Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Project WR350X has begun!

Go down 
+33
SCQTT
SLOWRIDER
mix123
wristpin
IAmABug
woodygumdrops
crazy_dave
Frank250X
BUSTER
lgyee4
Jungle Man
skierd
Cutthroat Bill
Chrispy1200
Heoz
Just Bob
Monkeynuts
bigg
Pokey
pbnut
adamoto
Arkmage
BuilderBob
dtx
Carbomb
Swagger
Daamud
oic0
Delta_T
Coop
motokid
D J
TurbStLCards
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

Project WR350X has begun! Empty
PostSubject: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 pm

beavis bannana dutch wings wink freaky Peace YAM

Ok, I got a WR250R without a motor to start the project. Thanks to Just Bob for finding the perfect project starter. The ad said it was without the tank, motor, and cradle. I got a cradle on eBay today. The bad news is that he never told me or put in the ad that the radiators are missing. No big deal I will first try and see if I can cram the Banshee radiators in there. If not I will order up some stockers but I am a LONG way from needing to cross that bridge.

It is at the friends as I type and am finishing up details with the shipping company. Here are the first pics of it at his house.

They get a little bigger if you click them.

Project WR350X has begun! 7547431476_04dbfe8a26

Project WR350X has begun! 7547435682_2005a0e199

Project WR350X has begun! 7547444374_d62150c24c

Project WR350X has begun! 7547442218_93bb7ce02d

Project WR350X has begun! 7547439924_9d0c9b0008

Project WR350X has begun! 7547437748_ddbe3a62d6

Project WR350X has begun! 7547429238_df54b4c60e

Project WR350X has begun! 7547433662_d3ffd9aa28

Now I am on the lookout for a gently used Banshee quad, maybe an RZ350 but I doubt I could bring myself to cannibalize one of those even though the powervalve would be nice. The WR is a perfect candidate for the project. First, I get to keep it all in the Yamaha family. Second, the bolt together hybrid aluminum/steel chassis is a nice compromise because I should maintain good stiffness, yet frame cutting/welding/modifying of the lower half will be much easier and cheaper. Third, it will be a street legal Banshee powered Supermoto! Do I need another reason besides that?

I definitely have my work cut out for me. I'll be honest. I haven't planned this out much which is very unlike me. I just want a banshee powered supermoto. I'll do my best and if it doesn't work out I'll just slap one of the four stroke singles in there. My main concern is the exhaust. Holy crap! Routing, fabbing, cutting, tacking, welding, cutting it back apart, tacking welding, and so on is going to suck! I don't care though!

Welding put me through college and I miss it dearly so this should be a great project.

Marchesini wheels, dual 4" HID Baja lights, Speed Triple style flyscreen are in the mental plans. Blue, White, and day-glo yellow will be the color scheme. Very Rossi-esque if you will. Obviously this is all subject to change. Long story short. I was lusting over the Aprilia SXV550 supermoto due to the twin and crazy power to weight ratio. Then I thought I could do that myself with a Banshee and a WR and have something far more rare. So that is the goal, a power to weight ratio that is better than or equal to the Aprilia 500.

Let me know if you have any feedback, either positive of negative. I also appreciate any tips or tricks you may have regarding the WR or a Banshee. If you know of a Banshee near East Tennessee then let me know. That is next on the list to track down. I will keep everyone up to speed on the progress. It will be slow.
Back to top Go down
D J

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 am

My room mate just finished dropping a blaster motor into a zohngsen enduro haha. The only problem he came across really was the kick start not clearing the frame. He must push start it everytime. But the bike is awesome and a ton of fun. Good luck can't wait to see it finished
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:32 am

Cost of rolling chassis?

Considering how f'n clean that chassis is, I have to wonder what happened to the motor?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:14 am

Bike was purchased by a college for a 100 mpg car competition. Clean title.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 am

TurbStLCards wrote:
The bad news is that he never told me or put in the ad that the radiators are missing. No big deal I will first try and see if I can cram the Banshee radiators in there. If not I will order up some stockers ...

Radiator, not radiators, ours bikes only have one Very happy .

Looking forward to watching your progress, sounds like a very fun project.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:57 am

TurbStLCards wrote:

Bike was purchased by a college for a 100 mpg car competition. Clean title.

Wow....clean everything.............what a great foundation to work off of. SCORE!!!!! thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:30 am

lurk
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 am

Just throwing another option out there. An RD350 engine is cheaper, air cooled, has no electronics, can make similar power (but can't go as radical), and uses a lot of the same parts. There is also the RD400 which is the same motor but more CCs stock (but also less common).
Downsides? you would have to fool around with points or buy an electronic conversion. You would also have to initially modify the engine to get it up to banshee levels. It will never have as much potential as a banshee because the port layout isn't as good and its air cooled.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:04 pm

thumb

Thanks for the input. I have considered the RD engine. I do want to run big lights and a few other miscellaneous electronics so I'll be working with the wiring anyway.

I'm pretty good on the fabrication side an my brother is a great mechanic. He does great work on car electronics AND he has the patience to follow the lines on a schematic. I can't stand it so I know I will be getting his help on this for the electronic bits.

The Banshee motor will be a bit more expensive but as you pointed out it is stronger out of the gate and the aftermarket is so much deeper. Although I am not rich, I'm also not looking to be thrifty on this build. Motorcycles are the wrong place to be if you want to be frugal! At least for me. My R1 uses tires, gas, and oil like it is going out of style!
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Before you pull the trigger on a motor. Make sure the output sprocket would end up in a "happy" spot.

Might want to find a Banshee somewhere to measure up first. dunno

lurk
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Daamud wrote:

Before you pull the trigger on a motor. Make sure the output sprocket would end up in a "happy" spot.

Might want to find a Banshee somewhere to measure up first. dunno

Roger that.

Rough measurements on the dealer floor indicate it should (fingers crossed) fit. If not, well that is where axes, hammers, and welders come into play! horse
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 6:25 am

I used to work at a shop as a mechanic and the owner was an old timer, his favorite saying was "Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer!" thumb .
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 6:53 am

I don't know anything about any of these, but here's a few Banshee's for sale around Pittsburgh:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3131494535.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3103466387.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3113672726.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3125313397.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3106230727.html
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks Coop.

Maybe I need to schedule a trip up there when my Cardinals are in town and see if we can take a few games back from the pirates.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 10:03 am

The Pirates fall apart every year so I doubt that will be a problem Very happy .
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 10:57 am

Its been a few years since I've ridden a Banshee but one thing I will never forget is that classic Banshee sound! If you pull this off I cant wait for the video so we can hear how that beast will sound with the modified exhaust. lurk
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 11:10 am

For your viewing pleasure Click me
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Swagger wrote:
For your viewing pleasure Click me

My exhaust and carb setup wont be so extreme but holy crap that's nice!

Thanks for the link. His chain roller near the swingarm pivot is interesting. Maintianing proper rear suspension geometry and handling is paramount to me. Im concerned about the time required to fab an exhaust but I am most concerned with preserving hadling and geometry.

I am leaning toward a one carb setup over two. Should make the mid range a little stronger and it will give the chassis more room and and twist throttle set up easier to get in place.

Thanks again for the link. That's the first banshee motor I have seen in any bike outside of an RZ350.
Back to top Go down
Carbomb

Carbomb

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Really looking forward to seeing this project start moving forward. Chances are that the lack of a rad on that frame may not be a big deal. You'll probably want something a bit bigger for that motor anyway. Can't wait to see the fabrication start! thumb
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 6:55 pm

whats wrong with a wr450 ? you can get them rather cheep and they last forever
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:24 pm

dtx wrote:

It's not a two stroke or a cool project. I don't think he is building this just because he wants more power than the WR250 puts out. He wants something unique.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Cool. Can't wait to see what you come up with! thumb
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Coop wrote:
dtx wrote:

It's not a two stroke or a cool project. I don't think he is building this just because he wants more power than the WR250 puts out. He wants something unique.

And we have a winner! wings

Every sumo I see on the road is a four stroke. No one will have a bike that looks, sounds, handles, or GOES like this bike will. For all purposes outside of enviornmental consideration a two stroke is hard to beat. They do offend my enviornmentalist sensibilities but oh well.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 am

TurbStLCards wrote:
They do offend my enviornmentalist sensibilities but oh well.

I wanted to put "BE GRN" on my 2-smoke license plate (it's a Kawasaki and I thought it would be funny given the environmentalist use of the word green)... apparently it's already been taken :( I bet it's on a prius.
Back to top Go down
Carbomb

Carbomb

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Arkmage wrote:
TurbStLCards wrote:
They do offend my enviornmentalist sensibilities but oh well.

I wanted to put "BE GRN" on my 2-smoke license plate (it's a Kawasaki and I thought it would be funny given the environmentalist use of the word green)... apparently it's already been taken :( I bet it's on a prius.

"BEEGRN" or "B GRN" or "BGREEN"? Still good I think. In Cali you'd have a 7th letter to mess around with, alas no 2-stroke though lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! Empty

Back to top Go down

Project WR350X has begun!
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next