Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Hi there, new from Ontario

Go down 
+2
craigq
Delta_T
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Delta_T

Delta_T

Hi there, new from Ontario Empty
PostSubject: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Hi, I have been lurkin' around a while and decided to register. Canuckistani

I haven't had a bike for a couple of years, but miss it too much and decided to pick it up again.

I have set my mind on getting a WR250, not sure if it should be and X or R. Although I would probably use it mostly on the road, I do prefer the looks of the R. The wheels and tires make me think of my the only bike I regret selling... my old and faithful '76 XT500. I have owned many more, but that was my only true love.

I have been looking around and I have only found only one (an '08 X) in my price range (although it still needs some negotiation) and reasonably close to where I live.
My neighbour has a '09 XT250 for sale, but I am not sure if that is what I want, it seems so small and I am afraid I will outgrow it.

If you like I will post a picture of 'old faithful' thumb

Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 8:17 am

Welcome ! Where in ON are you? I see WRR/X's show up on the local Kijiji sometimes...

Post up your pics of 'old faithful' here : Retro-Nostalgia Subforum
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks !
Just about an hour and a half from you, 40 minutes north of Kingston. In a little town called Delta.
I actually found two on Kijiji. One R and one X. The 'R' guy doesn't respond to my emails so I have not much hope for that one. The X however sounds decent (but what do I know scratch )
There is also one in Rockland On, but it is too expensive and too far (160km) I am looking in the 4k range.

Back to top Go down
ejfranz1

ejfranz1

PostSubject: XT   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 10:51 am

Welcome - The XT will be a disappointment. I bought a XT225 2 years ago because I could not find a WR. They lack in power, suspension and height. I have also owned a 87 XT350; not a bad bike. It had more low end torque than the WR, but the WR has way more top end - I have had the WR up to 125 km/h with throttle/power to spare.

This summer, 4 used WRs came up for sale and I finally got one. I have put on over 1K km. $4K might be a bit of an issue in getting one. Here they ranged in price from $4800 for a US 08 model to $7000 for an 11 that was used for 3 months. In the past when I saw a WR for sale it was sold within a day - hence my long wait.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 11:16 am

Delta_T wrote:
Thanks !
Just about an hour and a half from you, 40 minutes north of Kingston. In a little town called Delta.
I actually found two on Kijiji. One R and one X. The 'R' guy doesn't respond to my emails so I have not much hope for that one. The X however sounds decent (but what do I know scratch )
There is also one in Rockland On, but it is too expensive and too far (160km) I am looking in the 4k range.
I've riden through Delta, after riding South on 14 and heading to 3.

If you get an X, a bunch of X riders here have put on dirt tires on the 17" rims (need to put a narrow rear tire on front.)
Alternatively, Wheeling Cycle sell sets of R wheels laced to X hubs (about US$850, + tires + disc)

PM me if a decent WR250R/X pops up in greater Ottawa, I can have a look for you...
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:04 pm

ejfranz1 wrote:
.... The XT will be a disappointment. ....
That's what I thought.. So I'm thinking of skipping that one and concentrate on a WR.

ejfranz1 wrote:
.... $4K might be a bit of an issue in getting one ....
I know, but I figured that it is more or less the end of the season and some prefer cash instead of storing it for the winter. And there is always a deal out there. But I agree. $5k and higher is more realistic.

deerHater wrote:

If you get an X, a bunch of X riders here have put on dirt tires on the 17" rims (need to put a narrow rear tire on front.)
Alternatively, Wheeling Cycle sell sets of R wheels laced to X hubs (about US$850, + tires + disc)

PM me if a decent WR250R/X pops up in greater Ottawa, I can have a look for you...
Delta is nice and quite. Next time pop in for a quick coffee or something, you're always welcome.

It might be an idea getting two sets of wheels. I will probably be driving asphalt more than dirt, but you never know with a bike like this. There are so many back roads here that I might be tempted.

Thanks for the offer to take a look if I find one near Ottawa. And extra set of eyes and a bit of expertise will help for sure. If you see something in you neck of the woods, let me know too.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Delta_T wrote:
deerHater wrote:

Delta is nice and quite. Next time pop in for a quick coffee or something, you're always welcome.

It might be an idea getting two sets of wheels. I will probably be driving asphalt more than dirt, but you never know with a bike like this. There are so many back roads here that I might be tempted.

Thanks for the offer to take a look if I find one near Ottawa. And extra set of eyes and a bit of expertise will help for sure. If you see something in you neck of the woods, let me know too.
That's a nice looking Inn / super-B&B!. Is that your business?
On longer bike trips, when I'm not camping, I prefer staying in nice well kept little motels, or B&Bs, over McHotels.

I'll watch for any WRs for sale in Ottawa, but even though I know they exist (craiqq), I've never seen another WR here.
BTW, I bought my 2009 X as a new left-over early in 2010, $2,500 off MSRP.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:41 pm

deerHater wrote:

That's a nice looking Inn / super-B&B!. Is that your business?
On longer bike trips, when I'm not camping, I prefer staying in nice well kept little motels, or B&Bs, over McHotels.

I'll watch for any WRs for sale in Ottawa, but even though I know they exist (craiqq), I've never seen another WR here.
BTW, I bought my 2009 X as a new left-over early in 2010, $2,500 off MSRP.

Thanks and yeah, it's our business. I am the janitor -slash- poolboy -slash- chef -slash- owner -slash- cleaner wink

You are right, there is not much out there. That's why I am looking at this one now. At least the guy responded to my emails and as far as I can tell, it looks decent.
I might call the guy and take a look. Any thing specific to look for?
Yamaha has some deals but even if I could find a left over '09 or '10 I would probably not want to spend that kind of money. Freight/tax/PDI adds up.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Delta_T wrote:
You are right, there is not much out there. That's why I am looking at this one now. At least the guy responded to my emails and as far as I can tell, it looks decent.
I might call the guy and take a look. Any thing specific to look for?
Yamaha has some deals but even if I could find a left over '09 or '10 I would probably not want to spend that kind of money. Freight/tax/PDI adds up.
$600 cash rebate for a new 2009 is not much of a deal. I think for my $2,500 off it was 60% Yamaha 40% dealer.
* EDIT * Oops, I see now it is $1,500 off by Yamaha for WR250X. That matches mine.
For mine Freight & PDI was $400. I have not bought used since they brought in the HST, but I'll guess for a used bike you'll now have to pay 13% GAHHHH

To watch for used:
2008 only: fuel pumps die when hot. About $250 Cdn for do-it-yourself replacement.
All: Check underneeth the swingarm at the guides. If the chain is improperly adjusted, it can wear through the guide prematurely and 'eat' the swingarm.

Nice add-ons:
- fuel programmer (bike is very lean when stock.)
- muffler (FMF Q4 is good choice - more power but not too loud.)
- re-worked suspension. Although adjustable, stock damping is not very good.

Good luck with your search, you can't have mine. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will need them because I would not be able test drive one for now.

I officially don't have a M license believe it or now. I emmigrated from Europe a couple of years ago and it is not possible to transfer my drivers license. I even had to redo my G, which is frustrating to say the least. Imagine having a girl next to you with less experience while doing your road test.
If I was Korean, no problem, they transfer it without an issue, but apparantly they don't have an agreement with my country so I am basically screwed. I went over to the office yesterday and they will send my papers to Kingston to see if there is a chance to do the transfer, but if not, I will have to do the G1 etc. again, which I think is stupid. I have been driving bikes for more then 20 years ! I blame ottawa, but not you... Very happy

I went to my local Yami dealer and they had a '06 F for sale for almost 5k. The sales person said it could be converted for road use for an extra 500. The bike looked shabby to say the least. Not much of a deal if you ask me. And you have to add 13% tax and whatever they charge for delivery.
Back to top Go down
ejfranz1

ejfranz1

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Delta_T wrote:

I went to my local Yami dealer and they had a '06 F for sale for almost 5k. The sales person said it could be converted for road use for an extra 500. The bike looked shabby to say the least. Not much of a deal if you ask me. And you have to add 13% tax and whatever they charge for delivery.

The F is a different motor (5 valves) requiring more maintenance. Also beware of RUM (Restricted Use Motorcycles) being registered.
Quebec was the first to say no more even it had been insured before. BC is following suite. Have no idea about Ontario.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Yeah, I know. Putting some lights on the thing doesn't make it an R. I googled a bit and an F not even close to a R or X.
It was obvious that the sales guy had no clue. It was one of those people that just tries too hard if you know what I mean. I hate that.
It had been a while since I was there (I bought some other stuff there, like a sled, an ATV etc..) and things seemed different. He had no idea who I was and what I wanted. I know it's duck season and all but they had absolutely nothing to do there and all the people that I knew there were gone. Rumour has it that this dealership is in trouble, it sure looked like that to me.

Ah well, the search goes on.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 2:10 pm

I just a WR250X !! cheers

Hi there, new from Ontario Wr01
Hi there, new from Ontario Wr02
Hi there, new from Ontario Wr03
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 8:00 pm

That didn't take long. Congrats ! thumb
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks man, I am happy. You're right, it didn't take long, life is to short.

I still have to figure out that ordeal with my drivers licence. I just can't get over it.
Let's just hope for the best. Worst case I will have to redo the tests. I was reading up on it and apparantly they don't do road test after September until May. That would be a bummer to say the least. I can't wait to take it for a spin.

It's a nice bike, hardly a scratch on it, looks like it has been well taken care of. It has a few upgrades too: Pro Taper bars, Acebis short supermoto front fender, fork and swingarm sliders, undermount mirrors, a skid plate and a new back tire.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Man oh man. GAHHHH

I finally got things moving forward again. I went to the driver test office today and explain my situation (again) I managed to get my 22 years of experience accepted.. but I still had to do the eye test, Signs test, G1 test and M1 test. So I did and passed them all in one go. Took 5 minutes but I had to wait for two hours to get the results. Because I have the experience I can skip the M2 and do the full M on october 20th. Hope the weather is okay.

I am going to pick up the bike tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out. wings
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 8:43 am

Delta_T wrote:
Because I have the experience I can skip the M2 and do the full M on october 20th. Hope the weather is okay.
I am going to pick up the bike tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out. wings
Excellent!
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:02 am

Just wondering, deerHater... why do you hate deer? They make excellent jerky !! wink
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Picked up the bike today. wings

I will register it tomorrow and take it for a spin. Sweeeeet...

Hi there, new from Ontario Photo%2011-09-29%206%2030%2012%20PM
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 6:56 pm

I got it insured and plated this morning, no problems there. Had to pay taxes en fees but such is life.

I then drove the bike to my workshop and installed my GPS (a Garmin Zumo 660).
I am not sure if the location is where I want it, but it works and it's easy to use.
I also installed different mirrors, rabbit ear style. The bike had these under mounted ones and I didn't really like them. It might not be the pretty, but they work better and I will need them when I do my road test at the end of October.

Although they expected rain, I took it for a longer spin, approx 100 km. I managed to stay dry.
I also have a sled and at the gear sure come in handy. My helmet, jacket etc.. I also dusted of my old army boots (27 years old haha).

What a great little bike. I love it. Nice and agile and enough power for an old fart like me. Took some backroads to see a friend at his work.

Today was a good day.... thumb

Hi there, new from Ontario Photo%2011-09-30%202%2057%2014%20PM

Hi there, new from Ontario Photo%2011-09-30%2012%2055%2046%20PM

Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm

I live in Ontario too, up north in Sudbury..

looks like a clean WR.. I've been looking for an X for a while..

Just picked one up yesterday! A 2008 Wr250x in black!
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Congrats! Too bad Sudbury is quite a way. I'd love to see it.
Black would be my favourite. Got any pics?

I absolutely love mine. Great bike. Put more the 1k on it since I got it.
How do you like it so far?
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:15 am

Delta_T wrote:
Congrats! Too bad Sudbury is quite a way. I'd love to see it.
Black would be my favourite. Got any pics?
Meet half way, near Huntsville?

Calling all Eastern Ontario WR250X/R owners, event in 2012? Very happy

Seriously, in 2008 I hosted the Ottawa Magical Mystery Tour, we stayed at 'Wolf Den' just East of Huntsville. Lots of nice twisty paved roads nearby, and lots of dirt riding for R riders.

deerHater: I've been taged by deer twice: once on Suz SV650S, once on Tri 675 Street Triple. Already had some very-near-deer encounters on my WR. budah
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 12:45 pm

[quote="deerHater"]
Delta_T wrote:
Calling all Eastern Ontario WR250X/R owners, event in 2012? Very happy

Set it up, I'm in !
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 10:33 am

I see your bike has the Yamalink..

If you don't want it cause you're a tall guy.. Let me know..

I'm 5'5" and I have an aftermarket lower seat (about 1" lower than stock), and I'm looking for a Yamalink..

Let me know if you wanna make a deal..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi there, new from Ontario   Hi there, new from Ontario Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi there, new from Ontario
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next