Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

a fall of colors..

Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackheart

blackheart

a fall of colors.. Empty
PostSubject: a fall of colors..   a fall of colors.. EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Colorado to New Mexico

Part 1. COS to Salida

After attending my sisters wedding and spending a few days with Kenneth, my youngest son, Kenneth, I was ready for some riding. I had planned on meeting up with a friend in South Fork, but that fell through so I set a southwest course to Cotopaxi where a trial event was to be held. My oldest son Matt, and his wife and daugther have really taken to the sport. Me, I am balanced challenged.

So I left Kenneth's and headed up the Gold Camp Road toward Leadville/ Cripple Creek. The morning was crisp and leaving the city an quiet solitude was more felt than heard. The aspens in the high country were just staring to turn. By the time I hit the CO/NM border they were in fulll color!
a fall of colors.. Ab359ce4
a fall of colors.. A411474b
a fall of colors.. 610465f3

At Cripple Creek I had some breakfast, and the son of the owner was asking all kinds of question about the bike. Told him this was the best of the best for me! Leaving mining country there are two choices, Phantom Canyon and Shelf Road. Since Shelf is the furthest west I took it, dropping elevation and shedding clothes as the temp climbed. Turning west takes me through Canon City, so named because of its proximity to the Royal Gorge. Then it was on to Cotopaxi where I finally found where the event was to be held. Looking at the map I saw a back country way of 40 miles into Salida so off I went. That ride is a great meandering dirt road that goes through ranch land, and has vistas that go on for miles.
a fall of colors.. 51b32fd6

The next day I took the same road back and noticed a sign that said "Hartsel". Thought to myself that one could ride and ride and ride. One of the cool things about Coloirado is that is offroad friendly. I have always had no hassle riding there, and I do my upmost to be respectful and appreciative.

While in Cotopaxi I watched Matt do his thing and met a very nice couple from Ridgeway who like me were there because their son was riding. They gave me their contact info, told me that they had plenty of room, and George said if I made it there we would the Uncomphgre Plateau.
Filed that away, and packed up. Before I headed back to Salida Matt Laid out a route to Ridgeway via dirt and mountain passes.
a fall of colors.. B0506674

I had only gone a couple of miles when around a corner there were wild turkeys! And stopped watching them was a guy on a KTM. Turns out he and a buddy were headed back to a camp that was north and east of Salida. The lesson of the day as I rolled through a fallen down barbed wire fence and fell, was I seem to think I am better than I am when trying to keep up with fast guys! Fortunately no damge done to me or the bike, though I must have looked very sheepish when the tail rider came upon me picking up my bike.

That night I drifted off filled with anticipation for tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

a fall of colors..
Page 1 of 1