Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New prospective WRR/X owner!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rodskies

New prospective WRR/X owner! Empty
PostSubject: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 11:09 pm

....I had this dream a few months ago, and in this dream I was riding a WRR/X both on/off road and having a blast. I woke up with this "need" for a dual purpose motorcycle, and I've been lusting after the WR since then. I currently ride an R6, and I have been extremely impressed with the quality behind the Yamaha product.

I've been saving and saving ever since the dream I had, and I've accumulated enough (i think) to purchase and farkle a WR! But which one do I go for!? WRR or WRX?

My situation:

I live in Washington, it's cold and wet from around late October to febuary-march(ish) give or take. I don't like riding my R6 in poor weather because I feel like if I loose traction or run into trouble it's going to cost me big time as those bikes arent really meant to "go down". I want to add a dual purpose bike to my arsenal in the hopes that it will allow me to brave more of the elements and give me more peace of mind knowing that I'm not going to have to sell a kidney to fix a bunch of fairing and plastic components if I go down with the R6. I'm not saying the WR will escape damage, but I feel like I'll feel better about riding it.

I've always wanted a dirtbike, as far back as I can remember. I currently own a KX 125 that I bought to learn on, but I've only been able to ride it a handful of times as I don't own a vehicle capeable of towing my trailer. So i'm selling it.

My idea of owning a dual purpose motorcycle is to have a fun way to ride the street and then hit the trails along the way. So i'd be wanting to commute on it, ride it offroad, and then ride it home; and if I feel like riding it to work or school, it'll do that too. With a focus on more year-round riding.

My question is; Does a WRX fit the bill for me based on my needs? Or should I go with the WRR. I understand that the WRR is more dirt orientated, and the WRX is the supermoto; however, I really like the look of the the WRX with dirt 17's on. (say 75% street 25% dirt) (or even 50/50)) Will a WRX with dirt orientated supermoto tires be enough for my novice dirt riding desires? Or should I go WRR.

I want to ride dirt, but I feel like I'm also going to ride a bit of street on it too. I live in a rural area and my commute to work/school is 80 miles a day.

I know this question has been asked before, but if I could get some personal feedback that would help me in my decision!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:18 am

Here is my 2 cents.

I think this decision may actually be driven some by seat height. The seat height is 1 inch lower on the WRX due to the 17 inch tires. I have an inseam of 28 inches. I am fine with the height of the WRR after I put a lower seat on and did the lowering adjustment on the rear shock., but I would have ebjoyed an extra 1 inch lower height.

The narrow 21 inch front tire on the WRR makes it more agile (easier to turn) in slow technical rough terrain and makes it a bit easier to roll over obsticles due to larger diameter. If you will not be getting into any really tough terrain, this may not matter to you. The fatter front tire on the WRX will probably make riding soft sand a bit easier since it will float on top more and be less likely to dig in.

I think either the WRR or WRX will suite your intended purpose. So I would suggest you choose the seat height that suites you. The seat height is something you live with all the time, dirt or pavement.

Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 5:39 pm

I can't say anything about the looks, that is a matter of personal taste. I will tell you I ride the WRR everywhere. It is nimble, flexible, easy to park and a blast off road. I put a Sargent seat on it and a Spitfire windshield that comes off with two thumb screws.
Back to top Go down
rodskies

PostSubject: Re: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 5:46 pm

I appreciate the responses!

My inseam is around 32.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 7:00 pm

With a 32 inch inseam, I would go with the WRR.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 8:57 pm

IMO it's not so much the percentage of street/dirt riding you do but what type (how aggressive) the street/dirt riding you do.

If you are going to be leisurely on the street and aggressive on the dirt - even though you spend more time on the street - than go with the WRR. And visa versa. In other words, where does your passion lay?

Also factor in how technical the dirt you will be hitting is. Fire roads or river crossings? And in some sense, how technical the street will be. Are you going to be blazing thru twisties every day to work or sitting in traffic?

I ride 80/20 street/dirt and I have the WRR. I sight see on the road and ride like my hair is on fire on dirt.

If you want to ride aggressive on street AND dirt - get 2 bikes.

Back to top Go down
rodskies

PostSubject: Re: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Its sounding more and more like the WRR is the bike for me.
Back to top Go down
rodskies

PostSubject: Re: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Boy is it hard to find a used WRR! This money is burning a hole in my pocket! It feels like I'm going to have to tuck tail and go to the dealer for one before long.
Back to top Go down
john westcott

john westcott

PostSubject: Re: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:31 pm

I bought a used street version converted with the dirt spoke wheel set up. I had intended on riding it on both street and trail but after putting good knobies on it I find the dirt much more fun. I have other street bikes and am an agressive street rider. I can't get my rocks of on the street like I can on the dirt, so mine is for the dirt only. It still has a tag just in case I need to take the short way home from the trail. I did lower thfront by raising the forks up in the clamp a little. Good luck with your choice, both versions are fun but 80 mile commute is a bit much if you travel at over 60 mph.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New prospective WRR/X owner!   New prospective WRR/X owner! Empty

Back to top Go down

New prospective WRR/X owner!
Page 1 of 1