Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front tire issues with R to X conversion.

Go down 
+3
Arkmage
Berwyn Henderson
adumbpolock
7 posters
AuthorMessage
adumbpolock

Front tire issues with R to X conversion. Empty
PostSubject: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:38 pm

So i received my SM Pro's from wheelingcycle and there are two problems I've run into. The first is the front brake line touches the tire at rest. Do the R and X have slighly different fork guards because as you can see I kinda had to rig it with a wire. I used the spacers that were included with the new set. I know this setup should work somehow because forest was gentlemanly enough to give me the ones of his show bike because his supplier was moving rather slow.
Photobucket
If I use the OEM clamp there it runs right into the tire.

The second problem is the other fork guard is resting on the rubber.
Photobucket
It looks like if the shocks were to compress it would hit the tire also.

here is a pic from the backside.
Photobucket

Before I forget the front tire is a Conti attack 120/70 17. I have not ridden it yet because I have a 520 o-ring chain that should be in late tomorrow. A little side question, what length chain would you recommend for a 12/43? (I bought long with intent to use a chain breaker) My dirt gearing is 12/48.

Sorry for the less then stellar picture quality but I had to use my phone.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:21 am

Do you have the wheel spacers reversed ? Berwyn
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. EmptyWed May 30, 2012 9:39 am

The brake line is awfully close on a stock X as well.

Pretty sure the X uses different guards.
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. EmptyWed May 30, 2012 11:05 am

I've tried to fit front X wheels to the WRR and theses are the pictures I took.

As you can see the forks guard are realy different but we weren't having the same probleme as you with the rubber on the guard.
Left pictures are WRX with WRR wheels and Right pictures are WRR with WRX wheels

Front tire issues with R to X conversion. Img_2020 Front tire issues with R to X conversion. Img_2021

The brake line doesn't pass at the same place
Front tire issues with R to X conversion. Img_2022 Front tire issues with R to X conversion. Img_2023

With the X front left fork guard you will be able to relocate le brake line, I think if you just cut the right one the X wheel will pass
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. EmptyWed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

I just put a set of OEM WRX wheels on my WRR. I have no issue with the brake line. It is close, but there is clearance. Will take a pic tonight and post.

I also have the WRX fork guards on it.
Back to top Go down
adumbpolock

PostSubject: Re: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Well, I rode it for the first time and man are the streets a blast now. Before they were just a necessity to get to the trails. I am just riding without the protectors until the X specific ones i ordered from wheelingcycle come in (Forest is the man). I'll post back when they get in with some pictures. No i'm contemplating a 3.1 tank. The 1.5 was fine for the trails i was hitting but now I feel I actually may be going long distances.
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 2:33 am

curious... how wide is the front tire? 120?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 pm

adumbpolock wrote:
Before I forget the front tire is a Conti attack 120/70 17.
lurk
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 12:18 pm

X fork guards are cut differently than R's to clear the shorter & wider tire. Brake line also mounts lower to clear the 17" wheel. X guards work fine if you put R wheels on an X. If you have R guards, X wheels & tires will rub.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front tire issues with R to X conversion.   Front tire issues with R to X conversion. Empty

Back to top Go down

Front tire issues with R to X conversion.
Page 1 of 1