Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Headlight Bulb Smoking

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
foofighter

foofighter

Headlight Bulb Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Headlight Bulb Smoking   Headlight Bulb Smoking EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 10:31 am

I put about 300km on the bike doing technical trails this weekend. Right at the end of the day the headlight bulb went out, I looked into the housing and I saw smoke. Then I switched to high beam, it turned on then went out and added a bit more smoke... Is this just a common thing when the headlight bulb goes out? Was is shorting out or something? Either way, it really sucked riding 100km on the highway at night with just a headlamp to light the road...
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Bulb Smoking   Headlight Bulb Smoking EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Check your voltage with the bike running. Sounds like your regulator is shot and you're putting too much voltage into the headlight. Modern ECUs are built to handle that but headlights and batteries.... not so much.
Back to top Go down
foofighter

foofighter

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Bulb Smoking   Headlight Bulb Smoking EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Guess I forgot to mention that prior to the headlight bulb breaking, I sunk the bike in a puddle up to the handlebars... Water had filled up the headlight housing, and shorted out the headlight causing the smoke.

I cleaned out the housing, threw in a new H4 bulb and now it works like new!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Bulb Smoking   Headlight Bulb Smoking Empty

Back to top Go down

Headlight Bulb Smoking
Page 1 of 1