Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Project WR350X has begun!

Go down 
+33
SCQTT
SLOWRIDER
mix123
wristpin
IAmABug
woodygumdrops
crazy_dave
Frank250X
BUSTER
lgyee4
Jungle Man
skierd
Cutthroat Bill
Chrispy1200
Heoz
Just Bob
Monkeynuts
bigg
Pokey
pbnut
adamoto
Arkmage
BuilderBob
dtx
Carbomb
Swagger
Daamud
oic0
Delta_T
Coop
motokid
D J
TurbStLCards
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Coop

Coop

Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:24 pm

dtx wrote:
whats wrong with a wr450 ? you can get them rather cheep and they last forever

It's not a two stroke or a cool project. I don't think he is building this just because he wants more power than the WR250 puts out. He wants something unique.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Cool. Can't wait to see what you come up with! thumb
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Coop wrote:
dtx wrote:
whats wrong with a wr450 ? you can get them rather cheep and they last forever

It's not a two stroke or a cool project. I don't think he is building this just because he wants more power than the WR250 puts out. He wants something unique.

And we have a winner! wings

Every sumo I see on the road is a four stroke. No one will have a bike that looks, sounds, handles, or GOES like this bike will. For all purposes outside of enviornmental consideration a two stroke is hard to beat. They do offend my enviornmentalist sensibilities but oh well.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 am

TurbStLCards wrote:
They do offend my enviornmentalist sensibilities but oh well.

I wanted to put "BE GRN" on my 2-smoke license plate (it's a Kawasaki and I thought it would be funny given the environmentalist use of the word green)... apparently it's already been taken :( I bet it's on a prius.
Back to top Go down
Carbomb

Carbomb

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Arkmage wrote:
TurbStLCards wrote:
They do offend my enviornmentalist sensibilities but oh well.

I wanted to put "BE GRN" on my 2-smoke license plate (it's a Kawasaki and I thought it would be funny given the environmentalist use of the word green)... apparently it's already been taken :( I bet it's on a prius.

"BEEGRN" or "B GRN" or "BGREEN"? Still good I think. In Cali you'd have a 7th letter to mess around with, alas no 2-stroke though lol
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 7570237768_c8be5ffe8f

The WR is now on its way!

I'm thinking of doing a bit more play by play on the Twitter. Follow @CvlDobd if you want more updates with fewer details. Don't worry though. I'll use the forums to provide more detailed info. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 7587069340_4252af9d9a
Lift by TurbStLCards, on Flickr

The lift is in!
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 11:56 am

Just ordered a 4mm rebuilt stroker motor. Should be here on the 26th.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 pm

TurbStLCards wrote:
Just ordered a 4mm rebuilt stroker motor. Should be here on the 26th.

Have you been taking your medication? woohoo
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Hope you find someone good to do the pipes. They will make or break the project. They need to be routed well to not burn you or hinder ground clearance, they need to be big and fat in the belly setion to make good power, and they need to be tuned just right to make the most of your motor. Takes some skill to make em.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Arkmage wrote:
Have you been taking your medication? woohoo

Well without going into too much detail or pissing anyone off I'll give you my take on things. I work in the markets and I just sold my house. I think the probability of a currency crisis is high in the not too distant future. Might as well spend it while it is worth something I suppose.

Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 pm

oic0 wrote:
Hope you find someone good to do the pipes. They will make or break the project. They need to be routed well to not burn you or hinder ground clearance, they need to be big and fat in the belly setion to make good power, and they need to be tuned just right to make the most of your motor. Takes some skill to make em.

That would be me. Paying someone would be so damn expensive! I don't mind spending lots of time on the fab side as I enjoy it. Spending money stings a bit more.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:54 pm

https://2img.net/h/i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu268/nkreig/parts13.jpg

Check out those pipes! Drool!

I'm not rushing but am keeping my eyes open for some RD350/400 pipes and potentially modify those.

As I said at the start. I plan on having as much time in the pipes as the rest of the bike.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Those pipes are sweet!
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Sorry if you already know all this. You probably do, but many do not.

If you're trying to build one from scratch you're going to need software to do the complex design calculations and an awesome welder to piece together all of the cones. On a two stroke the exhaust isn't just a pipe for gases to exit, its like a combination turbo charger / camshaft. If you're trying to adapt a pipe from a different bike make sure you don't change any dimensions or length before the chamber. If you shorten it you raise the power band in the rpms, longer you lower it. Sharp angles and curves introduce new waves that disrupt the main one to varying degrees. Its somewhere between rocket science and art.

On RD350 / RD400 pipes, aftermarket ones are hard to find and the stockers sucked horribly. I had a set built custom for my project RD350 bike. I think they were $400 with all bracket fabricated and silencers built in. That was 7 years ago though. They sounded good though Very happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89pGHcD2l5Y
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 1:22 pm

You got a screaming deal if you had RD pipes fabbed up for that much. Good job.

I'm not dismissing the task that building the pipes will be. I've done some really nice ornamental welding in my day and it started to get routine no matter how intricate. Welding pipes for a two stroke is my manifest destiny!

I've talked to a few people about software an read about some online. Thanks for you concern on the pipes. I'm glad someone else realizes how stupid of an undertaking this was! Lol. I'll be in touch with you about your RD experiences if you don't mind. That quad sounds good BTW.

I appreciate all feedback and concerns very much. Keep em coming!
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 1:28 pm

TurbStLCards wrote:

I think the probability of a currency crisis is high in the not too distant future.

+1, the fact the CPI isn't dropping off even though employment and demand are still falling is not a good sign.

Hell of a project, can't wait to see how it comes together...

What's your time estimate for getting the motor into the chassis?
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Arkmage wrote:
TurbStLCards wrote:

I think the probability of a currency crisis is high in the not too distant future.

+1, the fact the CPI isn't dropping off even though employment and demand are still falling is not a good sign.

Pre death is my best estimate at the moment. I have some good tools but not what I should have as I just worked with shop tools all those years. So this is kind of a workshop build and a motorcycle build at the same time. A new business is my final endgame in all of this so we shall see how it goes.

I've been arguing with colleagues about this for ages. I'm sure CPI is manipulated. Look at the hot water the banks are in over LIBOR? So LIBOR is manipulated but stock, bond, commodity, and precious metal maters are totally free? Yeah right! That's why I want out! It's all fake! I have skills that shoudl have some sort of value even in a third world economy. I'm one he'll of a bicycle mechanic and I can work fab metal with skill. So I'm just setting up to do something real with my life instead of pushing paper and fake investments. I'm not ranting at you by the way. Just rambling my bad. Back to motorcycles!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:00 pm

TurbStLCards wrote:
I've been arguing with colleagues about this for ages. I'm sure CPI is manipulated. Look at the hot water the banks are in over LIBOR? So LIBOR is manipulated but stock, bond, commodity, and precious metal maters are totally free? Yeah right! That's why I want out! It's all fake! I have skills that shoudl have some sort of value even in a third world economy. I'm one he'll of a bicycle mechanic and I can work fab metal with skill. So I'm just setting up to do something real with my life instead of pushing paper and fake investments. I'm not ranting at you by the way. Just rambling my bad. Back to motorcycles!!!!!

We're on the same page skipper, no worries on ranting. My friends and I are a rare breed that tends to discuss similar matters over a beer... congratulations on having the balls to try something new. A lot of people would just stay where they are and bitch until the day they die or are forced into retirement.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Next time I'm in TX I'll let you buy me a beer.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:20 pm

The company that did them was Jemco in houston (arkmage can buy you that beer lol). http://jemcoexhaust.com/downloads/Jemco_Product_Catalog.pdf
Pretty good pipes although I think you could probably gain a few extra hp going with a more specialized / advanced banshee pipe.

Building your own like you aspire to would of course be the best course of action since you can design exactly how you want it and youll put more love and time in to it than you could reasonably pay another person to do lol.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:01 pm

if only they weren't a large body of water away!

www.cokerraceproducts.com
Back to top Go down
Carbomb

Carbomb

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 am

Arkmage wrote:
TurbStLCards wrote:

+2 Doesn't matter who gets put in office this Fall. The currency situation and the debt are not going to be addressed by either of the Big 2 until they spiral out of control.

Anyway, I don't envy the amount of work and headache that will go into making that pipe, but looking forward to seeing the piece come together. Beer on me in California.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:08 am

I like this forum! Smart peeps here!

That south African company I posted a link too looks like the hot ticket. I could get the RD 350 kit and work from that.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Yay Jemco is the way to go,i have two of his down pipes.Raw H/P and all the noise you can stand. I also ride with two guys that have each plated a cr500. Over the top fun !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project WR350X has begun!   Project WR350X has begun! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Project WR350X has begun!
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next