last a long time.
I have a lot of observations if you have any questions.
David,
Back to top Go down
dewtwo

PostSubject: UPDATE!   Colorado dualsport tire EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:20 am

1500 miles and these tires wear better than any knobby I've had. Still plenty left! PSI is criticle. 10 great for off road, and 15 great for on road, but really deflects off rocks.
Looks like some people have had problems though.
David,
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

PostSubject: Re: Colorado dualsport tire   Colorado dualsport tire EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 pm

dewtwo wrote:
Well it was 6 days in CO. WOW was it a great time just like 2 years ago. Got to top of American Flag on first day out.
Did about 850 mile on the MT-43's. I really like them, and they are going to last a long time.
I have a lot of observations if you have any questions.
David,

dewtwo wrote:
1500 miles and these tires wear better than any knobby I've had. Still plenty left! PSI is criticle. 10 great for off road, and 15 great for on road, but really deflects off rocks.
Looks like some people have had problems though.
David,

David,

From what I understand, the tire is very tall. Did you have to make (or would you recommend) any specific suspension adjustments? A taller tire will also affect overall gearing . . . what sprocket combo are you running.

MT-43's front and rear? If not, what front tire are you running?

The 10/15 dirt/road psi recommendations . . . is that with a rim lock? If not, what pressures do you recommend without rim lock(s).

Many thanks,

Rick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Colorado dualsport tire   Colorado dualsport tire EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 6:48 pm

I did a very similar trip in Colorado about a week before you. 6 days, approx 900 miles, maybe 20% was paved road, the rest were mountain passes, fire roads, Jeep/ATV trails, etc.

And, like you, my rear D606 was a little more than 1/2 worn. Front still had lots of meat left. I had a brand new set of D606's sitting in the basement and was holding back on mounting them because the existing tires still had lots left. In the end, I decided to mount the new rear 606 just because I wanted to avoid any mishaps. Glad I did. The new 606 was awesome, with about 18psi for the offroad stuff, and about 25psi for little rips on paved roads.

I've never ridden on MT43's.... but I definitely like the D606 both front and rear.

Got a ride report / photos of your trip?

I posted some stuff here . Can't wait to go back there again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Colorado dualsport tire   Colorado dualsport tire Empty

Back to top Go down

Colorado dualsport tire
Page 1 of 1