Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?

Go down 
+3
ZED
mtb
motokid
7 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? Empty
PostSubject: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 7:43 am

What is it, where is it, and how to remove once I get a EFI programmer?

If there's a thread on this please point the way.

Is the "flapper door" part of this?

Help a squid out here please. The more I read the more I want to know.

I appreciate your help completely.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 8:15 am

Please check your PM for your copy of service manual wink

AIS - Air Induction System... used to protect the Earth...

It can be found on 7-9 of the manual... and it is located right on top of the stock horn location...

The flapper door you mentioned is part of the "Air Box Mod".... It has got nothing to do with the AIS Very happy
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 8:21 am

Thanks a heap. Once I get a programmer I'm sure I'll have more questions. The Service Manual is great. I did not have one.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 8:28 am

I shall leave the programmer part to Shewolf wink

But of course if you get a Power Commander III, you can always refer to this little thread and get the maps off some links on page 2
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks. From what I've read, at other forums, the PCIII is more designed towards multi-cylinder street bikes. The FMF is designed more for single cylinder off-road stuff.

So for the WR250 it would seem the FMF would be the thing to use and at a cheaper price than the PCIII.

But that's what I've read.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:25 am

From my research I would say that the difference is more like:
- The PCIII is more adjustable with finer resolution, but you need a computer to adjust it.
- The FMF or 'Tude does not have the same adjustment/fine tuning capability. It's more like changing carb jets. But, you can do it right from the programmer, nothing else required.

I had been leaning to the PCIII, but now I'm leaning towards the 'Tude.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

Attitude

Derek's a great guy and since making one for my bike, I've helped other get a great tuner from a reputable source at a better price. Top notch. thumb He doesn't have it listed there, but call him, let him know you talked to me and he'll know what you need.

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:37 am

Yes ladies and gentelmen, that was SheWolf! Official spokes-wolf for Attitude tuners. Give her a big hand. cheers

Between you and Mwakey we've got about all the research we need for our 'piping' and 'tuning' decisions.
thumb
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:42 am

wink I don't mind sending business his way. I'm quite happy with what he's built so I figured why not let others know. Too bad he lives in Utah or I'd be taking him out for a few beers. freaky

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Road Trip!

Moab is in Utah. Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 10:07 pm

Hmmm....they also have good prime rib dinners there too. Ah, the days of long haul running.... beavis

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Some Kootenay folk we know when down to Moab with their KLRs this past winter. Looking at their pictures makes me want to go even more. droooool

I could see riding that far on my Ducati (actually I did ride it to Utah), or the KLR, but I don't think I'll ride the little bugger that far. Just imagine how many fuel stops that would be. eeek
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 10:33 pm

Yeah but riding with a buddy would make it more enjoyable. Gas stop, check out the 'scenery', ride, more 'scenery'...shit missed that gas station, more 'scenery'....crap well I guess we're pushin. Damn will you get a load of that scenery!!! wink

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 12:32 am

MMMMMMMMMM scenery... wink
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 10:00 am

Sorry to pirate my thread back onto topic here.

Looking behind the shroud last night I could see the AIS unit and a chrome tube running into the cylinder head right by the exhaust pipe. I assume you remove the tube and flange from the cylinder head.

Are you buying a special purpose made cover for the hole you leave when removing that tube and flange?

I have not dug deep enough yet to find what else needs to be plugged.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 10:07 am

If you remove the AIS, you will have 2 things to plug

1. the hole coming out of the motor head
and
2. the hole coming out of the air box (the other side of the bike)

As for 1, you can look at this
Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? Pictureqmf

(please refer to TT at here )

Alternatively, you can chop off the metal tube from the flange, and then hammer it down and seal it with welds... It cheaper, or rather, free... and this is how I handled mine Very happy With some black high temp paint, it will look neat wink

As for the air box side (you can trace the fat arse rubber tube and find the opening), you can just buy some rubber cap and cap it up.

That should do it.. Good luck! thumb
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 10:09 am

You could also buy a complete AIS/air box flapper removal kit here . . . https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/vendor-deals-f14/ais-block-off-plate-t108.htm
Back to top Go down
levity

levity

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Highly recommend Steve Krabill's kit -- it makes it so simple.

Kit includes the block-off plate and caps for the airbox inlet where the AIS hose was atttached
as well as a cap for carb tube where the flapper solenoid is connected.
Saves ya from searching for the right sizes.

He also has a clear set of instructions on how to remove the AIS and flapper/solenoid (pdf w/ color photos).

Thanks, Steve thumb thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 12:22 pm

It does sound attractive to be sure.

$20.00 ain't so bad.

(my wife is gonna kill me over this bike I can just tell......) amazon
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 12:28 pm

levity wrote:
Thanks, Steve thumb thumb

No problem thumb
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 pm

motokid wrote:
Sorry to pirate my thread back onto topic here.
Hey, no worries. Anytime. thumb
That's one thing you'll find about this place is that thread topics are just sort of a general guidline to the conversation. From there it can take a broad meandering path through the trees, past the garden, and into the nearest mudhole. Very happy

When a board is this small you can see conversations start in one thread and then wander off to other threads to be continued. It's kind of like going to a party. What may start in the living room, quickly becomes a 'stair party', and then ends up as a 'kitchen party' when it's time to find further refreshments.

And now, for something less meandering...

Good posts mtb and Krabill. I forgot this information wasn't over here yet. We definitely want to accumulate everything so this site can be THE info source for the WR. thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 5:51 am

I've been around many forums now for years. I get the dynamic. No problems. This place seems great....even if most here appear to have R's and not X's.

So back to this AIS mod, what does it do other than cut off a smidgen of overall weight on the bike?

Will I notice any performance gains?

Does it help the bike suck air better?

I get the concept that if the crap doesn't help the bike go faster, and/or removing it doesn't make the bike go slower then there's no reason not to remove it, but will I notice the change through the seat of my pants?
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 7:13 am

No performance gains, just weight loss. If you don't have an aftermarket pipe and airbox mods, it's kinda of a waste of time to remove the AIS. Better to keep it with the stock exhaust, as it was designed for it. Removing it with the stock pipe will ruin the cat in the pipe over time.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 7:27 am

Thanks for making that clear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?   Total Newb Question - What is the AIS? Empty

Back to top Go down

Total Newb Question - What is the AIS?
Page 1 of 1