Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Coop

Coop

Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here... Empty
PostSubject: Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here...   Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here... EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:16 pm

I did a search and didn't find one thread dedicated to this just a bunch of different posts here and there, it will be nice to keep everybody's together for ease or searching. If there is one I am sorry and please point me to it Very happy .

I will be buying some Warp9 17" SM wheels in about 2 months. I have always been a bit of a planner so I am already researching what gearing and chain length I want/need to run. I want the 17" wheels for commuting mostly with occasional twisties thrown in, so I will probably stay with stock gearing for good mpg. My current R wheels will be setup for off-road so I would like to go up a few sizes in the rear for that. I want to use the same countershaft sprocket to make wheel changes quicker/easier.

So what are you running?
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here...   Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here... EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 12:28 pm

I have an X and I recently bought a set of dirt wheels from Wheeling Cycle for a planned trail ride with some friends. I too wanted to be able to use the stock 13T front sprocket for quick wheel swaps. I settled on a 47T rear sprocket for dirt & the stock 42T on the street rims. Had to get a second chain for the 47T set up. both now have clip type master links with safety wire.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here...   Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here... EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Do you think with those reversible axle blocks you could have used the same chain? Ideally I would like to settle on a setup that uses the same chain, I read a few posts about guys using those blocks wheeling sells but I couldn't find the threads yesterday that they were in. Hopefully someone posts in this one that uses that setup.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here...   Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here... EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:34 pm

I don't think a reversible block would work because the problem lies with the clearance for the sprocket in relation to the guides. I went with a 114 link chain to maintain a centered position on the swingarm slot for adjusting. If the rear wheel was pushed up closer towards the bike, the sprocket would hit the chain guides because of the larger diameter.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here...   Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here... EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 pm

I run 12/44 SM and 12/47 Dirt. 110 chain. I made a set of reversible blocks. I just turn them around when doing the switch. No chain adjustment nessasary. It's nice.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/viewimage.forum?u=https://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb380/Iamabug007/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7734.jpg

If I know I am going to be doing a lot of highway and/or logging roads, I swap the front out for my stock 13t.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here...   Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here... EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Good stuff thanks. I'd like to stay with a 13 front but it's nice to know you use the same chain and the blocks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here...   Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here... Empty

Back to top Go down

Both 'X' and 'R' wheels? Share your gearing setups here...
Page 1 of 1