Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?

Go down 
+3
Swagger
pbnut
Arkmage
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Arkmage

Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? Empty
PostSubject: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 3:20 pm

So, the axle sliders installed by the previous owner have been down 3 times now and aside from some minor scraps to the water pump outlet and hand guards the bike hasn't seen concrete.

I went out and bought some pink skateboard wheels that are the same length (wheel width) as the original slider, but they looks goofy as sin being so long. The old black ones blended in enough that it wasn't an issue.

I noticed most of ya'll have a much smaller skateboard wheel. My question is this. Have any of you with the little ones (like the banner pic for example) have been down? Did they stick out enough to work as intended? Seems like they need to stick out far enough that the bike can lay down and sit on them and the hand guards without other stuff hitting the floor. Since my long ones just barely saved the water pump, I don't think the cute little wheels will do the job.

I'll put a picture up in a bit after I change clothes from church and get into the garage.

Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? 8110978996_9325489d30
IMG_20121020_185959 by Noah_K_T, on Flickr

Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? 8110982166_1c234eb28e
IMG_20121021_143520 by Noah_K_T, on Flickr

Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? 8110981798_8d8111a0e0
IMG_20121021_143515 by Noah_K_T, on Flickr

Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? 8110981807_3ba806897c
IMG_20121021_143818 by Noah_K_T, on Flickr

Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? 8110977195_b3edee830b
IMG_20121021_143550 by Noah_K_T, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 am

I've got even smaller wheels on my X. I dropped it at the track a couple months ago and the only damage was the wheels themselves, scratched up Ti peg, the rod through the rear axle bent some (beat it straight with a hammer), and the throttle tube got chewed up. The plastics might have taken some minor rash, but it would have blended in with existig rash. Shog

I've looked it over a few times since then and I've not found any damage to the engine. I think the peg might have kept the engine away from the pavement.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Sweet. Thanks for the reply. I'll have to see if Toys 'R Us has a girly skateboard with pink wheels. I bought these at a skateshop and they were far more expensive than I'd care to admit.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:10 pm

The previous owner of my X laid it down once pretty good - no sliders. Said it slid quite a way. No damage to the bike other than the pegs, throttle tube and brake lever.
As you can see, wore straight through the peg which now catches my pants all the time! baldy
Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? 2012-120

Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? 2012-121

Back to top Go down
D J

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 2:26 pm

I had a nice concrete fall bike slid a good 50ft my skateboard wheels took a little scratch but handguards and foot peg took most of the damage
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Just add washers or a spacer behind the 'pink protectors' to get the distance you need...
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:04 pm

How are you guys attaching the skateboard wheels to the axle? Threaded rod and lock nuts?
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:09 pm

WolfpackFBNS wrote:
How are you guys attaching the skateboard wheels to the axle? Threaded rod and lock nuts?

Thats what I used. You have to use a smaller threaded rod on the front if i remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
WolfpackFBNS

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 pm

Swagger wrote:
WolfpackFBNS wrote:

Thats what I used. You have to use a smaller threaded rod on the front if i remember correctly.

thumb Thanks for the quick reply. So just a Home Depot/Lowes Hardware kinda setup? I looked there yesterday and thought that if the rods had any movement while riding that the threads would tear up the inside of the axle. Is there a way to prevent that?
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:46 pm

Yep, home depot threaded rod cut to size with stainless washers and nuts. For reason i can upload any pics. Front i think is 1/4 in and back is 3/8 rod. When you tighten the wheels down that rods not moving from "riding."
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 9:13 pm

I have some custom sliders machined from Delrin on my WRX. Been down once with them. Only slight damage to the sliders and handguards. No biggie. I've got 1/4-20 threaded rod front and back.
If I were you, I'd put the black sliders back on. I've heard skateboard wheels can grip too much instead of sliding when you lay it down. And as far as the wear on the black ones...Be proud !!! If any crotch rockets laugh, you can laugh at them 'cause they would have to replace their fairings if they go down. Supermotos are tough. They are made to take a beating.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?   Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Skateboard Wheel Sliders - Anyone crashed yet?
Page 1 of 1