Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?

Go down 
+7
josh
WRXR
Daamud
IAmABug
KLRchickie
Coop
NuckaMan
11 posters
AuthorMessage
NuckaMan

R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? Empty
PostSubject: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm getting ready to make a purchase on one of these, which ever version I take off the showroom floor, I plan on getting the "other" set of wheels so I have the option of both styles of bike.

I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of dealers around me that have plenty of leftovers of both models.

I'm kinda partial to get the X (I think I can swing a better deal since they were slow sellers for most shops) and just getting a set of dirt-wheels/rotors right away.

And as for the swap....as long as I have a same sized rotors for both sets of wheels, it's a straight swap, correct? No other adjustments needed other than the chain?

Thanks

Last edited by NuckaMan on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 3:32 pm

R wheels seem to be cheaper. I wanted an X but just couldn't find one. I bought an R a month or so ago but kind of wish I held out until I found an X since I do mostly all street riding with only occasional light off-road. I had a few folks tell me to buy the R because it's easy to find someone with an X to trade wheels with but that hasn't been the case for me.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 4:21 pm

NuckaMan wrote:

And as for the swap....as long as I have a same sized rotors for both sets of wheels, it's a straight swap, correct? No other adjustments needed other than the chain?

Thanks

Yes, with the same sized rotors your only concern swapping is chain slack, which is simple to check/adjust.

I have no opinion on "which way" is better. We each have an X with a set of dirt wheels, just because that's what we have Very happy We like them thumb
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 11:23 pm

Research I have done says it's cheaper to go X -> R. Dirt wheels are few hundred cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 12:28 am

I say X.

Bigger front brake.

I wouldn't worry about bending the rotor.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 12:48 am

X. In addition to the rotor, you don't have to buy different fork boots. Plus, black frame > silver. wink
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 am

WRXR wrote:
X. In addition to the rotor, you don't have to buy different fork boots. Plus, black frame > silver. wink

+1
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 am

Yeah, black frame looks way better IMHO thumb
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 4:59 pm

IMO the wheels and hubs yammy included with the X are pretty nice. Cost a lot to get a comparable set aftermarket. Also, if you just trail ride or take it easy off road, you may not even bother with the off-road wheels. I do single track with mine. The only place I find I'm really limited is in higher speed stuff. Just dont have enough traction to throw it around at speed. Perfectly fine muling along though.
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Few like the OEM WRR tires, while the WRX tires are pretty good. Buying good tires for the R is cheaper than for the X. So with the bigger rotor, black frame, and more leftovers in showroom, I'd get the X.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:19 pm

X...100% X...I bought the R by mistake ;-) but love it, it was meant to be!
Back to top Go down
team510

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:01 am

go x and get some warp9 wheels! ebay 716$ total for black ones
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?   R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first? Empty

Back to top Go down

R vs X, if you plan on doing both....which one first?
Page 1 of 1