Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Sprocket & Chain wear question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ratthing

ratthing

Sprocket & Chain wear question Empty
PostSubject: Sprocket & Chain wear question   Sprocket & Chain wear question EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm a gearing n00b; I've been reading, but would appreciate a little educational help.

My WRR currently has D606s and 13/45. I assume it has a 110 link chain (haven't removed it yet so haven't verified).

I went to the Gearing Commander web site to play around with numbers to get a feel for max speed, rpm changes, etc. It seems like 13/45 is a decent "happy medium" for slightly better low-end without hampering the top speed.

Gearing Commander does flag 13/45 with 110 links for sub-optimal rear sprocket wear, though. Do folks commonly switch to an odd number of links to avoid wear? 109 or 111 links show green on the wear table.

I'm also considering 13/47 (no wear issues with 110 or 112 per GC). I'm thinking 13/47 might give 6th a little more "oomph" on grades--the only weakness I noticed with 13/45 was in the mountains of CO when I brought the bike home to Vegas.

Thanks--
=RT=
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket & Chain wear question   Sprocket & Chain wear question EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 5:32 pm

I'd have to say the answer to your question is no. Chains come in lengths that are even numbers. Although, you can convert one so that it has an odd number of links but you'll need to find a half link. Example of half link - click me Pictures of half links at the bottom of the page in figures 2 & 3.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket & Chain wear question   Sprocket & Chain wear question EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 7:02 pm

I wouldn't sweat any supposed chain/sprocket wear issues from a gearing calculator and simply settle on a ratio you like.

For me, I went with 12/47 on my WR-250R (mixed street commuting, street sport riding, and trail riding) and 13/49 on my WR-250X (street sport riding and commuting).
Back to top Go down
ratthing

ratthing

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket & Chain wear question   Sprocket & Chain wear question EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Heoz wrote:
I'd have to say the answer to your question is no. Chains come in lengths that are even numbers. Although, you can convert one so that it has an odd number of links but you'll need to find a half link. Example of half link - click me Pictures of half links at the bottom of the page in figures 2 & 3.

Thanks for that link, the picture makes all the difference. If I'd have sat down and drawn one myself I could have avoided asking. Shog

=RT=
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sprocket & Chain wear question   Sprocket & Chain wear question Empty

Back to top Go down

Sprocket & Chain wear question
Page 1 of 1