Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear

Go down 
+2
ballisticexchris
jkstehn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jkstehn

NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear Empty
PostSubject: NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear   NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:27 am

Greetings all,

Finally found a WRR but it is about 400 miles from home in SOCAL Bike is essentially stock, so small gas tank. I will have a chase vehicle that can carry gear and tools so I do not have to pack light.

This will be a first ride for me in about 20 years other than the MSF rider course and will be my first ride on the street at speed. Got the gear: proper boots, pants, jacket, gloves and helmet.

I have some questions:

Helmet is an XD-3 and there is lots of "discussion" about DS helmets and whether they are the best or worst of both types, with the visor being a lot of the controversy. Should I take the visor off for such a long road ride?

2nd question is about the jacket and pants. Both are mesh gear so I won't likely be hot, but I am concerned about cold. I am expecting temps from the mid 40's early to 65-70F in the afternoon. I have a couple of windblock fleece jackets that I can wear underneath on top, and I have some windblock bicycle tights that I can wear on the bottom. Will that be adequate or will I be just fine at those temps without doing anything special.

Tools: What tools should I take? Should I worry about flats with no offroading planned?

Fuel: Anyone know if there are plenty of gas stations on I-10 between Phoenix and LA? I assume there are, but thought I could carry a 1 gallon can on the rear rack.

Route: The strait shot is I-10. Is there a different, route that is quieter, and can driven in a Mini Cooper S (my wife's ride of choice)?

To think and try to plan for everything is part of my nature and training (US Coast Guard), but I am really out of my element here.

Jonathan

Back to top Go down
ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris

PostSubject: Re: NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear   NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:57 am

Hey there Jonathon, I have done that run a few times on a bike as well as a truck. No need to prep too much. I think your helmet will be fine. If you decide to take the 93 to the 40 I would suggest dressing a little warmer. Your idea of layering the clothes is spot on.

As far as flats, just carry a spare 21" tube as it will work front or rear. If you have AAA + better yet. A few tire irons and the stock tool kit will be good enough for this ride

There are plenty of gas stations so fuel wont be an issue if you're traveling on the 10. One thing I suggest is ride during daylight hours. Start out when the sun is well into the sky as deer tend to come out dawn and dusk.

This will be a easy and fun day ride each way. That's really cool you are getting your ride!
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear   NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 pm

For clothing at those speeds at this time of year you want to block the wind from your mesh. Outer shell recommended (windproof/waterproof). That'd be the most important layer to add.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear   NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:35 pm

+1 on the shell. I ride in cold weather a lot, being in Canada (was out on Saturday in fact, and about to head out today).
I find mesh is pretty ineffective much below 65. You'd be close to hypothermic at 40 on the highway eeek
At that temp, I'd have a heavy jacket, wool sweater and probably another insulating layer, or the electrics turned on.

Last edited by sturgeon on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear   NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 2:28 pm

You will need a real shell - heavy duty - top and bottom. Not "windstopper fleece" or "windstopper base layers" or anything like that. The speed, the cold and the length of the ride will conspire to strip you of heat in a hurry. You can always strip them off as the morning turns to day and throw them in your support car. But trust me, if you don't block that wind in the morning you will be freezing your nads off real quick.

Bring a tool to remove your visor in case it bothers you. It'll take 2 minutes.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear   NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Mid 40s I like a well insulated coverall and something to cover my neck. Gloves are very important as well. Leather with thinsulate liner is my favorite right now.

Let me go ahead and tell you now though, you are going to be miserable by mid day. Your ass is going to hurt, you're going to be tired, and you're going to be mentally exhausted since you're new to it and your brain is going to be working overtime both learning and compensating for lack of experience. If it were me, I would take a way to carry the bike back. Ride it until I didn't feel like it any more, then relax in a climate controlled seat. A small truck, small trailer, hitch carrier, etc... At the very least I would rig up some sort of padded contraption to keep my ass from dying. The seat on these bikes is only comfortable for about 20 minutes at a time. Around 30 minutes you're getting annoyed at it. About an hour you're shifting all over to ease the aches.
Back to top Go down
ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris

PostSubject: Re: NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear   NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 8:23 pm

oic0 wrote:
Mid 40s I like a well insulated coverall and something to cover my neck. Gloves are very important as well. Leather with thinsulate liner is my favorite right now.

Let me go ahead and tell you now though, you are going to be miserable by mid day. Your ass is going to hurt, you're going to be tired, and you're going to be mentally exhausted since you're new to it and your brain is going to be working overtime both learning and compensating for lack of experience. If it were me, I would take a way to carry the bike back. Ride it until I didn't feel like it any more, then relax in a climate controlled seat. A small truck, small trailer, hitch carrier, etc... At the very least I would rig up some sort of padded contraption to keep my ass from dying. The seat on these bikes is only comfortable for about 20 minutes at a time. Around 30 minutes you're getting annoyed at it. About an hour you're shifting all over to ease the aches.

Don't let that discourage you. Phoenix to San Pedro is a very easy doable day ride. Right now is the perfect weather for it. So your ass is a little sore. It's a perfect break in ride for your skills. And with a chase vehicle, what do you have to lose. You will get a lot of opinions on this. But I say "GO FOR IT" cheers

I know all about sore asses. I ride a KTM. Stock seat….
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear   NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear Empty

Back to top Go down

NOOB - Looking for first ride recommendations about gear
Page 1 of 1