Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250

Go down 
+7
grnd0
Vinduroman
bigg
oic0
crazy_dave
motokid
zone47
11 posters
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 7:14 am

Suspect

I saw one for sale at a swap meet and it looked pretty cool ..... price was only like $2300. lurk
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 am

zone47 wrote:
Suspect

I saw one for sale at a swap meet and it looked pretty cool ..... price was only like $2300. lurk

Are you talking about the air cooled conventional suspensioned turd listed here?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:48 am

I had a a 05 CRF230F plated in NY prior to my WR. I did a CR250 fork swap and a white bro rear with the simple power up mods. In the woods I could run away from bikes with twice the HP but out in the open it got its a$$kicked. It was a very fun play/trail bike, I still kinda miss it.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 11:18 am

Just imagine the WR only with crappier suspension, cheaper build, and 30% less horsepower.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 11:47 am

I hear the same thing about the WR when I’m on my KTM. (Why do you ride that little 250 when you have that orange rocket?)
Answer: Because I like bikes! Some just do certain things better than others but they are all fun to ride.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 1:27 pm

crazy_dave wrote:
I hear the same thing about the WR when I’m on my KTM. (Why do you ride that little 250 when you have that orange rocket?)
Answer: Because I like bikes! Some just do certain things better than others but they are all fun to ride.

Agreed!
when I'm back home at my parents I ride my old 5hp scoot and have a blast nonetheless.

I remember a while ago reading about this millionaire who had every possible bike and car imaginable. yet he sometimes took out his 50 year old 3hp bike (can't remember what it was) and had just as much fun on that as on his 30K dollar superbikes thumb

just enjoy the ride. as long as it has a thumping heart and two wheels its fun for me Very happy
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm

I agree, all different kinds of bikes are fun. I can have a blast on anything that with a motor. But still, if the two bikes in identical condition were for sale for the same price, we all know both know which one we would pick. Why would we pick it instead? because its a better bike amazon If I had the Honda I would have fun on it, but if I had to pick one to keep from between the two... I'ma lean towards the modern suspension, fuel injection, water cooling, extra power, and sexier looks. Of course everything has some area it excels at. I would lean towards the honda for my wife since its lighter and lower, so long as I could get it cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Bought a new leftover Honda CRF230L (the street legal dual sport bike) for my wife in April. This is her first "real" bike. (i.e. Full size wheels, big enough in cc to have some power, etc.) Over the decades she's ridden the "Big Wheel" type bikes. Her last bike before this Honda was a Suzuki DRZ125L. In the past she had several Kawasaki KE100's.

Putting her on the CRF230L was the single best thing we ever did for her riding. She's now handling stuff with ease that used to cause much consternation and white knuckles as she desperately held on to a short wheelbase, small-wheeled bike with squat for torque.

I've ridden her CRF230L quite a few miles and I must say it is a very surprisingly capable trail bike. Fast? No. Well suspended? Not really. Torquey? Yup... quite noticably more so than our WR250R's. It has smooth power, stable handling, and it can pick along an uphill and putt like nobody's business... yet still run hiway speeds with stock gearing and gets much better MPG than we do.

It is one easy bike to ride with a low center of gravity, some 30lbs lighter than our WR's... and has a much lower seat height to boot. All of this made it perfect for the wife. For what it's designed to do, the CRF230L does it in spades.

Frankly, a smaller guy could have a ball on a CRF230L. Stone reliable. Cheap. (Wife's was $3400 out the door.) Nothing to dislike about it unless you're wanting a bike with a faster personality and more razzle dazzle (that can screw up).

Vinduroman
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Vinduroman wrote:
Bought a new leftover Honda CRF230L (the street legal dual sport bike) for my wife in April. This is her first "real" bike. (i.e. Full size wheels, big enough in cc to have some power, etc.) Over the decades she's ridden the "Big Wheel" type bikes. Her last bike before this Honda was a Suzuki DRZ125L. In the past she had several Kawasaki KE100's.

Putting her on the CRF230L was the single best thing we ever did for her riding. She's now handling stuff with ease that used to cause much consternation and white knuckles as she desperately held on to a short wheelbase, small-wheeled bike with squat for torque.

I've ridden her CRF230L quite a few miles and I must say it is a very surprisingly capable trail bike. Fast? No. Well suspended? Not really. Torquey? Yup... quite noticably more so than our WR250R's. It has smooth power, stable handling, and it can pick along an uphill and putt like nobody's business... yet still run hiway speeds with stock gearing and gets much better MPG than we do.

It is one easy bike to ride with a low center of gravity, some 30lbs lighter than our WR's... and has a much lower seat height to boot. All of this made it perfect for the wife. For what it's designed to do, the CRF230L does it in spades.

Frankly, a smaller guy could have a ball on a CRF230L. Stone reliable. Cheap. (Wife's was $3400 out the door.) Nothing to dislike about it unless you're wanting a bike with a faster personality and more razzle dazzle (that can screw up).

Vinduroman

You have to chose now - Honda or Yamaha. Which one you picking?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Already picked. Took delivery of a 2012 WR250R in May. I'm not a small guy (6'1" @215lbs). Wanted a taller bike w/more suspension and a more aggressive personality.

Put on about 628 miles on my WRR before it turned h e l l hole hot here in OK. So, since the heat wave hit, I haven't been out to the mountains on it since regearing. Just not into trail riding in 110+ degree heat. All in good time.

I hope I can dial it in to where I'm extremely happy with it. Otherwise, I might regret choosing the WRR instead of going ahead and purchasing a 2012 KMT 350 EXC-F instead.

Vinduroman
Back to top Go down
grnd0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Vinduroman wrote:

Vinduroman

Perfectly said. I have a 08 230L that I got about a yr ago. It is a real fun bike to ride, just not over 50 onroad.
That's why I bought the WR, way more capable on street and off. The honda is a blast on tight trails. Torque
motor and around 75 mpg. Super simple to work on too. The WR motor once up on the rpm a little, feels
like twice the power. My only complaint with the WR is smallish tank and seat height.

Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:55 pm

grnd0:

I'm adjusting okay to the taller height. The small tank is my only slight irk at this point. However, I don't like the larger tank options I've seen thus far. Is there a tank available with a bit more capacity that retains the use of the stock fairings? 2.5 gals would be fine with me. Just enough so I don't have to sweat it at 100 miles. I don't understand Yamaha designing this thing with a 1.9 gal tank.

Oh well... it is what it is!

Vinduroman
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 3:03 am

Zone: Mo bikes is mo betta.... You got the money and the space. Buy em all...

Comparison wise, the WR is an all-round better bike (better suspension, longer wheelbase, male ergonomics, more HP).

In it's element (tight, twisty, slower, smoother, no major HP demands) the CRF could be a better bike.

It's pretty high on the "Fun Factor" scale. However you will kick yourself for putting it on high speed whoops or HP intense terrain.
Back to top Go down
grnd0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 8:39 am

Vinduroman wrote:
grnd0:

I'm adjusting okay to the taller height. The small tank is my only slight irk at this point. However, I don't like the larger tank options I've seen thus far. Is there a tank available with a bit more capacity that retains the use of the stock fairings? 2.5 gals would be fine with me. Just enough so I don't have to sweat it at 100 miles. I don't understand Yamaha designing this thing with a 1.9 gal tank.

Oh well... it is what it is!

Vinduroman

Have a tank on its way right now. IMS 3.1 gal. Uses stock fairings. Check out thread on it, I sure did
before buying. Got it from Rockymountainatvmc. $250. shipped
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Pretty sure the stock tank is 2.1 gal for the us non Cal version. I've been running my tanks to about 110 miles and it holds about 1.9 when I fill up. Could go a good bit further if I rode easier. But yeah, just ignore the gas light, it comes on at like 1.5 talons. Just keep going over and paying attention to how much it holds each time until you get close to what the real fill up time should be.
Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 1:28 pm

oic0:

You are correct. According to my owners manual I just checked, assuming I have a US non-CA model, it is supposed to hold 2.1 gallons. I specifically requested a NON-CA bike when we went the "dealer swap" route. Didn't want it to come from CA. My bike came from Stillwater, OK to my dealer here in Poteau, OK, so I "assume" it to be a general US model.

grnd0:

I went through four pages of this forum and didn't see a thread about gas tanks. Is the information buried in a thread? Do you have ready access to the thread link? I would appreciate posting it if you do.

Vinduroman
Back to top Go down
grnd0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 1:43 pm

About 2 more pages and you would have found it. It's on, I think, around
page 6 of sweet mods. IMS has a 4.7 tank also.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t3564-ims-3-gallon-feedback
Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks. I was also looking in the wrong forum! Duh.

Anyway... looks to be the route I want to go. I like the esthetics of the little bike and would prefer to keep it as stock looking as possible. Seems the 3.1 gallon tank will allow me to do that.

Sorry for the short topic drift... we now return to our regularly scheduled program!

Vinduroman
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Pics and description here also:
Fuel tank <-- linky
Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 61865
Back to top Go down
grnd0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 6:06 pm

I thought about the bigger one but just don't like the look. I should get the tank on
Tuesday and will post my thoughts on it. Went on a nice on & offroad 50 mile ride
today and really like the WR a LOT. Hate to sell the 230L, but don't see myself riding it
at all after getting the WR.

Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:30 am

As an update to what I said earlier about range, I ran mine down until it started to cut out occasionally and immediately pulled into a gas station. Held 1.82 :( Guess that last 1/3rd of a gallon sloshes around too much to be useful. You could probably go a good ways further but youd be screwed if you had to climb a hill lol and cutting out mid corner aint fun either.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 3:14 pm

crazy_dave wrote:
I had a a 05 CRF230F plated in NY prior to my WR. I did a CR250 fork swap and a white bro rear with the simple power up mods. In the woods I could run away from bikes with twice the HP but out in the open it got its a$$kicked. It was a very fun play/trail bike, I still kinda miss it.

nah, it had knobbies ... maybe the same bike though. dunno I know I'd like the lower seat height, but would miss the extra WR power and better suspension.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 6:48 am

Most parts are interchangeable but basically the same bike. The F had a different carb and none of the EPA $hit
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Sure, I shopped it to death before I bought the WRR. Youtube review said "good for a woman" ie SMALL. When your 6'4" 200 lbs, ya need a man size machine. Plus, I'm old. I need room to stretch out and not cramp my legs.
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Ehh, rubbish that bike ... look at the hidden costs of this "reliable" waste of metal ...

Quote :
A bike needs more preventative care than a car or truck. In particular, the CRF’s maintenance schedule asks for an oil change at 600 miles and every 2,000 miles thereafter plus valve adjustment inspection at 600 miles, 4,000miles and each additional 4,000 miles thereafter. Additionally, a host of minor items require checking and adjustment at each and every interval. A $200 charge takes care of these items every 3,000 miles at Motorcycle shops in the Chicago suburbs.

The WRR only needs the valves checked at 26500 miles ... more miles than most people will ever see on it anyway.

So do a little math:

26500 / 4000 = 6.6

For every one valve check, on the WRR you will do it 6.6 times on the do-do bike. Multiply that by a (realistically on the low side) service price at the dealer:

6.6 x 200 = 1320

Now add $1320 to the price of that red-lawnmower-engine-holder and see how that feels. The Kawi is the same price and way better.

And I just noticed this new CRF250L http://powersports.honda.com/2013/crf250l/innovations.aspx and its even $500 less than the 230 ... go figure. Looks like a pretty nice bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250   Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250 Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever compared the Honda CRF230 to the Yamaha 250
Page 1 of 1