Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Lots of chain slap???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
shepcam

Lots of chain slap??? Empty
PostSubject: Lots of chain slap???   Lots of chain slap??? EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 9:50 am

I just picked the bike up last Friday and have just a little over 100 miles. The chain is adjusted properly by the hash marks and has the proper slack. I rode just a little on some power line roads and had a lot of chain slap. Also, under acceleration in 6th gear I feel a small vibration and can see the chain vibrate a little towards the rear sprocket. Is this normal break in stuff?
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: Lots of chain slap???   Lots of chain slap??? EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:56 pm

My bike has done this on a few occasions. These seem to get rid of it: clean, lube and adjust the chain a little bit tighter while still being within spec. I want to say tightening alone took care of it but I always did all three.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Lots of chain slap???   Lots of chain slap??? EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 9:20 am

I'm assuming brand new bike?

Clean and lube the chain, from the dealership they usually just have some crap grease on them that get's crusty sitting in the showroom.

For cleaning the chain, I typically use a little diesel (less refined kerosene). Works like a champ.

A brand new chain will also tend to stretch a little in the first few hundred miles and loosens up quickly. The RK I have needed to be tightened twice in the first 100 miles. It hasn't needed adjustment in the 3K miles since.
Back to top Go down
shepcam

PostSubject: Re: Lots of chain slap???   Lots of chain slap??? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Yes its new. I will give it a good cleaning and see if that helps. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Lots of chain slap???   Lots of chain slap??? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Go here. Watch Video. <-- clicky

10 inches of suspension travel equal times when there's plenty of slack in chain.

Watch that video in that thread.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Lots of chain slap???   Lots of chain slap??? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 7:32 pm

I adjusted the chain 3-4 times in the first 1500kms. Now at 5500kms and I think I have done it once since.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lots of chain slap???   Lots of chain slap??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Lots of chain slap???
Page 1 of 1