Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
format120

Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO Empty
PostSubject: Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO   Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Returned the shock/fork settings to stock, seems the previous owner stiffened up both ends to the max needlessly. Rides better imo and still stiff enough.
Ride height was dropped so far that it made adjusting the rebound on the shock impossible. Changed that back to about stock.
Gearing is 4:1 so I'll be going a little closer to stock (~3.7:1) with a 13/48 or 14/50 combo.

I'll post a few pics in this thread when I get some good morning shots. I've got a few questions though...

The bike came with a Yamalink which their website claims will improve rear traction and overall handling. To owners who have installed one, what do you think? I like the ride height up at stock levels a lot, but if I get better performance with it lower then I don't think I'll miss any ground clearance as I don't offroad a lot. As for gearing, will a 50 tooth clear the chain guard or will that need to be moded? I've always been taught that you shouldn't go below a 14 tooth for the front because it stresses the chain too much and causes excessive wear.

Great bike so far and it seems it's a lot better the closer I get it to stock. thumb
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO   Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 6:56 am

format120 wrote:
I've always been taught that you shouldn't go below a 14 tooth for the front because it stresses the chain too much and causes excessive wear.

I read this a lot.
I think it's basically a crock.
The bike comes stock (straight off the showroom floor) with a 13-tooth sprocket.

As far as errors with chains and sprockets go, it's my experience that the mistakes are often made with how much (or, most often, how little) slack the chain is set at.
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO   Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 10:48 am

format120 wrote:
As for gearing, will a 50 tooth clear the chain guard or will that need to be moded?

I was wondering the same thing. I just put on a 13/48 with 112 link chain and it is pretty close to the chain guard. I was hoping I could slip a 50 tooth rear on there with the same chain at some point if I wasn't happy with the 48.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO   Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO Empty

Back to top Go down

Picked up a WRR - removing the "improvements" from the PO
Page 1 of 1