Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

16/50 Gearing?

Go down 
+4
saddletramp
GT-250
motokid
lotsahorses
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lotsahorses

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm looking at a WR250R with 16/50 gearing. The sprockets are YZ sprockets and the tires are T 63 michelins. I scanned the topics and did not see this as an option. Anyone have thoughts on this? The owner did it "to prevent swingarm rub". I appreciate your help.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 pm

I believe a 16T front won't fit.

There's no clearance between the case and the chain for any kind of guard to protect case.

Bad things can happen.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 pm

X2 on above, no way for a 16t front, in fact i doupt very much that a even 15 would fit with clearance....Maybe without any factory "case protector" or cover. The current 14t front on my WRR only just clears with the Sandman C/S. ( Will be going back to a 13t front very soon ).

Can you please double check your actual front sprocket size & report back with confirmation.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Yeah - I believe my old ass remembers something about 14T being the max size that will fit.

I'm wondering if OP is actually looking at a wr that's an F model and not an R model.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Yeah i'd be more likely to suspect it NOT being a WRR/X if it actually is a 16t front.....Even then if it is a WRF the 16t front would make more sense if riding to the moon, rather than to "prevent" swing arm rub ! LOL get the f out
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm

GT-250,

What are you currently running on the rear with your 14T front? Secondly, I am curious as to why you are going to change the 14T countersprocket to a 13T.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 7:48 pm

More torque with smaller front.

Makes bike get up and go with more umph.....

Unless you're riding LOTS of freeway I can't imagine anyone wanting a 14t front.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Of course that depends on what you put on back. Front is only half the equation. I am running 14/50 which is right in between 13/46 and 13/47. These all equate to basically dropping one tooth on countersprocket from stock configuration of 13/43.
Back to top Go down
Cutthroat Bill

Cutthroat Bill

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:15 am

saddletramp:

I've been thinking about doing the same at some point, or perhaps even go for a 51 on the rear. How many links is your chain?
Back to top Go down
lotsahorses

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Gearing   16/50 Gearing? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 am

Yes it's listed as a WR250R. 16 front and 50 rear. I haven't seen it yet but is owned by a seasoned rider and set up nice. I had never seen a forum discussion with this combination and wondered about it. Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know as I learn more. This is a long distance purchase and we're working on shipping.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 am

I'm currently running 14/45 - so my rear sprocket is only "small" in realitive terms.... This gives the same ratio as would be for a 13/42 combo, so it's geared just slightly "taller" than stock.... Reason why i have tried this combo is for 2 main points = from new my initial thoughts were that 1st gear seemed a bit too short, and as my bike is used as a daily work commuter i figured that a little taller "road" ratio was worth a go.

Add to this that the stock Trail wings are crap off road - so i decided until they wear out and i get a better set, i'd just stick to the black top. So again the slightly taller gearing has been suitable to my needs at this time.

I will be going back to a 13 front when i fit my new tyres in the very near future. As i will be then doing alot more off road work, i will again want the "short" 1st gear, + also to regain some of the "lost" alround pick up. ( Not surprisingly, the little 250cc struggles at times with headwinds etc at freeway speeds ).

Also the rear tyre size i'll be running is a 130/80, so it's a slightly taller tyre than stock. So with this "extra" tyre height in the overall calculations, and with the 13/45 sprockets, my final drive ratio when compared to standard would be approx the same as 13/44, so this will be a slightly lower ratio from stock.... Anyway judging from my current 14/45 trial run, i'm fairly confident that my future 13/45 and 130/80 tyre combo will be a pretty good "compromise" for my overall intended use. ( I suppose i'll soon know for sure when i fit this tyre & sprocket combo with-in the next couple of months ).

As for the suspected belief that your soon-to-be WRR has a 16T front, i'm still yet to be convinced that even a 15T is possible....
I really do hope that you seal the deal & get this bike so that we can have a definate confirmation of what the actual size is.

Also in theroy a 16/50 combo would be the approx eqquivalent ratio as per a 13/41 sprocket combo. So it's a pretty tall final drive for a single cylinder 250cc 4 stk engine to pull. ( Think opposite to your user name in regards to the power stakes of this little engine, lol ).

Keep us posted with purchase and ETA info please mate.

Cheers.

Back to top Go down
saddletramp

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Cutthroat Bill,

I ordered a DID 520V x 120 link O-ring chain and then just cut off the links I did not need. I can't remember the exact length of chain after doing that and my bike is not accessible at the moment to check. I think it ended up at 112 or 113 links. I also have the lowering links on the bike and that makes a difference as well in that it requires a longer chain. According to this link, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8568611&postcount=1483, you would need a 114 link for a 14/51 combo. I would suggest you just order in the 120 link and cut to suit.
Back to top Go down
lotsahorses

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Follow up on 16/50 gearing   16/50 Gearing? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Well, we have arrived at a price for the bike and the shipping and once I receive the bank information, I will be paying for it and then comes the very long two weeks for it to arrive. During our conversation today the owner (great guy) thinks he has a 15 on the front instead of the 16. And it does have the sandman case saver/sprocket cover on it.
I'm overwhelmed by all the help on this. I'll post some pics once I get it and follow up with all of you on exactly what the gearing is. I'm hoping to do some long trips on this bike so I will have to find the right highway/dirtbike gearing so I can do both.
I rode from NW Arkansas out to do the Utah Back Country Discovery Route last year and took a hell of a beating on my 2005 R1200GS. I was lucky to escape with my bike still running (jammed the ABS brakes and ripped my engine guard off) and myself still breathing (several hairline fractures of my tibia and some major bruising). The biggest bruise was to my confidence-I've dabbled with trials on and off for 30 years and thought I had learned something about riding in the dirt. Thankfully I was able to limp along on the GS and stopped at Grand Junction BMW to get my brakes fixed and the engine guard put back and happened to meet one of the owners. He told me that the group setting up the trail had stopped by his dealership looking for input on the ride and he told them that was no route for the big bikes-especially loaded down. I had watched the DVD on the ride and thought I could handle it. There had been a heavy rain about 10 days prior to my trip and the gullies were the killers. Getting the front wheel up and over a gully headed down hill would set me up to crash in the boulders on the downhill side. Not to mention the deep sand that washed into the trail. Way too much weight for me to control. When I got back home I stumbled onto Big Dog and the WR250R on the Adv Forum and I thought maybe this old dog can still hunt. I'm planning to go back and ride Colorado and Utah again this year. 400-500lbs lighter.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:45 pm

lotsahorses wrote:
I'm hoping to do some long trips on this bike so I will have to find the right highway/dirtbike gearing so I can do both.

I run 13/48 and find it's the perfect compromise for me (at 180 lbs). I can run with traffic on most secondary highways with a couple of small panniers and a tent bag, and still have some grunt down low for the slow off-road stuff. I thought the stock gearing sucked everywhere, and changed it out almost right away. With 13/48 it pulls nicely right to the end. Wouldn't want to run high-speed slab all day, or even a couple of hours, but I've got better tools for that anyway.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Be aware that any change in gearing changes the speed read out on the speedometer.

Yes - Yamaha truly dropped the ball on this but it is how it works.

So with something like a 15t (which I doubt will fit with a case saver) and 50 on the rear I have no clue how far off your speedometer will be.

UNLESS - the previous owner also installed some kind of speedo-corrector device.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Cutthroat Bill

Cutthroat Bill

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 12:01 pm

saddletramp wrote:
Cutthroat Bill,

I ordered a DID 520V x 120 link O-ring chain and then just cut off the links I did not need. I can't remember the exact length of chain after doing that and my bike is not accessible at the moment to check. I think it ended up at 112 or 113 links. I also have the lowering links on the bike and that makes a difference as well in that it requires a longer chain. According to this link, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8568611&postcount=1483, you would need a 114 link for a 14/51 combo. I would suggest you just order in the 120 link and cut to suit.
I was looking at a combo set that comes with one of several 120 link chains, some of them o-ring. Do you need a special tool to cut the chain, or do you just use a grinder?

I feel like I'm hijacking this thread now. Apologies!
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 12:51 pm

This bike in question was just posted for sale over on ADVrider. I does say it has the YZ250 16/50 set up.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 pm

crazy_dave wrote:
This bike in question was just posted for sale over on ADVrider. I does say it has the YZ250 16/50 set up.

Link? Please.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:48 pm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873459

2008 WR250R for sale 4208 miles Hagerstown MD

Second owner
Clear title
Bike is set up for a tall 225 lb. rider. If you’re short and light, the suspension and ergonomics aren’t gonna work for you.
I’m selling it because at 61 years not so young, the ageing process is starting to kick my butt. Arthritis in my knees, back, and wrists is making dirt riding too painful.
Opening up the restricted airbox, adding the GYTR exhaust, and the FMF controller for the EFI transform the stock engine. Smooth power, great drivability, and an extremely wide powerband, combined with the wide ratio 6 speed transmission allow you to ride at walking speed or maintain a steady 70+ mph on the highway. It’s a 250, so the power is not overwhelming, but it is very flexible and usable.

New parts

X-ring chain
16/50 YZ sprockets (larger than the stock 13/43 - won’t allow chain to rub swingarm)
New front brake disc
New brake pads
New rear wheel bearings
New swingarm pivot bearings
New shock linkage bearings
New Michelin T-63 D/S tires

Recent maintenance

Fresh oil and filter
All swingarm, headset, and shock linkage bearings greased with green waterproof wheel bearing grease
Fork and shock are fresh with less than 400 miles since setup by Go Race! Suspension

Extras / Upgrades / Farkles

3.7 gallon Aqualine Safari fuel tank
Sargent seat
Go Race! Fork and shock rebuild includes heavier springs at both ends, new valving, fresh fluids, new seals and wipers, SKF low friction seals
Yamaha GYTR exhaust
FMF programmable EFI controller
Cycra hand guards
Protaper Contour ATV high handlebars (same as Pastrana bend)
Flatland Racing skid plate
Flatland Racing luggage rack
Fastway footpegs
KTM folding mirrors
ROX handlebar risers 1.5 inch
Blue anodized open sprocket cover (won’t pack with mud and trash your chain and sprockets like the stock cover (damhik!)
Wired for battery tender and Zumo GPS
Genuine ADV sticker

Also available

Giant Loop Fandango tank bag
Touratech Zumo 450-550 mount

The bike will be cleaned and the dust from Green Ridge and my greasy fingerprints removed before selling. The groundhog was wrong this year, we’ve got cold temps and 6” of snow today (3/25) so cleaning is on hold for a bit.

I still have most of the original parts which are included if you want them.

The stock tools and holder went missing. I have a new tool tube and some wrenches but have not got it installed yet

$4650 cash - which is less than half what a new WR250R with these options would cost

Giant Loop tank bag and Touratech Zumo GPS mount are not included but I will sell them for $100 each with bike.

Price is firm – no low ball offers please
No Trades – please don’t ask
I won’t sell the tank bag or GPS mount separately until the bike sells
If inmates aren’t interested, I’ll try Cycle Trader in a few weeks

Contact me by PM or call three01-seven30-two494

url=http://farmerhank.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/For-Sale-March-2013/WR250R/28584145_C3m9bx#!i=2423661357&k=4LkHdnC&lb=1&s=A][/url]

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 2:00 pm

Yeah...no way I'm believing he got a 16t front on there AND a sandman case saver.

I'm betting it's a 14t.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
lotsahorses

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: It's mine.   16/50 Gearing? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Payment complete and the bike is mine now. Two week wait starts and I'll give you updates on the gearing when I receive it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 4:20 pm

lotsahorses wrote:
Payment complete and the bike is mine now. Two week wait starts and I'll give you updates on the gearing when I receive it.

You have the bike yet????????

I'm dying to see pictures of a 16t front.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 6:51 pm

^^ Well mate you might just die an unhappy man cause pic's of a 16t front just ain't gunna happen..... afro

As you've already eluded to, i believe that we will more than likely find that it's a 14~15 tooth. ( Even doupt 15 with S/M case saver ).

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Crazy M

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 7:35 pm

well ive tried 1st hand to put a 15 tooth on, and it wont work....well it will but theres about 1mm between the chain and the case. i ride with a 14 on the street and a 13 for drag racing.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Yeah - I'd be a little nervous about buying a bike from somebody, having it shipped, AND having gotten incorrect information from seller regarding something relatively simple like gearing.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

16/50 Gearing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 16/50 Gearing?   16/50 Gearing? Empty

Back to top Go down

16/50 Gearing?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next