Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Engine Cut Off

Go down 
+4
YZEtc
pbnut
PYG RYDR
rsteiger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rsteiger

rsteiger

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Well I just got back from a 280 mile DS ride down to south GA and back.

Bike has been running like a champ after the Ultimate airbox mod, DRD slip on, and FMF programmer. The today I was plaqued with the occasional engine shut down /cut out.

Usually would happen in 5th or 6th gear pulling a load at around 60-65 MPH. All of a sudden the engine would just cut out. If I pulled in the clutch the engine would come back to life. Almost feels like a switch was thrown and pull in the clutch allows the engine to start running again. I am wondering if this may be an issue with the kick stand switch.

Since I am installing the Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution this week I will be going over the electrical connections to make sure everything is tight.

Has anyone seen this before?
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 pm

What about your air filter?

Dirty?

Too much oil left after cleaning?

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 am

PYG RYDR wrote:
What about your air filter?

Dirty?

Too much oil left after cleaning?

Good luck!

Certainly will check that but I mean when the engine cut out it was as if I threw the kill switch... no throttle response at all. Then I would pull in the clutch and the motor would come back to life.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 am

Check your battery connections. I had a similar thing happen one day. It turned out my negative side battery terminal was loose. Tightened it up and it's been fine ever since.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:13 am

Back to top Go down
skrew

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 8:07 am

Dig definitely into FMF settings.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 1:09 am

skrew wrote:
Dig definitely into FMF settings.

I know that 5th number on the FMF settings is 4 right now.

I read through the threads on the FMF programmer but find it strange that the bike would only fire back up after I pulled the clutch in.

This weekend I am pulling off the shock and forks and sending them to GoRace. While they are being reworked I will be going through the electrical system checking connections and installing an Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution for my Powerlet plugs and LED Spots that will be mounted in place of the front turn signals (turn signals are being relocated to the HDB handguard shields).

I will adjust the 5th number on the FMF programmer since it sounds like it wouldn't hurt anything and worse case I can always set it back.

While I have it apart I think I will be doing the clutch and side stand switch bypass - had those on my DR650 after a couple of lessons learned on the trails.
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 2:10 am

My money is on the FMF programmer, I got fed up with mine and unplugged it. Runs fine now!! If you look on FMF web page you will no longer find the programmer. What does that tell you?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 2:19 am

abchel wrote:
My money is on the FMF programmer, I got fed up with mine and unplugged it. Runs fine now!! If you look on FMF web page you will no longer find the programmer. What does that tell you?

Have you done any mods on the bike?
Back to top Go down
skrew

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 3:47 am

abchel wrote:

And how do you ritching FA mixture now? FMF is not a manufacturer of Power Programmer - Dobeck is.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 am

I had this same issue and since adjusting the 5th number on the FMF PP it hasn't come back. It was on a 4 when I purchased the bike. I bumped it up to 6, per other threads and it seems to have fixed the problem.

With the problem, if I released the throttle all the way and then gave it gas again it would work, so maybe when you are pulling the clutch in you are letting off the throttle also. Seems like a bug in the programmer.
Back to top Go down
robertnsmith

robertnsmith

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Same thing here...   Engine Cut Off EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:16 am

I just installed the FMF programmer on my stock WRR and had one instance of it cutting out during my first ride since the install (never happened before in 1600+ miles). My 5th setting is at 4... I'm going to bump it up to 6 based on feedback seen in various other threads about this issue and see how it does.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 11:27 am

dmmcd wrote:
I had this same issue and since adjusting the 5th number on the FMF PP it hasn't come back. It was on a 4 when I purchased the bike. I bumped it up to 6, per other threads and it seems to have fixed the problem.

With the problem, if I released the throttle all the way and then gave it gas again it would work, so maybe when you are pulling the clutch in you are letting off the throttle also. Seems like a bug in the programmer.

Good point!

Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 8:45 pm

dmmcd wrote:

Well I haven't done much work or riding the WRR in a bit but today I did notice that when it cut out I rolled the throttle off and did not touch the clutch and rolled it back on and everything was fine.

I am taking the bike apart this weekend and will adjust the 5th number during all the work that I am doing to it. Looks like I will be heading out to CO and UT for a 2 week DS ride and with the way work is right now I need to my farkling moving.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 10:22 pm

rsteiger wrote:
Well I haven't done much work or riding the WRR in a bit but today I did notice that when it cut out I rolled the throttle off and did not touch the clutch and rolled it back on and everything was fine.

I am taking the bike apart this weekend and will adjust the 5th number during all the work that I am doing to it. Looks like I will be heading out to CO and UT for a 2 week DS ride and with the way work is right now I need to my farkling moving.

Ok. Put on few goodies this weekend.

Installed the HDB integrated turn signal shields and used a running light adapter from 12 O'Clock labs along with their fixed rate flasher unit.

Also replaced my Ricochet Skid plate with a Moose Racing HDPE skid plate... much quieter.
Engine Cut Off 487619_10200146393377075_1351938589_n

Installed some M8 eyelets for tie downs where my passenger foot pegs use to be.
Engine Cut Off 579220_10200146393417076_487431232_n

Installed a Flatland Radiator Guard:
Engine Cut Off 486119_10200146393297073_935148508_n

Once I had the stock front turn signals off I installed this turn signal brack from 12 O'Clock labs where I will be installing my LED spot lights in the near future:
Engine Cut Off 164439_10200146393697083_1616507711_n

But the best was taking the 5th setting on the FMF programmer from 4 to 6.5. So far no more cut out under acceleration!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine Cut Off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Cut Off   Engine Cut Off Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine Cut Off
Page 1 of 1