Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

606 Tire? What Tire?

Go down 
+6
wildmotha
SheWolf
derm75
john92
inspector
King Wolf
10 posters
AuthorMessage
King Wolf

King Wolf

606 Tire?  What Tire? Empty
PostSubject: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 11:25 pm

Ok just to clear this up.... When all you guys are referring to 606 tires (i am running 606s on mine and they work great...ext) you guys am talking about the Dunlop 606 tire series right?
Cause i am looking in to what tires(mostly just a back for right now) are the best for your buck. And it seems like everyone who is riding a WR250R and running 606s on them.
So if you guys could give me some input on this. And WHY the 606s over all the other kinds? And i know i was reading somewhere where SheWolf sayed that the 606 work great on the road and dont wear that bad at all. Is this true?
I do most(plan on doing) riding on-road but i want to get a tire that gets good grip off-road to when i deside to tear it up at a track. So i am thinging 606 but i was reading about the specs on the tire at Duntop.com and is says they are 10% on-road and 90% off-road so that does not sound like they would do very good on the road( I mean as far as lasting long)
Any suggestion on some tires that are decent off-road but would last good and long useing it on the road(every day)?
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 11:44 pm

Yah, the 10-90 thing got me too. I decided to try them thou. Only have a couple hundred miles on them. So far so good. We will see how they wear.

*don't tell shewolf, but i just don't see how they can wear any better then the stockers.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptySat May 30, 2009 6:08 am

I just got Kenda 760's put on two days ago and so far they are great off-road for being DOT as well. I was going to get 606s but my friend at my local shop talked me into giving these a try. The tread pattern is very similar to a 756 dunlop.
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptySat May 30, 2009 7:48 am

I have used the 606's on a KLR in the past and have been very impressed with the grip both on and off road. Longevity was good too. However, the extremely stiff carcass on the tire makes changing a tube in the event of a puncture a difficult endeavor. I have successfully mounted 606's with the help of another person and much swearing, but I've also damaged the bead bad enough to prevent the tire from seating while trying to change one on my own. It is this difficulty which is preventing me from buying 606's again. I'm not confident that I would be successful changing one in the field, especially given that I ride alone often. What is the purpose of carrying tire irons, a tube, and a compressor if I can't get the job done? I bought Pirelli MT21's for the my WRX and will mount them up as soon as my off-road rims arrive. I've used the MT21's also on a KLR and the tread is very similar the 606's at least on the rear from what I recall, just a hair less deep when new. Traction on and off road was excellent and I got rid of the bike before I could evaluate the lifespan of the Pirelli's. I haven't had the opportunity to change one of the Pirelli's to see how hard they are, but the 606's have a reputation online for being hard to change, something which I have not heard about the MT21's. YMMV.

Jeremy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptySat May 30, 2009 9:30 am

Interesting. I indeed have the 606's on mine. I'm just shy of 2000 miles on them, and a good portion of that has been on road riding; they have hardly worn at all. I can't complain about the pavement behavior of the tread; I thought to begin with that they would be squirrely at the higher speeds but they proved me wrong. Even with the knobs they feel pretty good without and wobble whatsoever. On wet pavement, they stick, incredibly enuf. I ran 802's on my 600 liter bike and the 606's felt more secure on the wet stuff than they did. Offroad, I love them. I was partial to IRC's and Kenda with other bikes I had/have (I've got Kenda's on my XL250) and to be honest, the 606's have stood up to the challenges with flying colors. As for changing them, the rear is rather stiff. I did change it tho albeit with two short tire levers and a small squirt bottle of soapy water MYSELF. I wanted to exchange the tubes to heavy duty ones. Putting my bike side by side with Red's the last time, his rubber was worn more with him wearing the TW's and me on the 606's.

inspector

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptySat May 30, 2009 11:58 am

One last thing (that probably doesn't matter to anyone but me). I like to bomb up and down the neighborhood and through town. The 606's don't have the breaking ability on the street that I'm used too.

*man i wish i had a X and a R!!!!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptySat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

Mine stops fine. Just have to watch the rear because it locks up like right now...mind you they did that on the TW's too.

inspector

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptySat May 30, 2009 5:10 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Mine stops fine. Just have to watch the rear because it locks up like right now...mind you they did that on the TW's too.

Hmmm. After a little ride around town I may have to revise my opinion. I bow to shewolf on this.

*rear brake....yeah. Almost slid into an intersection last time. Then again, so did the car next to me. lol.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptySat May 30, 2009 6:18 pm

I very rarely use the rear brake; only circumstances is slow travel where it's not really going to matter, or if I want to powerslide around a crumbly corner.

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 6:15 pm

I saw a lonely rear D606 in a shop and the price tag was $108.00. There was also a sign that read, "25% off all Dunlop Tires." Naturally I asked about the 606, the answer I got was not what I expected. He said, "Oh yea, that's actually a special tire...that sale doesn't apply." DAMNIT, I thought, but.....Turns out someone bought that tire and decided they didn't want it, got it for 50 bucks!!! Brand spankin new.

However, it's a 130/90....seems like it will fit, but is this ok?? I have a 12t, so I think the gearing will be fine, but are there other drawbacks?
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 11:07 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Interesting. I indeed have the 606's on mine. I'm just shy of 2000 miles on them, and a good portion of that has been on road riding; they have hardly worn at all.

Wow, I love the 606, but at 800 miles, my rear is pretty shagged. I'll get another 500 or so, but it will be done. I'm not complaining, that's what I expected, just saying....

I know I change tires when some people would ride several hundred more miles. When the tire quits biting, or I lose confidence in it, I mount a new one. What a tire looks like and what it feels like are sometimes two different things.
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 12:39 am

Try this link for 606 tire $70 t0 $74, free shipping on orders over $75 in the U.S.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 3:36 am

My D606's lasted just about 5000 miles before they were completely shot. Like the front was chunking knobs and the rear was basically bald. Still got me through a LOT of crap pretty well being that worn.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 11:25 am

wildmotha wrote:
However, it's a 130/90....seems like it will fit, but is this ok?? I have a 12t, so I think the gearing will be fine, but are there other drawbacks?

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: 606   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 6:07 pm

I put a new set of 606's on my R² and rode the continental divide route then a 1,000 miles of pavement back home and my tires are still good! I will get another 1,500 miles out of them easy. Haven't been able to get anywhere close to that kind of wear from any other brand I have tried.
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 11:58 pm

wildmotha wrote:
wildmotha wrote:

Anyone?

To answer my own question...

I just put 700 miles on these tires and wanted to throw in my .o2. Oh shit breaking has gotten scary on the road! They break loose way to easily as expected with these tires. Off road is awesome. Corning on the road isn't too bad, wear is great, and the 130/90 is WAY too big!! Man, it really robs much needed power. (mods: AIS and accessories removed, Attitude box, 12t).
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 11:39 pm

derm75 wrote:
. However, the extremely stiff carcass on the tire makes changing a tube in the event of a puncture a difficult endeavor. I have successfully mounted 606's with the help of another person and much swearing, but I've also damaged the bead bad enough to prevent the tire from seating while trying to change one on my own. It is this difficulty which is preventing me from buying 606's again. I'm not confident that I would be successful changing one in the field, especially given that I ride alone often. What is the purpose of carrying tire irons, a tube, and a compressor if I can't get the job done?
Jeremy

Try watching this series of instructional videos, as he states, technique is everything. It allowed me to mount 606's on 4 wheels without help and lesser tire irons. It wasn't easy...but it definitely helped me get the job done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0B2gIwbBg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 606 Tire? What Tire?   606 Tire?  What Tire? Empty

Back to top Go down

606 Tire? What Tire?
Page 1 of 1