Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

oil in airbox

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
radianguy

radianguy

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:02 pm

looking for a little help here, I searched but did not find anything. I was doing my oil change tonight and pulled my air filter to inspect it, filter was fine but there was a small pool of oil in the bottom of the air box. I used a blue shop towel and cleaned it up, but I'm wondering was this supposed to be there? The oil was blue, not motor oil, looked like the filter had some residue on it, normal? This has me concerned.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyWed May 02, 2012 5:23 am

The air filter is supposed to be oiled on a semi-regular basis.

Sounds like whoever oiled it might have been too liberal with the oil and some, over time, dripped off and pooled in lowest point.

How much was there? We talking a shot-glass amount? Or just a few drops?

How "wet" is your air filter?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
radianguy

radianguy

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyWed May 02, 2012 6:35 am

exactly, a shot glass was about the size of it. I figured it was from the filter and dripped off. I am the original owner, bike has 4000 km on it, mix of on road/off road. The filter was moist, not soaked when I checked it, and it was clean, just a bit of crud on the very bottom, I suspect form the oil collected in the bottom. Thanks for the reply.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyWed May 02, 2012 6:56 am

Since I can only speculate what it might be that's just a massive guess on my part.

I can't imagine where "blue oil" would come from other than the air filter.

If you're original owner, did you oil filter, or did it come that way from the shop where you bought it?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyWed May 02, 2012 7:31 am

Servicing your foam air filter, especially on a bike that goes off-road, is very important, at least as important as changing the engine oil regularly.
Your bike needs air to make power and run correctly, and needs to have only filtered air enter the engine so the engine parts will last as long as they can.
It doesn't cost much to do this correctly, and if you ride off-road often, you need to do this often.
I know a number of guys who are concerned with how much power they can get out of the engines of their dirt bikes, yet I don't believe they ever consider servicing their air filters often.

Sounds like the air filter was over-oiled (I'm assuming it is a foam air filter as comes stock).
Easy to do.
Some brands of filter oil will drip off via gravity, especially if you use too much.
Here's my method:

*Remove the air filter from the air filter guide or cage as it's called (the frame-looking thing inside the foam filter).
*Use a name brand foam filter oil (I choose to use only Maxima FFT foam filter oil).
*Clean the foam filter (by squeezing it) in clean solvent a few times and get all traces of old oil and dirt out if it.
*Clean the filter in soapy water a few times to get all traces of the solvent out.
*Rinse in plain water a few times to get all of the soapy water out.
*Squeeze as much water out of the foam as you can with a clean towel or paper towels.
*Allow to air dry completely (a fan blowing on it speeds this up a lot).
*Either pour on the foam filter oil or submerge the filter into a resealable plastic tub filled with foam filter oil, but either way, completely saturate the filter foam with filter oil.
*Next, SQUEEZE OUT AS MUCH OF THE FILTER OIL AS YOU CAN, and if you use the resealable tub method, squeeze the excess oil back into the tub (as long as your filter was completely clean and dry, the excess oil will still be usable for next time - be sure to put the lid back on the tub).
*Wrap the filter, inside and outside, with paper towels and again squeeze out as much oil as you can.
I do this three times.
*Put the filter guide back inside the filter.

When you're done, you'll have the entire filter coated with the correct oil in the correct amount, and not a drop will drip off.
In fact, if you have enough oil on the foam to allow it to collect at the bottom, you are not only over-oiling the filter, but reducing air flow into the engine.

The above may look like a lot of words, but it would require more words for me to describe how to tie my shoes, I think. :)

Back to top Go down
Arkmage

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyWed May 02, 2012 10:25 am

The previous owner may have been running motul oil. It's blue in 15-50W. I know because I had a puddle of it in my airbox too. Didn't figure it out until I dumped in the fresh bottle of oil that came with the bike next oil change.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyWed May 02, 2012 11:56 am

radianguy wrote:
I am the original owner

deal

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyWed May 02, 2012 12:02 pm

*face palm* my bad
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyWed May 02, 2012 12:21 pm

freaky poser2 lol! amazon

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
radianguy

radianguy

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox EmptyWed May 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I think it was oiled too much from the factory, I am going to pick up some of the Maxima FFT filter oil that YZEtc suggested and clean and re-oil the filter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

oil in airbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil in airbox   oil in airbox Empty

Back to top Go down

oil in airbox
Page 1 of 1