Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help Picking Tires

Go down 
+5
mucker
Coop
grnd0
DragonNester
Just Bob
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Just Bob

Just Bob

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 1:37 pm

Yeah, I've read about all the posts, the highs and lows of different tires. Thought I'd ask for opinions for me. I'm an old fart so I don't do much gnarly stuff. Sometimes a mud puddle, but don't go looking for them. Too spastic for jumping. I like fire roads and hanging the back end out. I'm about 50/50 dirt to tar.

I'm currently on a 606 front which I like. My rear is a Shinko trials style tread and is ready for replacement. I like how it goes and grabs enough now but wondering what is the best rear for my type of riding.

Stick with a trials tread or go 606?

I'm also thinking the lighter the tire the more poke I'd have.

Couldn't care less how long they last. After track riding where I'd get two days out of a $400 set of slicks, anything that lasts a month is a bargain to me.

Thank you in advance fellow inmates.
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:04 pm

I buy tires that do the best job for the roughest conditions they'll encounter...therefore, D606's (or the equivalent) work really well for me.

Last edited by DragonNester on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
grnd0

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:31 pm

If you're doing about 50-50 and you're running a Shinko 244
I'd stick with it.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 5:05 pm

I must be one of the only people that rides a dual sport that just doesn't really like the 606. If the trails are slick at all (not deep mud but slick and slimy like right after a light rain) that tire doesn't hook up for anything. At least not on the type of dirt here in my part of SW Pa haha.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:33 pm

For my riding skill, on my wrr.....the 606 rear has only failed predictably as I pushed it.
In other words....it was a great tire on the back, for me....pushin what I got, and is consistent.
I think that the 606 rear may be, some kind of perfect compromise, for the wrr. The front 606 is less impressive to me.

Anywho, I fully recommend the rear 606...but I also get my new MT43's to ride tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:32 am

Thanks all for the thoughts.

Pulled off the old 606 front and Shinko MT43 copy and put on a new set of 606s. Findings; The front walks around spooky bad at high speeds on loose stuff. Same psi as before. Read somewhere about this but didn't think it would be so bad. The rear is nicer for roosting corners. The old Shinko wouldn't hook up when I hung it out. 606 Traction seems less than the trials MT43 type tire. Wants to dig a hole instead of just getting on with it. Weather report says I'm going to find out how the 606s do in mud this weekend. Very happy

One thing that stood out with the new 606s was dry asphalt grip. Amazing for a knobly.

I'll burn these up and then I think try a set of MT43s on both ends. Crawdaddy seems to love them and since he bought a 66cc motorized bicycle his esteem has risen in the trusted maniac department.
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 pm

I have not run a D606 on a WRR yet, but I liked the rear on my DR350, the front less so.

My fav. front is Pirelli MT-21. Liked it on my DR650, and I like it on the WRR.

I just ordered a T-63 rear, as I was too chicken to mount a MT-43 because the bike is so tall, and with the factory lowering (shock clevis and fork) it is now just barely OK height-wise.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 5:39 pm

I just had my 606's taken off...the rear still has meat...the front is lookin scalloped bad, though the rest of it looks like the rear.
So, my rear outlasted the front easily. I'll keep the rear for a spare...but the front is barely worth that.
Riding 50/50 dirt/street, mileage wise,...my best guess, if not more street miles.

...I'll post a pic later...and c
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Just this afternoon I picked up a Michelin T63 rear and a Pirelli MT21 front to give that combo a try. It was highly recommended by a number of folks when I was trying to decide what to order.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 pm

saddletramp wrote:
Just this afternoon I picked up a Michelin T63 rear and a Pirelli MT21 front to give that combo a try. It was highly recommended by a number of folks when I was trying to decide what to order.

A friend put that combo on his/fathers xt225...they looked decent enough, and he had no complaints.
My other buddy, put the mt21 set on his wrr, and no complaints about perfomance. But they are wearing fast, his rear especially.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 12:52 am

When I get knobbies again, I'm probably going to go with an MT21 or MT16 front and a D606 rear. I liked the MT21 when I borrowed a friend's Husaberg with it on the front, and the MT16 is even more aggressive.

On the back, the D606 just flat works. The trials tires were ok but I prefer the way a knobby rides and don't like the idea of doing a lot of highway travel on a tires that only wants to run 8-10psi for maximum grip and longevity (too squishy, gets too hot and chunks). I've tried a bunch of other rear tires, and I'm going back to the D606. Lasts forever, hooks great until the knobs are gone in all terrain, feels great on the pavement (even if it is a howling sumbitch at highway speeds), and well priced.
Back to top Go down
duanew

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 am

skierd wrote:
When I get knobbies again, I'm probably going to go with an MT21 or MT16 front and a D606 rear. I liked the MT21 when I borrowed a friend's Husaberg with it on the front, and the MT16 is even more aggressive.

The MT16 is my favorite front tire so far. It handles great on pavement and does great off road. The Scorpion Pro that I used is second favorite. It does better off road but not as good on road.

I believe that you cannot have too much front traction on a bike. It is more confidence inspiring and front tires last pretty long anyway. I got about the same amount of life out of a front MT16 as the T63 rear that I had on at the time.

I am not sure about rear tires yet. I have not tried a D606 yet because of its size. The T63 was nice until it wore down halfway. I have a Shinko 241 trials on there now and I am not sure that it fits my riding style well. I think that I will have to get used to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help Picking Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Picking Tires   Help Picking Tires Empty

Back to top Go down

Help Picking Tires
Page 1 of 1