Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Broken starter switch

Go down 
+2
kingsquid
chouser
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chouser

Broken starter switch Empty
PostSubject: Broken starter switch   Broken starter switch EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 11:24 am

Yesterday I broke the small plastic switch that you press to start the engine. I ordered the new part for $40 but I don't see where it plugs in. I know I could just cut the wires and solder them but I would like to do it right. On the other hand, if I have to take the bike apart just to get at it, then I don't know if I have the ability. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
kingsquid

kingsquid

PostSubject: Re: Broken starter switch   Broken starter switch EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Wow, sorry can't help with technical but I'm just wondering how that switch broke.
Back to top Go down
chouser

PostSubject: Re: Broken starter switch   Broken starter switch EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm wondering the same thing. Same story. Riding down the trail and all of a sudden I'm on my ass. I get the bike up and see that the switch had broken. The odds of that particular piece breaking gotta be astronomical.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: Broken starter switch   Broken starter switch EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 pm

ill try to check my service manual tonight when i get home for ya
Back to top Go down
andy mac

PostSubject: Re: Broken starter switch   Broken starter switch EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:25 pm

From memory it is on the right hand side of the frame, you will have to remove the tank and possibly loosen the radiator. Happy wrenching.
Back to top Go down
Hetch

Hetch

PostSubject: Re: Broken starter switch   Broken starter switch EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:20 pm

I had this same problem in the middle of a ride. Luckly, I used my buddies key to short the switch to start the bike.
The replacement switch has a plastic connector that feeds down the center of the frame. Just follow the wires.
For some reason, I remember being in the wire bundle on the left side - had to remove the plastic to get to the bundle.
I did not cut the plastic around the wiring, but it was a pain to unplug the connector.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Broken starter switch   Broken starter switch EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

yes, just keep following the wires, there is a plastic connector tucked into a large wire bundle just out of sight if I remember. take the plastics off and follow the wires.

I broke mine with my knee when I crashed during a supermoto race, well actually the last practice before racing started. ended up having to use a screw driver to jump the connection to start it for the race. came into corner 2 way too hot and over shot it. I kept the bike upright when I hit the grass but I killed the motor. I looked up and saw my wife running across the track with the screwdriver so I could at least run some laps. I'll never forget that day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken starter switch   Broken starter switch Empty

Back to top Go down

Broken starter switch
Page 1 of 1