Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

E10 melting?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sewcrates

E10 melting? Empty
PostSubject: E10 melting?   E10 melting? EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Hey all.
I bought the WML E-10 saddlebags for my previous bike (2004 WR250F) and just got a 2008 WR250X. The previous owner had replaced the pipe with a GYTR and re-installed the OEM heat shield. The E-10 bags fit fine, but were resting on the heat shield. After about 2 hours on the trail, I smelled burning rubber and noticed the bag was melting a little where it sat on the heat shield. For the rest of the trip, I was constantly fighting to keep the bag off the shield by tightening the straps and rigging up some bungee cords to keep it off.
From all the pics I have seen, it appears everyone lets the bags sit on the shield. I thought about rigging a stand-off bracket like some have done (http://www.wrrdualsport.com/reviews-intro/parts/89-endurosaddlebags) but it seems that if I have the heat shield, it shouldn't be necessary.
I don't really want to have to get a rack for a pannier set because I only take 2-3 overnight trips a year but if I can't resolve this issue, I don't see any other choice.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
TKO

TKO

E10 melting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E10 melting?   E10 melting? EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 pm

My E-10s sit on my FMF Q4 with no shield all day long with no problems. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sewcrates

E10 melting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E10 melting?   E10 melting? EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:15 pm

I took a closer look. The problem is that the bottom corner of the heat shield facing the bike was pushed onto the muffler by the weight of the bags. I will look into different ways of mounting the bags in order to avoid this.
Any suggestions on solving the issue? There is no insulation under that section of the shield.
Back to top Go down
yaw

E10 melting? Empty
PostSubject: add leather   E10 melting? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Not sure this will help but I had a piece of leather sewn on the bottom of my bag. I have an original muffler with no heat shield. I got some screen used to keep the leaves out of your gutters, rolled it up loosely and attached it to the muffler with a few clamps. Ghetto I know. I kind of like it. Gets lots of compliments! So far the bag has not burned. I've ridden about 5,000 miles with it this way. I also got some of that silver insulation bubble wrap from a hardware store and lined the inside of the bag with it to keep the heat away from the contents. Not sure it it makes a difference but hey it only cost a buck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

E10 melting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E10 melting?   E10 melting? Empty

Back to top Go down

E10 melting?
Page 1 of 1