Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Possible Wr owner Western mass US

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
gloud
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gloud

Possible Wr owner Western mass US  Empty
PostSubject: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi all, I went and looked at A new WR250R In my quest for a new commuter/light offroad bike. I am a long time rider Back from the dead so to speak. A layoff for 15 years due to injuries. (Back/knees/shoulders) I used to race MX Hare scrambles and An Enduro or two. Got back into riding two years ago I have a 40 mile round trip daily and ride as long as I can in the winter. Located in Western mass (northampton area. ) 49 years old and 5'10"

One of my main dislikes of the WR for this use (NO single track anymore) is the height Which can be fixed with a lowering link, and the seat (too narrow and firm) and price is up there. (not really too much of an issue)

Likes, Yamaha (great local dealer with Rays cycle) FI, water cooled, Light clutch, great power, Brakes , adjustable suspension.

I am also liking the new 2013 Honda CRF250l yet to be released. Has most of the things I am looking for and lower, Who knows how the seat is and is not due till August.

Are there any local to me owners of the Wr? (with in an hour or so? ) I would love to talk to you about your bike and your likes/dislikes. I am not looking for a bike to mod just hop on and ride. I suspect I may have to go with higher bars (due to my back issues) With any bike.

Anyway thanks for any insights I get from the forum and here is a chance to talk someone into a wr LOL..
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 pm

The rear shock has a ride height adjustment which basically changes the eye-to-eye length of the shock.
With it set at the shortest position, I had no unusual problems on my WR-250R, and I'm 5'5".
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Welcome, I'm in Canaan CT, not too far from you but no direct route. I'm 5'9" and I have a bad back as well, the best thing I have done to my WR was put a seat concepts seat on it, about $150, it brings the bike down 3/4 of an inch and is nice and comfy. I bought mine as soon as they hit the showroom floor in 08 and have around 13,000 miles on it. I have not yet put a pipe and programmer on it, it really does not need it. Great commuter bike to keep up to speed with all those crazy new england drivers out there, 65 mph is very comfortable in every way, and 75 is tolerable. The reliability factor is a huge bonus, just hop on and ride, no worries. I highly recommend one if money is not a factor, the KLX250s would be my second pick above the honda if you want to shop around and save some money but the seat sucks and it needs a pipe to open it up a bit.
Back to top Go down
gloud

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks for the reply Wristpin. Yea I would have to replace the seat for sure. I think with a new seat and lowering it with the shock adjustment it would be ok. I have a numb right foot and a middle ear issue (more an issue sitting in traffic while moving it does not affect me thankfully) So I am much more comfortable with both feet as flat as possible. The Kawasaki is out for me as I want the FI. I really don't want to have to mod the bike.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Welcome,,,,I live not far from Enfield CT......I've had my WRR since Aug.08 and have put on well over 18k miles..I'm very happy with this bike,,,,I put on a Corbin seat which made it more comfortable and lowered the seat height at least an inch....it was $400,,great seat but there seems to be cheaper options out there..I have arthitis (both hips replaced a month after I bought my wrr) and my bike works good for me,,..I also rotated my handle bars up a little to make it more comfortable,,,,,,,the place you bought your bike,,is it a yamaha dealer??I only know about Nothhampton motorsports,,,,,,,,,,,,,feel free to contact me if you have any questions,,,,,,,,jason
Back to top Go down
gloud

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Jason, I don't have the Bike yet . I have decided to get a WR just a used one instead of new. Rays Cycle is in greenfield ma On wells st (no website) they have been in business since the late 60's early 70's I think.

I am looking at several WRR's on craigslist and hope to get something in the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
gloud

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Well I now am the owner of a 2008 Wr250r 2700 miles. Leaking fork seals (have the replacements in hand and generally needs a good servicing to be up to my standards. rides nice Now I have to get working on it!
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Congrats on your new bike.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Welcome,now if you didnt know your street tag is useless off road in Mass,you need orv stickers to ride off road. They changed the rules on us a few years back.Dont need to get a fine first time out ya know. GAHHHH
Enjoy and see ya out on the trails/street.
Back to top Go down
gloud

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 5:09 am

Thanks for the heads up I am aware of the change. Once I go to the RMV I will head to the fish cops. Hopefully they will let me register this bike my 1974 honda they would not as THEY claimed the vin was too short. (before 81 you could have 13 characters but I am having problems convincing those idiots that. (even with docs.)
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 8:47 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Just checking as not everyone gets that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Wr owner Western mass US    Possible Wr owner Western mass US  Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible Wr owner Western mass US
Page 1 of 1