Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"

Go down 
+7
skierd
Delta_T
BuilderBob
mrgeoff
trav72
motocrossmann
Walter Matthau
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Walter Matthau

Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" Empty
PostSubject: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 2:20 am

Watch a couple of bike-fanatic actors take absurdly heavy bikes through some foreign terrain, with a lot of neat human interaction as well as some conflicts with mechanical reality!

A great way to wile away the cold, wet evenings, and plan for next summer!

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Round-Ewan-McGregor/dp/B004DP7S9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321941661&sr=8-1

Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 1:40 pm

There is a follow on series to this one called "Long Way Down" that goes from the northern area of the UK, down to Cape Town. It is equally as good...
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Yes, that was a good series. I watched it about 5 years ago. Very happy

Long Way Down was not as good as "Round".

But I did like the 3rd series - Charley Boorman: Race To Dakar. It gives you a pretty good insight what it actually takes to enter the Dakar.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Long way round was the better series, watch the first 3 or so episodes, and wonder how hard KTM kicked themselves, and they should be kicking themselves still, BMW GS are HOT here :-D
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 4:30 pm

mrgeoff wrote:
and wonder how hard KTM kicked themselves, and they should be kicking themselves still, BMW GS are HOT here :-D

It makes you wonder if KTM really thought their bikes wouldn't make the trip or they would receive negative press in regards to their reliability.
Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 6:09 pm

I dunno. KTM has better dirt credentials than BMW, IMO. The Bimmer actually broke at one point...
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 6:26 pm

motocrossmann wrote:
I dunno. KTM has better dirt credentials than BMW, IMO. The Bimmer actually broke at one point...

It's not a matter of having more dirt credentials. But true or not, KTM has always had to deal with questions about their reliability. If they would have sponsored this ride and their bikes had many problems, it would not have done their reputation any good. That's all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Walter Matthau wrote:
Watch a couple of bike-fanatic actors take absurdly heavy bikes through some foreign terrain, with a lot of neat human interaction as well as some conflicts with mechanical reality!

A great way to wile away the cold, wet evenings, and plan for next summer!

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Round-Ewan-McGregor/dp/B004DP7S9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321941661&sr=8-1

Thanks for posting this! Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" 61865 Just ordered the complete set (you have to look around Amazon for it). My future TV viewing is looking up!
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:48 pm

Thank you for posting this! I just watched two episodes and I love it. What an adventure. bow
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 12:07 am

BTW - you can watch this entire series on youtube
Back to top Go down
Walter Matthau

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 1:19 am

Wow, glad to see so many people enjoy it. Everybody must be in the same "biker purgatory" season...

Builder Bob; I enjoyed your Alaska blog. Sounds like the way to do a trip; let somebody else worry about the gear. If my neck keeps improving like it's been doing, I'm hoping to do some type of "big trip" next summer. Much as I romanticize former camping exploits, I think I'm gonna stick with hotel-hopping, and leave those teen memories in the sepia-filtered memory file.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 5:32 am

Walter Matthau wrote:
Wow, glad to see so many people enjoy it. Everybody must be in the same "biker purgatory" season...

Builder Bob; I enjoyed your Alaska blog. Sounds like the way to do a trip; let somebody else worry about the gear. If my neck keeps improving like it's been doing, I'm hoping to do some type of "big trip" next summer. Much as I romanticize former camping exploits, I think I'm gonna stick with hotel-hopping, and leave those teen memories in the sepia-filtered memory file.

LOL. I gave up camping a long time ago. Much prefer a comfy bed, hot shower and a warm breakfast prepared by somebody else!

Make plans for next Summer. I'm going to Ireland.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 10:35 am

I'm probably one of the few and just being a young curmudgeon about it, but I did not care for LWR. Every other page seemed to be whining and pining for home mixed with how hard it is for a movie star to travel anonymously with a massive caravan of handlers on a massively overloaded bike in some of the poorest parts of the world. They started to get the idea in Mongolia when they realized they didn't need most of the crap they had on the bikes and I think maybe started to realize the crew idea wasn't the best for actual travel and immersion...

But I still read the damn thing cover to cover in a few days and started planning a RTW trip that will never happen so I guess I'm just being jealousy. poser2
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 3:10 pm

I prefer Mondo Enduro to be honest. It has the spirit of a true adventure and its just a bunch of guys like us going on a crazy round the wold trip with barely any money and without any fancy equipment.

The Long Way series isn't bad, it just hasn't got that adventure feel because you know there is always a crew and truck around to help you out with thousands of dollars of equipment and such. Anyway still a great watch!

if anybody hasn't seen it yet, I highly recommend Mondo Enduro!
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 4:07 pm

trav72 wrote:
motocrossmann wrote:

It's not a matter of having more dirt credentials. But true or not, KTM has always had to deal with questions about their reliability. If they would have sponsored this ride and their bikes had many problems, it would not have done their reputation any good. That's all I'm saying.

The beemers were far from perfect. That ABS incident really makes ya think about electronics integration on any bike.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Chrispy1200 wrote:

The beemers were far from perfect. That ABS incident really makes ya think about electronics integration on any bike.

I agree. I don't think I would want it on any bike I regularly took off road. The simpler the better.
Back to top Go down
CaptainPwnage

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Hey guys if you like this series may I recommend 'Mondo Enduro' as well. It's a movie about a round the world trip on DR350SE's and it's very good. They also have a sequel called 'Terra Cerca' but I preferred the first.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 11:02 am

I'd be lying if I said LWR wasn't a big motivator to taking my WR to Magadan last summer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"   Excellent flick: "Long Way Round" Empty

Back to top Go down

Excellent flick: "Long Way Round"
Page 1 of 1