Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My first mods - new seat

Go down 
+2
TwilightZone
bmwrider1946
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bmwrider1946

My first mods - new seat Empty
PostSubject: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:46 am

Knowing what a pansy a-- I am - literally - my fist purchase was a Sargent seat. When I ordered it last week they said it would be 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. It was delivered in 6 days. I will install it today and report later. Any one else have comments about this seat?
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 11:59 am

Thinking about a new seat for mine.... keep us posted on how it comes out.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:41 pm

still haven't seen any pictures of this thing except the ones on their website... post some pics for us when you get it installed from a bunch of different angles if you would.

Thank.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: First impression   My first mods - new seat EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 8:28 am

Since I come from the touring bike world, it is somewhat difficult to compare the new Sargent to the old seat but I can say that the improvement is quite significant. The stock seat started feeling uncomfortable within a half hour. I took a 90 minute ride last evening and no problems whatsoever. It appears to be well thought out. The back part of the seat provides almost twice as much support area as the stock seat. One comment I can make is that the Sargent is not as "sticky" as the stock seat so for those who are looking for that characteristic you might be disappointed.[img]My first mods - new seat Img0127hb By bmwrider1946 at 2011-09-25[/img][img]My first mods - new seat Img0126ub By bmwrider1946 at 2011-09-25[/img][img]My first mods - new seat Img0125m By bmwrider1946 at 2011-09-25[/img][img]My first mods - new seat Img0128txs By bmwrider1946 at 2011-09-25[/img]
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 10:42 am

Cool. Thanks for the pics.

I'm still debating but I think this pushes me a little close toward the "yea" side.
Back to top Go down
dulinor

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 2:06 pm

I was *just* about to come on here and start a new thread on the very same seat. Mine came last week and I've been riding it since (with some exceptions to take the street bike out with some buddies.) For using their own pan it went on pretty easy - a little bit tight getting it down and bolting it in, but nothing worrisome and no mods needed. (My under-seat area is generally stock - air box, etc. is still there although I've added a small set of electrical relays to power a few things and have a waterproof thing for my registration/insurance info.)

I'd agree that the improvement is real - I still feel some pressure points but it also could be foam that hasn't broken in completely. Up front it's shaped like the stock seat - still easy to stand on the pegs and move around, but if you slide back just a tad it's way wider and a more comfortable position for long pavement stretches. Haven't done any stretches much more than an hour (stock tank, so that's typical.)

My Alaska Leather sheepskin recently died so till that gets replaced I'll ride it bare. Definitely "slipperier" - I have some mesh riding pants with a really grippy butt that made it hard to slide around on the OEM seat so could be a perfect combo. With the "fall" pants on I did find myself sliding forward a little without intending to. The material looks tougher than the suede variants I hear about for other custom seats, I'd have no problem dumping this in mud and hosing it off. I'll be taking it to Moab in a couple of weeks, where mud is probably not on the agenda but lots of other abuse should be.

So to sum up - I'm a fan. Looks like an improvement and I had the same quick turnaround. (Although I never got a shipment notification - I was just thinking of pinging Sargent to see when they'd expect to get the seat out and there it was on my front door.) Got to keep my OEM seat, just in case, but not sure when I'll use it (maybe donate it to any buddies who want a Renazco or something.)
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Final report   My first mods - new seat EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 7:06 am

I spent over 4 hours on this seat yesterday and I have to give it two thumbs up. Even by the end of the ride I wasn't even thinking about my butt.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 am

I wonder if they have an option for a more tacky top material. The slippery bit has me concerned since I occasionally slide on the stock seat. It's a bit alarming when someone yanks out in front of you and you slide up to the gas tank as soon as you hit the brakes...
Back to top Go down
jaherbst

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:22 am

Arkmage wrote:
I wonder if they have an option for a more tacky top material. The slippery bit has me concerned since I occasionally slide on the stock seat. It's a bit alarming when someone yanks out in front of you and you slide up to the gas tank as soon as you hit the brakes...

How much (cost) is this seat?

Thanks, Jack
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:26 pm

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.415638/sc.2/category.18115/.f
Back to top Go down
jaherbst

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks bmwrider1946. Is the seat more comfortable and could they make it 1" lower?

Jack

Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:50 pm

Seat is most definitely more comfortable. I don't believe they make more than one version but you could email them and ask. I lowered my bike with the after market linkage. If you have already done that you might check with some of the other seat companies who do more of a custom modification of the existing seat or ask other members here on the board if any of the other seat companies do this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first mods - new seat   My first mods - new seat Empty

Back to top Go down

My first mods - new seat
Page 1 of 1