Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
47une

47une

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem Empty
PostSubject: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 am

Hi all,

I am doing a custom fairing on my bike as some of you may have seen in my build log. So what I am wondering is all your thoughts on the best way to fix the lights/navigation tower mount to the steering/head stem? Most people just bolt it through the steering stem, having some countersunk headed bolts on the inside of the steering head coming to a mounting block and nuts on the outside. It scares me drilling through the steering head, but I don't really see any other way.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:24 am

I would love to do something like this to save drilling or welding, but we don't seem to have bolts up near the steering head and the frame is really curvey around the head aswell which would make it way too hard.

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem 07_n
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 am

The welding option:

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem Attachment
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:27 am

The bolting option:

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem Pilotsview132
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:54 am

Another way of a bolt on:

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem 6461668445_6174cfcbe8_z
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 am

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem DSC01485

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem DSC01486

Taken from here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400288

Lots more ideas here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684282
Back to top Go down
Gany

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Ive come up with a bolt on option similar to the JVO racing mount. Will post pics later...

Does involve drilling 5 holes in the frame, of which I did them a little crooked but filed them out to make it fit without issue. Its working so far.
Back to top Go down
Gany

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:14 am

I designed a block to mount to the front, and 2 solid backing plates to fit the inside of the headstem tube that are threaded so there's no nut to vibrate loose and fall on the inside of the stem. 4 holes were drilled in the stem either side of the weld line to accommodate the block. A fifth hole is drilled and tapped into the steering stop. A small block is mounted here to give lower support to the tower side plates.

I considered a bolt on option but it became difficult, 1 because of the shape of our frame, 2 because of the cables. My bars are higher than stock and as a result pretty tight. Theres not a lot of play there so if I mounted plates either side of the stem (Rally moto kit racing style) the cables would be too tight. Not something I wanted to stuff around with but maybe down the track I will look into a bolt on design again.

Pics:
Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem Image-M

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem Image1-M

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem Image3-M

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem Image1-M

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem Image4-M
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:35 am

That looks fantastic!!! I contacted a few rally companies around Australia and they all recommended welding a mounting block on due to it being alloy. So I may go that way I think. I unfortunately don't have the facilities to weld alloy, but a mate does, so may just make up a simple block and get him to weld it on I think.
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:44 am

What are you planning to mount on your tower in total? Also, what fairing and lights are you using?

At this stage, I just need to mount my lights to it and one of the front braces for the fairing. I think the rear two fairing braces will come of the front of the frame somewhere at this stage.
Back to top Go down
Gany

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:19 am

I plan on mounting the tower that has a trailtech vector, roadbook/garmin zumo, stock speedo. Tower will also hold the lights, electrical cables and fairing.

At this stage planning on using the JVO racing fairing with 2 visionX led lights. Hopefully the cops dont have an issue with this, not sure what i will do if they do.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:45 am

Great looking work Gany, impressive.
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Well I am hoping that mine kinda blends in pretty well and looks somewhat factory........ we will see...... so I don't think I should have any problems with the police at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem   Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Fairing Mounting on Head Stem
Page 1 of 1