Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Custom axel sliders

Go down 
+4
mrgeoff
Arkmage
motokid
WRX17
8 posters
AuthorMessage
WRX17

WRX17

Custom axel sliders Empty
PostSubject: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 7:10 pm

I just recently purchased my WRX and after all the cool and cheap mods i have found to get more performance outta my machine I started work on the protection. I have not found as many ideas so i thought of this one and it worked great so i figured its worth sharing.
First i took an old set of longboard wheels i had laying around then i went to the hardware store got some threaded rod and a couple nuts and washers. After some hacksaw work and about thrity minutes i ended up saving around a hundred and twenty dollars considering the wheels cost 15 and the hardware 5 but the front and rear axel slider kits cost about 120-150. You just fit a washer inside the wheels, slip the rod threw the axel and run the nut even down on top. Make sure to use lock tight and on mine the front rod is smaller than the rear. Also i had to shave a little off the back of one of the wheels to make it sit flush. Hope this gives some one else a good idea.
P.S.
You can find longboard wheels in any color out of any skate shop or online catalog. I have pics just dont know how to download them on this forum yet.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Custom axel sliders Kool_105-albums-animated-gif-s-picture18725t-mrsbeasley

Can I tell him.....can I ...can I.....

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 11:24 pm

motokid wrote:
Custom axel sliders Kool_105-albums-animated-gif-s-picture18725t-mrsbeasley

Can I tell him.....can I ...can I.....

If you don't someone else will...
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:42 pm

What a cool idea, I have been looking for some orange sliders, no idea why this didn't cross my mind before!!!

Threaded rod is usually only 6.6, so pretty weak, I can't see them staying on the bike if I ever crashed it, I would hope that proper sliders used stronger rod, but there is a lot of toot on the net these days, so 6.6 threaded rod is probably as good as most!

Cheers :-)

Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:50 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. There is only about an inch sticking out past the axles unsupported and in a bending load. If anything the weaker alloy would be more likely to bend instead of snap which would be preferred in this application. What I'm trying to say is... it might not be re-usable after a nasty slide but I'd rather replace a $6 all thread rod than a fork tube or swing arm and I'm quite sure even a weak rod won't snap under the load our little bikes would put on it.

My rods are 304SS.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Doh, I would have ended up getting 6.6 mild steel, sure, A2 stainless isn't quite that, but at least it won't rust!!!

I will look for A2 or A4 rod.

Cheers :-)
Back to top Go down
WRX17

WRX17

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 5:28 pm

The beauty of using long board wheels, is like most SLIDERS they are designed to more or less slide across the concrete. Making for little stress on the actual mounting hardware. In the event that the crash is big enough to ruin the slider it will probably grind all the way off and your still screwed. I used the same type of threaded rod for the racing railz on my R6 and it has been down a half dozen times. Never even bent.
Back to top Go down
love2lean

love2lean

PostSubject: Old School   Custom axel sliders EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 5:46 pm

This is Old School guys before SME and other companies started making them. I choose them because its cheap and does the EXACT same thing as store bought!

Custom axel sliders X2

Custom axel sliders DSC01421

Custom axel sliders X1JPEG
Back to top Go down
airbornediver

airbornediver

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 am

Hello Love2lean

Can you tell me how you made your white sliders? I want to put some white sliders on my R2. I like your extra fuel setup.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Motokid - your first post had me rollin for a while. Very funny. Why are you guys putting these sliders on? I own an R so are these for incase you lay the bike down? scratch My bike gets sleepy sometimes but we stay in the dirt.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:59 am

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
Motokid - your first post had me rollin for a while. Very funny. Why are you guys putting these sliders on? I own an R so are these for incase you lay the bike down? scratch My bike gets sleepy sometimes but we stay in the dirt.

When you slide along pavement, things get ground off. The skate wheels, or axle sliders, really just protect the ends of the axle and the bottom of the fork tubes and back of the swing arm from grinding away should it slide.

Also they look sort of cool...

I had a low speed low side and scraped up the end of the rear axle. Since it was low speed it is just a few scratches, but at higher speed it can grind through the threads and the nut and you would have to replace the whole axle. I bought some wheel blanks on eBay for $6.99 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321066908556?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom axel sliders   Custom axel sliders Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom axel sliders
Page 1 of 1