Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How to wheelie my WRR?

Go down 
+13
viper770
brendo
Lukifer
grnd0
R1-Dave
oic0
Swagger
DragonNester
Coop
mvonhatten
GunMetal87
MotoKirby
shep546
17 posters
AuthorMessage
shep546

How to wheelie my WRR? Empty
PostSubject: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Hey guys, newish rider here.

I have searched all the wheelie threads and everyone seems to say something different.

Start off how should I be wheeling on a stock wrr?

I have been told two things, first I was told, get going in 2nd gear at about 20km/h and give it good gas then quickly pop your clutch in and out... this did nothing.

Then I have tried rolling it in first, pulling clutch in, giving gas, then dropping the clutch out and usually it just launches me forward.

Do I need to lean back? more gas? What about third gear wheelies? Thanks
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Third gear wheelies on a stock wr aren't going to happen. If your using the clutch in 1st and it's not working, you need to give it more gas. Cover tat rear brake!
Back to top Go down
GunMetal87

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 10:17 am

In 1st or 2nd gear with the throttle at 75% - Stand up - lean FWD - Then simultaneously throw your weight back and your ass in the seat while accelerating 100% throttle.

Basically you have to time rocking the bike and twisting the throttle perfectly. no clutch needed. GL! thumb
Back to top Go down
mvonhatten

mvonhatten

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Yup both guys are right.

This video will make you a pro
Wheelie-101

The WR just needs more gas if you're sitting/clutching
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 3:47 pm

GunMetal87 wrote:
In 1st or 2nd gear with the throttle at 75% - Stand up - lean FWD - Then simultaneously throw your weight back and your ass in the seat while accelerating 100% throttle.

Basically you have to time rocking the bike and twisting the throttle perfectly. no clutch needed. GL! thumb

This is how I do it. I've never mastered the clutch technique. But then I usually only wheely to clear obstacles off-road.
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Get started slowly on firm ground...feet on the pegs...butt over the rear axle (sitting far back as possible)...rev the motor with the clutch in...keep it revved up as you dump the clutch quickly. Up she goes!! Learn to control the amount and duration of the lift using the throttle. Then do it in second gear...it will last longer and be more controllable. The key is a light front end, good traction and lower rpm's. I only wheelie off-road...better cushioning when doing the unexpected dismount.

At least that's how it works for me.
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

All my practising has been off road on soft dirt.

I'll practice some more when I can and let you guys know how it went... I'll try the power wheelies without clutch first.
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:04 pm

shep546 wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys.

All my practising has been off road on soft dirt.

I'll practice some more when I can and let you guys know how it went... I'll try the power wheelies without clutch first.

In soft dirt you may need to stand and preload the suspension by bouncing the front end.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Just dont do it on the road in my home state! poser2
CLICK ME deal

Last edited by Swagger on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Swagger wrote:
Just dont do ot on the road in my home state! poser2
CLICK ME deal

Ouch!

I'll be keeping my wheelies on the dirt haha besides it's hard to do 1st or 2nd gear wheelies on the road usually I am going much too fast
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 9:00 am

I just get the revs to just before the meat of the power band, chop the throttle then lay in to it. Will stand up until I run out of gear. I've never been much for riding wheelies though :/ I usually consider them an unintended consequence.
Back to top Go down
R1-Dave

R1-Dave

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:50 am

Here's one of mine on my WR-R. Second gear to get it up with the clutch, then a gear change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B88BUfPv6Q
Back to top Go down
grnd0

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:45 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Impressive Dave, I never mastered wheelies like that. But then most of my wheelies are done off road to clear obstacles and that's it haha.
Back to top Go down
R1-Dave

R1-Dave

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Coop wrote:
Impressive Dave, I never mastered wheelies like that. But then most of my wheelies are done off road to clear obstacles and that's it haha.

Thanks. Yeah, not really much reason to wheelie on the road other than for fun. Haha.

Did a camera test a while ago. I stuck the GoPro on my GF's Ninja 250R and did a side by side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL2ws0H0s-o
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 8:46 am

Yeah I watched that one yesterday too, you make it look easy thumb .
Back to top Go down
Lukifer

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Im still playing with wheelies myself. Clutching it scares me because if I give it too much gas or pop it too hard, Im afraid of going over. But everyone I talk to says they are better than roll on wheelies. I prefer to just mash the throttle and if i start going too far back off it a bit.
Back to top Go down
brendo

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 6:43 pm

you won't flip clutching it on a wr unless you have the throttle absolutely pinned.
cover the rear brake just in case though.
Back to top Go down
Lukifer

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 5:02 pm

So keep it about 75-90% throttle and pop the clutch??
Back to top Go down
brendo

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:44 pm

ehh. not exactly.

find the clutch engagement point and practice pulling the lever your index finger. you shouldn't be pulling it in more than 20-30%. maybe halfway. do not pull in the clutch completely like you're going to do an MX start.

you want to be rolling in low RPMs, first or second gear. the nose will pop up a lot easier in first than it will in second. you shouldn't have the throttle much past the point where the bike wants to kill when you're just starting off (not so minimal that it's bogging and sputtering, but a hair above that).

keep rolling in your low RPMs.. rollin.. rollin.. rollin.. don't let off that throttle.. then yank your clutch in to the engagement point while simultaneously rolling on the throttle. the more throttle, the more aggressively your nose will pop up.

if your nose doesn't pop up, your timing is off. just keep practicing. it's about as frustrating as learning how to use the clutch for the first time.

i wouldn't suggest trying to hold 'em out right off the bat. just get comfortable getting the nose up a couple feet and then letting off the throttle. maybe even get to the point where it spooks ya a couple times like you're going to loop out. also, if that happens, hammer on that back brake son! the front end will come right down. i suppose you should probably cover the back brake just in case while you're learning anyway, but i never did that :nono:..

once you get the feel for poppin' em, get comfortable with your balance point (which is the point between AWWWWWW YEAAAAAHHHHH and OHHHHH SHIT!) once you've figured that out, just get that nose up, let off the throttle ever-so-slightly, and ride that bitch out beavis

it can take you a long time to figure it out, my last words of advice are don't be discouraged and don't be a pussy. some people never get the whole holding it out thing. my dad had ridden motorcycles for ~20 years when he taught me how to wheelie. i've been on bikes for ~8 (with a 3 year intermission) and he can't wheelie half what i can today. old man's still got me in the corners and whoops though. fucker.

oh yeah and, IMHO, fuck standing up and throwing yourself into the seat, good way to throw out your back.
Back to top Go down
viper770

viper770

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 2:28 am

I dont know about the rest of you guys but i just snap the throttle and up comes the front tire then after that i start shifting through the gears 3 gear is as far as i have gotten
Back to top Go down
canyon63

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 9:09 am

with 13/42 I would pop up the front in first going pretty slow and shift to second near the balance point, and shift to 3rd if I could hold it up.
with 13/47 I would pop up the front in second, shift to 3rd near the balance point, and shift to 4th if I could hold it up. Can't ride the balance point yet.
Back to top Go down
sewerat

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Don't say you can't loop it out with a clutch wheelie either. I was putting the wifes bike away a few weeks ago, avon tires on grass, turned around in yard tried once and could only spin tire, came back and thought i'd try a little more pull to the bars and next thing I know I'm laying on the ground, no gear on at all in my back yard. Busted the tail light and bent the plate all to hell. Bike has stock gearing, mine in geared up and I wheelie it all the time.
Back to top Go down
737pilot

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Mine is geared at 13:47, and I basically accelerate a bit in 2nd gear, retard the throttle(engine braking will help pushing the weight forward) and as the front fork compresses I lean back and give it approx 75% throttle initially then gradually increase 'til I get a good rise...
Back to top Go down
GBX

GBX

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 pm

All good advice, but i suggest just getting totally confident on the bike first and learning exactly how it handles, to me wheelys are a confidence thing, you will be pulling them more, going further on one wheel the more you ride and get to know the bike and build confidence on it.

I think it would be stupid jumping on a new to you WRR and trying to pull wheelys for small thrills and to think you look cool when more than likely cos you havent got to know the bike you will end up laying next to it in bits on the floor.

Take your time and you will naturally learn to wheely on it when you know the bike well enough :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to wheelie my WRR?   How to wheelie my WRR? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to wheelie my WRR?
Page 1 of 1