Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Thought on New Plan For R2

Go down 
+3
crazy_dave
mucker
gatorfan
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Thought on New Plan For R2 Empty
PostSubject: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Two new off-road opportunities that do not require a tag have opened up for me. The first is an old man MX track that suites my riding level. The second is a 90K acre private property (don't ask!) that is forest trail riding (mostly two track but includes mud, sand, water crossings and bush wacking).

Here's the plan:

Buy a 250 dirt bike (thinking YZ250F) and throw pure street tires on the R2. I can always throw the knobbies back on the R2 if an off-road opportunity that requires a tag pops up (or do R to X conversion) but for now I'm bored to tears with the state forests down here in Florida.

Clearly street tires for street and MX bike for MX track are gains with no downside but what about MX bike on forest trail? Definite gains but are there downsides? Water intake? Durability? Something else? (Leaving $$ out of equation)

Mostly unsure about MX bike for trail riding but ANY thoughts on this plan are greatly appreciated.

Go Gators!

Last edited by gatorfan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 3:49 pm

2stroke mx bikes work well on trails. The biggest issue is taming down the power hit when it comes on the pipe. It could be as easy as adjusting the power valve and richening the carb, or could involve flywheel weights. Downsides would be fuel capacity/range (think 25 mpg), noise, vibration and smell. And you will never see your buddies who are riding dualsports...
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 4:02 pm

dhally wrote:
2stroke mx bikes work well on trails.

Definitely going 4 stroke.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 5:11 pm

I would have to have a headlight for trail riding...proly leanin towards a wr250f or so.

And I would have a hard time putting the fun per maintenance factor more in the maintenance direction.

No 1 bike is better than 2 bikes...ever.
But having extra bucks to throw at my R2 would just encourage me to push it even further...so, for me that's a big hump to get over.

Good luck with your choice...you're already lucky to be considering your options.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 7:17 am

KTM 2t’s have an adjustable power valves. You can make them hit like an MX bike or you can make them as smooth as silk.
2t’s are a hellofa lot lighter and cheaper to rebuild than 4t’s.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 7:30 am

Mucker, the WR250F just seems to close to the R2. I am already thinking the YZ250 is close enough to the R2 to make this a frivolous move.

I was thinking well used YZ as breakdowns won't be a major problem on the private trail.

Added maintenance with second bike is good point considering how similar the R2 and YZ are. (Are they? - I guess that's sort of my Q)

Dave, don't think I'll be looking at KTM 2 strokers but thank you for your comment. I will keep an open mind.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 7:37 am

No, a YZ-250F isn't similar to a WR-250R.
After going for a ride on the YZ-250F, most people would be saying something about the additional power and acceleration it has while feeling as light as a feather.

If you're looking for even more, try a YZ-450F, or even a WR-450F.
Hang on, and be sure to eat your Wheaties in the morning. Very happy

Myself, when I rode my WR-250R off-road a lot, I gave it the same maintenance schedule I do to my WR-250F, especially with the air filter servicing and engine oil changes (often).
That's how it goes in the dirt.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Our lil 4 stroke 250 is low maintenance, most dirt models are NOT. Most of them require more maintenance than a 2-stroke and its more expensive to do! They can also have heat problems when going slow and in general are heavier. Also, bit of personal preference, but I very much prefer a carb off-road. Carbs are much more smooth at low throttle openings when they are tuned half decently. My KX500, despite having WAY more power than my WR is infinitely smoother at low rpms and low throttle openings. Especially on off transitions. The smooth carb combined with not much engine braking means when you let off the gas there is no jerk or harsh transition.

Any two stroke can work if you modify it but there were / are some made specifically for the task. The KDX series is very popular for general off road riding and were made for it from the ground up, but you would have to buy used as they aren't made anymore. The KTM 300s are heavily suggested because they are more modern, more powerful, torquey, and have electric start! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTCB4D2Q3jc
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 pm

How would the YZ125 2 stroker compare with the YZ250F on an MX track in terms of power? I actually DON'T want too much - I'm afraid I'll kill myself.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm

A YZ-125 will feel very light and manouverable, and if you keep the engine revs up into the powerband, it's competitive.
If you don't want to rev an engine the whole time you're on the bike, don't bother, as there's no real low-end torque like you get with your WR-250R, or a YZ-250F.
In my opinion, as long as you're not hopelessly uncoordinated, you'll be able to ride a YZ-250F and have fun on it - you don't have to jump and slam berms like an expert to enjoy it.

My opinion about maintenance and dirt bikes:

If you're just riding for fun at a gentle pace, practically any dirt bike will last you years before an overhaul of the engine is needed.
This stuff you read about frequent rebuilds and having to check the valve clearances after 5 hours of running time holds true in the hands of an aggressive rider racing the bike (or riding like it's being raced).
Go watch a pro motocross race sometime.
Frequent rebuilds also happen if you do something bad like decide you shouldn't have to service your air filter often, or change the engine oil often, or like sinking the bike in a lake, or basically believe you should only have to worry about riding it and nothing else.
Wrong hobby.

Doesn't require a ton of rediculous work like you often hear horror stories about, but a dirt bike in the dirty dirt will require basic tasks done more frequently.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:33 pm

YZEtc wrote:
A YZ-125 will feel very light and manouverable, and if you keep the engine revs up into the powerband, it's competitive.
If you don't want to rev an engine the whole time you're on the bike, don't bother, as there's no real low-end torque like you get with your WR-250R, or a YZ-250F.

Thanks YZ. It's come down to the YZ250F or the Honda CRF150R (tall version). Both will feel light and handle well compared to the R2 so it comes down to power.

I'm looking at both on Sunday. I suspect at 185 lbs the CRF will have plenty of snap and the relatively low raw grunt will suit my age and experience (52 y.o., no track exper. 170 lbs).

I'm only thinking MX at this point, not trails.

What do you think?

Sincere thanks for time and comments.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Personally, I'd go with a YZ-250F over a CRF-150RB, although I wouldn't dismiss it if it fits you and you take a liking to it.
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 am

As a fellow Florida rider (same weight) and owner of both the WRR and YZ250, I figured I'd chime in a bit..

If you're still looking at a CRF150 as a option after you ride it, I would hop on a cr85 2 stroke big wheel next and see which one puts a bigger grin on your face.
In my biased opinion, I think having the WRR and the YZ250 is the best of both worlds. On a track and stricktly offroad setting, the YZ completely dominates.
Go for the bigger MX bike. It will blow through all the sugar sand down here when your not on the track, and it doesn't take long to get used to the power. Better to grow used to something than grow bored!
If money is no issue, you might as well max out your WRR if you haven't done so already with suspension and power mods and see if that doesn't transform your track experience wink
The YZ250F will at least take you out of the mini class (CRF150) when at the track and offer you more power than your WRR when you need it.

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:35 pm

woodygumdrops wrote:

If money is no issue, you might as well max out your WRR if you haven't done so already with suspension and power mods and see if that doesn't transform your track experience.

Thanks Woody. Actually, more power is not what I'm looking for, it's less weight. The YZ comes in at about #225 and the CRF about #185.
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 4:04 pm

All the more reason to go with a 2 smoke! thumb
Hah I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting another 4 stroke and I'm sure you'll have fun either way
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 5:03 pm

woodygumdrops wrote:
Hah I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting another 4 stroke and I'm sure you'll have fun either way

Well, my reason is I'm 52 years old and a total Noob to MX tracks. Been on street and trails for 5 years (on the R2). It's my understanding 4 strokes are "easier" to ride on the track. I take this to mean inexperienced riders are less likely to to turn the throttle a bit too hard and loose control or jump twice as high as they intended. Heck, I already do that on my R2!

Am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 10:25 am

Well the advantage of being a noob is that you're gonna have to get used to the power curve either way. Trust me, if you pull the throttle too far on a 250F it still only works out in your favor 1/2 the time!
You'll be suprised at how well either MX bike handles on the track and trails compared to your R2 and will probably boost your confidence when it comes to the jumps and handling.
If you're completely uncomfortable with having more power than your R2 has, then go with the 150. If you get bored and more confident you can always sell it and try out a bigger bike. Just my 2 cents..
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:45 pm

gatorfan wrote:
woodygumdrops wrote:

Well, my reason is I'm 52 years old and a total Noob to MX tracks. Been on street and trails for 5 years (on the R2). It's my understanding 4 strokes are "easier" to ride on the track. I take this to mean inexperienced riders are less likely to to turn the throttle a bit too hard and loose control or jump twice as high as they intended. Heck, I already do that on my R2!

Am I wrong?

The reason four strokes are easier to ride on the track is they rev so high and make their power over such a broad range. Basically they make just a little torque and rev to the moon. You don't have to worry about shifting as much and its easier to keep the tire from spinning. Also, since they have a big gradual power curve or even a plateau, for a lot of the rev range the power is controlled almost completely by the throttle input alone, where on a two stroke it also matter a lot more where you are in the rpm range. You are right, on the track running hard, using all of the rev range, the 4t will be easier. A 125 will be harder to keep in the power, and an MX model 2t 250 will be a rip snorting monster compared to a 250f. I was thinking mostly of the woods when I suggested a non MX designed two stroke, that is where they excel. If the 90k acres has good trails, a torquey, light, electric start 2-stroke like the KTM would be in heaven lol.

No need to judge until you actually ride something though. In theory you might not want a bunch of power, but after riding a few you might come home with an ATK700 lol. I personally find my KX500 to be a pussycat. Sure it makes a ton of horsepower, but in the woods I just keep it under 3000 rpms and its a tractor. My only complaints are the ergonomics and gas range lol.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm off the Honda CRF150RB for sure. Way too small and probably underpowered.

Still scared of the YZ250F (old and new is a dangerous combo on an MX track.)

I'm reconsidering 2-stroke d/t maintenance costs (In part d/t comments here - thank you!)

I'm looking at the KDX 200 2-stroke? There's an '06 with 125 miles right up the road! (Fate?)

Two Q's:

1) Was told I can smooth out the 2-stroke punch (if I need to) with a heavy flywheel. True? - How Much?

2) How would this compare with the R2 on the track IN TERMS OF POWER? The KDX weighs 225#. (I've got all the common power mods on my R2)

Thanks in advance, this thread has been a tremendous help to me.

Last edited by gatorfan on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 3:34 pm

125k miles has to be a typo. That's an ungodly amount for a two stroke dirt bike.
Anyhow, makes power in the same ballpark as our wr motors but the bike is lighter. Won't be as modern but will also be much cheaper to work on so no worries about abusing it. If you can find the 220 version its got more torque but either are top notch offtoad bikes.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 3:39 pm

oic0 wrote:
125k miles has to be a typo.

Yes sir. 125 miles!!! I'm damn close to pulling the trigger on this bad boy and doing an R to X conversion on the Yami.

Here it is:
Thought on New Plan For R2 3kc3fc10
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 3:47 pm

There isnt a big enough difference between the wrr and a kdx to make getting one worth while.
I rode one for a bit last summer, its just a bit lighter than the wrr, its no faster and the suspension is even softer, its likely slower than a wrr on a mx track.
A kdx is already set up to be smooth, most people want more snap out of them as they feel and are slow.

Get a 125 two stroke, they`re light, fast and most importantly fun as hell.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Biglake wrote:

Get a 125 two stroke, they`re light, fast and most importantly fun as hell.

I'm 6' --- need 35 - 36" seat height to be comfy. TW 200 tore my back up.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 4:50 pm

A 125 two stroke mx bike is taller than the kdx your looking at lol.
Dont let the cc's fool you a 125 mxer is a full sized bike, they're just as big as a 450 but lighter.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Yeah make no mistake, the 200 has older design much softer suspension than MX bikes. It won't be competitive on the track without suspension work. Also make sure you sit on it and preferably ride it. There are other more ideal bikes if the MX track carries a lot of weight in the decision.
That said, if that 200 is cheap cheap, could always pick up a track bike too ;) I've heard of good kdxs going for 1000-1500. Could pick up . 125 2t if you feel you need more on the track and still come out cheaper than a modern 4t ;)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thought on New Plan For R2
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next