Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
toddwmac

noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight  Empty
PostSubject: noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight    noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:57 am

For those of you not yet familiar with removing the front wheel of your WRx, here is a little tidbit that may save you a minute of an hour. When pushing the axle out of your forks, be sure the forks stay lined up straight. Because the fork legs can twist, they can bind on the axle and make removal a PITA. I share this because despite my keen sense of the obvious, I still #$%^&*ed with the axel for way too long. I was however, able to test several new beers that magically appeared in my fridge.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight    noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:36 am

Hm. I have not had an issue with this to date. The forks don't twist until the axel is out.
When I go to reinstall I usually get the axel through the first fork, the wheel, and then I realize the other fork is twisted. Realign, press the rest of the way through, voila!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight    noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 5:38 am

I always forget to compress the brake pads (open the spacing between pads) which always makes "threading" the brake disc back in between the pads a bitch and a half.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight    noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 10:29 am

Hmmm I wonder if this is why it takes me forever to remove the font wheel. I just thought that even with the pincher bolts removed it was still crimped down slightly on the axle.
Back to top Go down
toddwmac

PostSubject: Re: noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight    noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 pm

RattTongue wrote:
Hmmm I wonder if this is why it takes me forever to remove the font wheel. I just thought that even with the pincher bolts removed it was still crimped down slightly on the axle.

It was just a tiny bit of twist in the right fork leg. Not something you could probably see, but something you could certainly feel. The only reason I thought about it was this video I saw on fork and axle adjustment.

Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight    noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Interesting stuff. I'll keep that video in mind the next time I have the axel out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight    noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight  Empty

Back to top Go down

noob lesson - when removing fr wheel, keep forks staight
Page 1 of 1