Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Increasing fuel mileage?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Increasing fuel mileage?  Empty
PostSubject: Increasing fuel mileage?    Increasing fuel mileage?  EmptyWed May 16, 2012 1:53 pm

I remember when I first got this bike. How amazed I was at the fuel mileage. Somewhere along the way I've become more of a jackass on two wheels and my mileage has dropped from ~68mpg to around 52mpg.

I'm sure some of you have run in to the same issue. What have you don sofar to remedy the poor mileage? I mean I'm mostly driving around on streets where I can't make time. There is a light coming up or a person in front of me. I'm not gaining anything from my poor mileage.

Anyhow, sofar I have experimented with high throttle at low revs instead of light throttle at high revs. I gained 3mpg but its hard to tell if it was from that or because I didn't have any highway time on that tank. Also, higher throttle at low revs is really fricken loud. Sounds like a straight pipe harley instead of its normal BRRRRR.

I'm also going to lower the cruise number on my fuel tuner.
I would like some lighter tires as my commute is pure stop and go, but I can't afford a set right now.
Anyone got any other ideas for increased mileage? Yeah I know I could lose some weight, already workin on that ;) More tire pressure would probably help but the way I pitch this thing around like a toy and occasionally slide the rear end, I would probably die.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Increasing fuel mileage?    Increasing fuel mileage?  EmptyWed May 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Go back to stock :)

I lost about a 1/3 on mileage after I uncorked MiniBeast. Was getting around 140-150km before the fuel light and now I am getting 100-110km before the fuel light. The part I find interesting is it doesn't seem to matter if it's bush or road riding. In the bush I ride it like I stole it and on the road I guess I must be riding that way as well. More power results in more gas consumption. I have a 12/47 for gearing. For awhile I put the 13 back on the front but found this actually made the mileage worse. My theory being I had to run 3/4 to full throttle on the highway to maintain speed where as with the 12 it seems to sit in the power band nicer and I don't have to be as hard on the throttle to go along.

I just acquired a SM setup so I am looking forward to see if this helps with my mileage as I have been running full knobbies till now.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Increasing fuel mileage?    Increasing fuel mileage?  EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:26 pm

When I bought mine from the dealer it already had the flapper screwed down, fuel programmer in, and an FMF pipe. I still managed to get 68-72mpg. All ive done since then is put a quiet core in my pipe and open the air box even more and put these slightly heavier tires on. I think its mostly my right wrist doing it though.

Are you doing the gearing calculations to correct for the sprocket? if not, it would make the 12 look better than the 13. (need to multiply mileage times 0.92 for true mileage if you're on the X before you divide by gas)
On that note I just had a complete retard moment and realized I am going the wrong way with my gearing compensation math lol. Ive been subtracting 4.25% miles for my taller tires and I need to be adding 4.25% to the miles before I divide by gas input. So my mileage isn't as bad as I thought, but its still not what it used to be.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Increasing fuel mileage?    Increasing fuel mileage?  EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:03 pm

All my distance calculations come off the front tire as I have a Vapor on the bike. Nice thing because I don't have to change anything when I change up my gearing. Only when I switch the Dirt setup to SM setup will I do any changes and that being the front tire circumference. Works well. Easy math.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Increasing fuel mileage?    Increasing fuel mileage?  EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:53 pm

I think the single biggest factor is the right hand.
The slower you accelerate...the better you finesse momentum...keep it reving as low as practical...you'll get the best mileage out of any vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Increasing fuel mileage?    Increasing fuel mileage?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Increasing fuel mileage?
Page 1 of 1