Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? Empty
PostSubject: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 6:07 am

Hi gents
Baught a gps Garmin montana 600 with Holder for handlbar.Where plug the electric power ? Direct to the batery or on switch light or other ? Iwant get shortly way with less road for the wire ? scratch
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Have you got a parking light as our models do have? With a special connector you could just use the parking light wire as displayed here. I connected my Trail-Tech Voyager this way. The Connector is near the handlebar and will cut power when key is turned off.
Back to top Go down
BBRadar

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 9:56 pm

My Garmin GPS has a cable that plugs into those common 12V cigarette plugs. I ran a relay off the tail light to a weatherproof 12V socket just behind the front headlight. Then I just plug the GPS in when I use it.
A quick google found this page which explains a relay and how to wire it: http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

While I was at it, I also added another 12V socket just under the seat, and hooked up my heated grips - all running off the same relay.
Almost the same setup as what these guys sell http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/body_3_circuit.html
Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 9:15 am

flatboarder wrote:
Have you got a parking light as our models do have? With a special connector you could just use the parking light wire as displayed here. I connected my Trail-Tech Voyager this way. The Connector is near the handlebar and will cut power when key is turned off.

Thanks super infos i will do on this way thumb

Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 9:19 am

BBRadar wrote:
My Garmin GPS has a cable that plugs into those common 12V cigarette plugs. I ran a relay off the tail light to a weatherproof 12V socket just behind the front headlight. Then I just plug the GPS in when I use it.
A quick google found this page which explains a relay and how to wire it: http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

While I was at it, I also added another 12V socket just under the seat, and hooked up my heated grips - all running off the same relay.
Almost the same setup as what these guys sell http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/body_3_circuit.html

Thanks you for this reply, but i will use the mod given by the "german r²" (first reply) seems to be more easy for me thumb
Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 9:48 am

flatboarder wrote:
i m really impress
Your blog it's really top level, congretulations
Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 9:53 am

flatboarder wrote:

I would like that you share your blog, only parts of R²
It can be really innterresting for others fans of R²
bow
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 1:08 pm

FG250WRR wrote:

I would like that you share your blog, only parts of R²
It can be really innterresting for others fans of R²
bow
Thanks so much! Several years ago I started to write down things, that I would have loved to read somewhere on the web myself. Hopefully this is helpful to others.
However, how should I share it? Not sure what I should do. At least, my blog is accessible in public and there is a translation widget included for readers convenience. Feel free to link to it as to your needs.
thumb

Phil

(Update: capisco... added share any button Very happy )
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 11:06 pm

I bought a Garmine power chord and hard wired it in. They sell them for hardf wiring in to a system. The connector for the unit just hangs loose zip tied to my mount for the GPS unit. I like to hard wire in the GPS power. IN past I have found that vibration from th eengine can cause a regular cigerett lighter type plug to move around and loose its contact.

I ran a power and ground wire from the battery to the front of the bike. From these wires I power heated grips, power plug for charging phone and the GPS. I have a relay in the positive wire so it is only on when the ignition key is turned on. The relay is powered from the left front turn signal running light. The front turn signals are on at low intensity as running lights at all times once the ignition key is turned on.. So this makes a great source to power a relay.
Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 4:16 pm

FG250WRR wrote:
flatboarder wrote:

Thanks super infos i will do on this way thumb

H i again Flatboarder
I m wondering with your system if parking light it s on when the motor is running ?
: for me she turn to off because it s the "normal light " who take relay when the motor hé s running
secondly, there is enough intensity for pulse and charge m'y garmin because parking light get smala intensity ?
droooool
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:42 am

FG250WRR wrote:
I m wondering with your system if parking light it s on when the motor is running ?
It is supposed to be. For this to work, you need to create a "fork cable". I need to get me the opposite connector as well for this. However, this is not a matter of safety. Main lights are ok for riding.
Quote :

: for me she turn to off because it s the "normal light " who take relay when the motor hé s running
secondly, there is enough intensity for pulse and charge m'y garmin because parking light get smala intensity ?
droooool
Not sure whether I got you right. For my WR, parking light is on all the time the engine is running. At least, I believe so. However, I have been using it this way for several thousands of kilometers. I would be really surprised if the voyager could keep itself running without external power all the time _without any charging_.

I do not think there is an impact on parking light power (if you connect it in parallel to the voyager). However, in case parking light is important for you, you better check yourself :)
Regards, Phil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?   Best way to plug electric power for GPS ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best way to plug electric power for GPS ?
Page 1 of 1