Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage

Go down 
+69
Crooked Creek
pfy50
conflict0102
b.ringrose
scott_pdx
bsheet2
johnnyadventurepants
aaronhall555
deerHater
e010584
Muddyrabbit
treybrad
trav72
mordicai
bDry
SoupSandwich
twday
Dancamp
cryptomundo
DougZ
Greenbean
oh2RideMore
mfrankpdx
Pancho
Bgunn
hughtwg
greer
GsVs
Crawdaddy
calico jack
bash3r
levity
antipode
asheville thumper
edteamslr
Jäger
Navajib
2Wheelz
smolvar
derm75
skierd
longtallsally
tjohnson
MeefZah
wahilde
0007onWR
shredak
BPG
1moreroad
Longview
jpkrass
lotsofwheels
Addicted
Don T
CopaMundial
badmotoscooter
Goggles Pisano
malibu_dan
spikehead
YamWOW!
Fargo_Wolf
Akoffroader
mwakey
f3joel
Louisbiker
SpiritWolf15
Krabill
SheWolf
Chadx
73 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Chadx

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 3:26 pm

Navajib wrote:
...I decided to make my own. A friend of mine perfected, programmed, and machined the part, but I sketched the basics. It's 6061 aluminum, and it's very light.

Finished Product:
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Rack2

Very nice. I like the fairly large footprint compared to some other racks. Bigger but not weirdly huge. How thick is it? Thick enough that you feel good about the amount of material removed near the 4 mounting holes? Looks super light-weight, too. Out of curiousity, how much did the material and machining cost? I dare say pretty darn pricey unless a person could find a friend in the biz, like you did.
Back to top Go down
Navajib

Navajib

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 2:18 pm

Chadx wrote:
Very nice. I like the fairly large footprint compared to some other racks. Bigger but not weirdly huge. How thick is it? Thick enough that you feel good about the amount of material removed near the 4 mounting holes? Looks super light-weight, too. Out of curiousity, how much did the material and machining cost? I dare say pretty darn pricey unless a person could find a friend in the biz, like you did.

It was a slab of 6061 3/8". For me it was fairly good price compared to if he were to actually sell it (I paid for materials, tools, and labor). I basically paid for a custom rack for one hell of a deal. I'll have to ask him what his asking price is if he were to make a sale.

As for the design, the program we used had specs like where the weakest points are or how much weight it can hold. It was machined to hold approximately 110 lbs before it would start to bend at its weakest points. But I'll leave the engineer stuff to him. My field is healthcare. thumb

Edit: Well, he said to make one w everything included to get it to your door and on the bike would be $145. Shipping included (US only).
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 8:57 am

Navajib, that rack looks boss! At $145 shipped, with hardware, I expect you'd sell a few of them. Keep us posted if he is going to offer them for sale.
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Giant Loop Bag   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:47 am

Has anyone (YamWOW?) mounted up a Giant Loop Moto bag? I ordered one the other day and am anticipating mounting it. Should be here on Wednesday. I have a FMF pipe and looking at GL's mounting instructions online I'm thinking I'll have to fabricate a mounting point/heat shield.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 4:46 pm

derm75 wrote:
Has anyone (YamWOW?) mounted up a Giant Loop Moto bag? I ordered one the other day and am anticipating mounting it. Should be here on Wednesday. I have a FMF pipe and looking at GL's mounting instructions online I'm thinking I'll have to fabricate a mounting point/heat shield.
I still need to. I will need to build a shield or use the factory heat shield and a custom mount bracket. I was going to take a flat piece of steel or aluminum bend it and use large hose clamps around the FMF exhaust. I like the idea of the Giant Loop because I'm in a lot of nasty stuff and lay the bike down a lot. I don't want to be in the middle of a trip with broken brackets.

I received this email from Giant Loop.
deal We're also about to introduce as a new product, a self-adhesive heat
shield fabric that will solve almost any heat-related issue on any
bike. If the stainless steel heat shield isn't providing adequate
protection, let us know and we'll ship you a patch of this stuff.

PostSubject: Bags   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 2:23 am

I just did 1200 miles on my WRR to Dawson City Canada (Dust-to-Dawson ADV rally) and back with some mining roads thrown in. Of all the bag setups I saw, including my Dirt Bagz Rangers, I'd get these if I had it to do all over again....

http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-59.htm

47 liters instead of 30

100% water proof without rain over bags.

They mount without special brackets.

$203.50 a set.

Greg
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 12:38 pm

Navajib wrote:
Finished Product:
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Rack3

Completely custom designed, I have an original rack. All I have left still is Powdercoating. I ususally tie random things to it. I have yet to find the awesome tail bag for it. I think I found it though in this thread (Wolfman Peak Tail Bag).
Nice work. This is the tailbag I'm interested in:

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 0000_Gears_Navigator_Tail_Bag_Black

Motorcycle Superstore - Navigator Tail Bag

Designed not to even need a rear rack in the first place. Huge amount of space... as the saying goes, you could stuff a dead hooker in there.

However, I contacted the manufacturer, gave them the WR's rear dimensions and some pics, and they said in their opinion our bikes are a bit too skinny at the back for this to attach well without using a rack, as the bag was intended. I should just order one and see how it goes, but I'm still trying to arrange for a custom rack build that would solve this and all my other packing concerns. The manufacturer suggests a minimal mounting area would be 11" wide at the front and 9" wide at the taillight end.

What are the measurements on that rack you made, anyways?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Wolfman Tank Bag sizes   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 6:55 pm

2Wheelz wrote:
I've just gone with the Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Small_IMG_0878

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Small_IMG_0883

The Wolfman Explorer Lite bag is larger than the Enduro bag and doesn't seem to get in my way and also fits very well on the R². It's easy to move aside when fueling by just unclipping the aft clips and moving it over. I wanted a bag that could hold my camera and easily reached items and found that I carried too much for the small Enduro bag.
Could you perhaps take a few really detailed pictures of that tank bag on your bike and either post them here or email them to me? Maybe a couple from rider's eye view and directly above best of all? Wolfman says what you're doing can't work!

I'm in the same boat - my DSLR won't fit in the Enduro size bag and I thought you might be on to something. However, when I phoned Wolfman to order the Lite, they thought they were doing me a favour by swearing up and down that the Lite was too big for the WR and would slop all over the bike and me more of a hindrance than helpful. I remembered I'd seen your post somewhere and finally came snooping around here and found it again.

Anyways, I'd like to take a real close look and then I can go talk with Wolfman again. I wish I could just talk my wife into firing up her industrial sewing machine and custom make one, but she's too busy with her new bird dog puppy these days to pay any attention to me.

The Wolfman tank bags shake out something like this:
Enduro:
• Length: 9"
• Width: 5 1/2"
• Height: Front 7 3/8"
• Rear 3 1/2"

Small Expedition Tank Bag:
• Length: 9 3/4"
• Width: 5 1/2"
• Height: Front 8"
• Rear 4 1/4"
• Height is adjustable by about 3"

Explorer Lite:
• Length: 11"
• Width: 8 3/4"
• Height: Front 8 1/4"
• Height is expandable to 11 1/2"

Sucks when there's no shops around where you can try things to see how they'll fit!
Back to top Go down
2Wheelz

2Wheelz

PostSubject: Wolfman Explorer Lite Tank Bag fitting the R²   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 7:47 am

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Small_IMG_0826Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Small_IMG_0923Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Small_IMG_0937Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Small_IMG_0801

hey Jäger.

Here's few pix of the Wolfman Explorer Lite on my R². As you can see in the following pix, it does fit the R². There's even a pic with the tank expanded too for you too see. Pay close attention to how I've attached the aft webbing to the aluminum frame. Since it is a big tank bag you really have to cinch it down good. I've had ZERO problems with it shifting around while off road or on. Sure it's a big tank bag, but when you have to tote a good sized camera, it works well.

Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Giant Loop Installed   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 1:04 am

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 GL129

Finally got the Giant Loop installed! wings

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 GL125

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 GL128

I was afraid without the "normal" number plate I would have to make a custom heat stand off. The Giant Loop when mounted stood away from the exhaust about three inches. No problems. thumb The Giant Loop is well made and has nice heavy straps for putting items on the back. This bag is for dirt riding and will withstand a wreck.

edteamslr

PostSubject: serious pelican investigation   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:03 am

Following on from an earlier post I'd like to mount a Pelican case for a long distance trip.

There is info here about all sorts of luggage options and opions but nothing about pelicans on dirtbikes
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/AftermarketLuggageFAQ.htm

Pelican case Sizes
#L x W x D(cm):Weight (with foam):
130025.1 x 17.8 x15.51.6kg
140030.0 x 22.5 x 13.22.1kg
145037.1 x 25.8 x 15.23.0kg
150042.5 x 28.4 x 15.53.7kg

Which case do you think is the biggest I should be considering? I'd like to use a mounting plate so I can remove the box when I leave the bike - some sort of locking mechanism at one end with a ridge to hold the box on the rack at the other. I think the Big TurboCity rack is too big but I like the Borrego rack, especially the idea of attaching it to the seat bolts. Anyone have any ideas?
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:49 am

I know this has been asked before but here goes anyways....
The only mod left that I want to do on my bike is add some
carrying capacity ie: dirtbagz, tail bag, etc...I just can't seem
to find the GYTR rear rack GAHHHH anywhere!! Does anybody
know where this can be had? And please don't say my local
dealer...they suck, can't get crap, and charge way more than
anything is worth. I saw one on ebay about 2 weeks ago and
it got snatched up before I could get to my computer to purchase it.
Thanks for any help!!
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Pelican update   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 9:17 am

Found this. I know it's a XChallenge but it looks a bit like the rear of a WR²

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274481

It appears the 1300 or 1400 is a good choice on its own but with the 1450 you might want panniers to cushion a fall.
Still not seen any good quickrelease/lockable mounting solutions. Bolting it on is so_yesterday!
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: GL   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 1:25 am

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Walla2008

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Walla2028

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Walla2025

Giant Loop put to the test and passed. thumb The Loop handled well on the bike. We did an overnight trip in the Blue mountains to test out our camp set up. We will be doing the OBDR in August. It is a 950 mile trip from Oregon/California border to Oregon/Washington border all dirt. I laid the bike down on some nasty single track and no problems with the bag.

Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 12:29 am

Jäger wrote:
YamWOW! wrote:
Giant Loop put to the test and passed. thumb The Loop handled well on the bike. We did an overnight trip in the Blue mountains to test out our camp set up.

Hmmmm... looks pretty good! Requires drilling some holes in the plastics if I remember correctly?

How much were you able to stuff in the Loop?

Here are the holes for the giant Loop.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Camp006

Two holes in side plastic.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Camp005

Two holes in rear fender.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Camp004

Easy easy! thumb Here is the packing list. deal https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/packing-list-f18/packing-list-for-the-giant-loop-t727.htm

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 12:55 pm

The Giant Loop looks good. So once the giant loop is installed, how quickly can one remove and reinstall? Do all six of those bolts need to be removed every time you take it off the bike? Even though I remove my dirtbagz rarely, it's nice that they are completely off the bike in about 10 - 15 seconds.

From what I can tell, the nice part of the Giant Loop is it stays put and doesn't move around, as much as the dirtbagz, when running over rough terrain. With heavy items in them, the dirtbagz tend to flop up when speeding through woops.

Dirtbagz (Rangers) - volume: 15 liters each (Total of 30 liters).
Giant Loop - volume: 30 liters.

They both have the same volume. The configuration would mean different possibilities for each. Both probably have pros and cons there. I guess one would just have to pack them different to get the best utilization of volume.

Any comments on if the higher center of gravity (vs the dirtbagz) would impact slow speed balance?

Exhaust clearance and "warm spot in the bag" issues? It looks like you still had 3"+ of clearance, much like you posted when you first installed. After some slow moving, but low gear and high rpm riding and then parking, did the heat radiate up and heat up the bag? Can't be any worse than my dirtbagz pretty much laying on the stock exhaust heat shield. Just curious if it's a good place to warm up a cheese sandwich. Ha.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 1:03 pm

About 10 minutes to remove. I went with the Giant Loop just because I lay the bike down a lot. baldy I was afraid I would bust a bracket on a long trip and have Zip ties all over it. I was impressed on how well it handled. The GL sits off the exhaust and stays cool.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 GL128

Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 1:11 pm

I just ordered new plastic for easy removal. Front and rear fender Left and Right side covers and stickers was only $83. You can also bolt it to a rack.

1 of 3D7-21711-00-00 - COVER, SIDE 1 @ $15.58ea.

1 of 3D7-21721-00-00 - COVER, SIDE 2 @ $15.58ea.

2 of 3D7-21781-00-00 - EMBLEM 1 @ $4.00ea.

1 of 3D7-21611-00-00 - FENDER, REAR @ $22.98ea.

1 of 3D7-21511-00-00 - FENDER, FRONT @ $21.26ea.

1 of 32C-2179W-00-00 - PLATE, EPA (NON CALIFORNIA) RXL (32C1) U49 @ $1.57ea.

Last edited by YamWOW! on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 2:19 pm

YamWOW! wrote:

Why the new EPA sticker for the swing arm? Did you get busted by someone for peeling it off?
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 2:37 pm

mwakey wrote:
YamWOW! wrote:

Why the new EPA sticker for the swing arm? Did you get busted by someone for peeling it off?
I took all the warning stickers off. The one on the swing arm left a mark on the paint I can't get off. For a buck and a half I'll just replace it. dunno

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Powdercoat5-2

antipode

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 5:23 am

lotsofwheels wrote:
Here's a picture of my RR with a Cycleracks.com rack and Cortech bags. I like the rack because it is plenty stout and large. I almost feel like I could get rid of the 4Runner and carry sheets of plywood on the bike now.
Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Wr250r_bags

lotsofwheels, where are the mounting points for your rack? on the pegs?
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 3:30 pm

Heading to Death Valley this weekend for the first time on the WR. It's actually getting trucked down, but this will be my first time with the small bike and in the desert, it is best to come prepared.

I was able to make the tank panniers from the GS work on the little bike.

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 680899046_4UqBN-L

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 680899080_Uwopo-L
Back to top Go down
levity

levity

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 4:42 pm

LTS - YIKES, I'd be worried about the stability of that that fuel can!

Guess you can transfer gas out of it ASAP, but
Dirtbagz will carry enough fuel in cans to get ya most places in DVNP.
They also hold it lower and more securely and don't interfere with get-offs. [see avatar]

Good time to go as temps are getting nice in DV! Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 525406

Some rides loops that you can make on the WRR with minimal extra fuel are described here and here.

Last edited by levity on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 5:42 pm

I shook the holy horse snot out of it with nary a leak and there are 3 sets of Rok Straps holding it on, so I should be golden. Plus, it's just DV, so no big jumps or the like- plus I'm too old and broken to do that stuff anyway.

Primary reason for lamo/cheapo is that I'm literally FLAT broke from being unemployed for so long and I can't afford to get a rack or anything- the need for a front tire took care of that.

Also, we might be moving to Germany and if that is the case, we will only be taking 2 vehicles, the GS and a car for her as all others will be sold.
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 11:41 pm

haha.. just found my answer to my last post!

lost it over in the Monster thread.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11117019&postcount=7776
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage   Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tail Racks, Saddlebags, Tank bags & Misc. luggage
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next