Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain adjustment margin of error

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
airborneflyguy

Chain adjustment margin of error Empty
PostSubject: Chain adjustment margin of error   Chain adjustment margin of error EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 11:18 pm

If you had your chain perfectly adjusted, how much margin of error would there be in either direction with the axle adjustment?

In other words, if you could move the rear axle x amount in either direction without chain slap or chatter, what is x?

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment margin of error   Chain adjustment margin of error EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 6:18 am

Margin of error? I don't follow. What are you trying to figure out?

The axle position can vary for many reasons. Chains stretch. People change gearing.

Watch the video in first post of this thread. <-- click me

On a bike with 10 inches of suspension travel you will have chain slap at some point.

What's worse (IMHO) is a chain that's too tight.

There's a bunch of threads here on chain adjustment.

Where the axle lies is based on getting chain adjustment right, but there's other considerations.

When cutting my brand new chain to length, to go on brand new sprockets, I wanted axle in center of adjustment slot.
Is that what you're asking? Where in the slot you want your axle when everything is brand new?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment margin of error   Chain adjustment margin of error EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:10 am

Sounds like he's asking how closely the axle should lign-up with the adjustment marks on each side, and how far off from each other they can be before bad things happen.

Myself, I put reasonable effort into getting them set at the same position, but I stop at getting the micrometer out.
I believe it's important to take another look at the positions after you tighten the axle nut to make sure nothing has moved too much, and to snug-up the adjuster bolts and lock nuts after the axle nut is tight.

Keep in mind that the torque of tightening the axle nut will slightly twist the adjuster blocks (the things the axle goes through and have adjustment marks on them) as they sit in the swingarm since there is a bit of slop and they can rotate slightly.
Back to top Go down
airborneflyguy

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment margin of error   Chain adjustment margin of error EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 pm

The plan:
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t6770-wrx-r-quick-conversion-plans

In a nut shell, I want to change out X and R wheels without major adjustments to the chain. The plan I came up with will result in the sprockets moving .14" from each other between the two applications (SM or DS). If one set-up is .07" too loose (measured from the axle adjustments), and the other set-up is .07" too tight, would I need to adjust the chain much if at all?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment margin of error   Chain adjustment margin of error EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:57 pm

If I were bothering to remove a wheel and put another one in place, I'd simply adjust the chain slack if needed.
I certainly wouldn't run the chain slack too tight.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment margin of error   Chain adjustment margin of error EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 12:12 am

To tight is not good. Puts pressure on the front shaft, chain etc.

If you make it so the axle blocks could be flipped it would work. Either shim them or file them so the difference is right dependent on what set of wheels you are running. This is my plan when I get a set of SM rims. Chances are I will stillĀ need to fine tune though.

Otherwise you should just take the time to adjust it, only 5min.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain adjustment margin of error   Chain adjustment margin of error Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain adjustment margin of error
Page 1 of 1