Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

North to Alaska

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pfy50

pfy50

North to Alaska  Empty
PostSubject: North to Alaska    North to Alaska  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Well, I've put it up on the ADVrider forum so I should probably mention it here also. I have a return ride to Alaska/D2D Dawson,YT. planning now and looking for a rare individual that has the time(6-7wks.jun/july) and personal finances(hotel/camping mix: is up for change) to accompany me(Lv. Tenn.) all or part of this trip. Trip's only 2 destinations planned for are the Dust 2 Dawson gathering Jun 20-21, 2013 and an attempt(weather permitting) 4 day ride to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, Ak. All else including some travel by AMHS ferry is being worked into the schedule. Anyone think they may qualify thumb should have similar bike; speak up wings
Paul Y. pfy50 on most Forums
Back to top Go down
skierd

North to Alaska  Empty
PostSubject: Re: North to Alaska    North to Alaska  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 pm

While you're in Dawson, you might want to plan to ride to Inuvik since you're already at the base of the Dempster, then heading over to Fairbanks and the Dalton.

If you need services when you're up here, talk to Dan and Shawn at ADV Cycleworks in Fairbanks. Also, if you need a place to crash I can probably accomodate. I'll probably be riding to Dawson from Fairbanks, don't know if I'll be able to take the time off or not for a run all the way to Prudhoe though.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

North to Alaska  Empty
PostSubject: Re: North to Alaska    North to Alaska  EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 am

skierd wrote:
While you're in Dawson, you might want to plan to ride to Inuvik since you're already at the base of the Dempster, then heading over to Fairbanks and the Dalton.

If you need services when you're up here, talk to Dan and Shawn at ADV Cycleworks in Fairbanks. Also, if you need a place to crash I can probably accomodate. I'll probably be riding to Dawson from Fairbanks, don't know if I'll be able to take the time off or not for a run all the way to Prudhoe though.

TNX Skierd for the offer,

Didn't I read a RR on you going up that route last year? What tires you think would be good on the WRR to do the Dalton? Is the last 40 miles into Deadhorse still that deep riverbed loose gravel? As for the Dempster I may try some of it possibly up to Ft McPherson, but side trips will depend on weather and timing. My main focus will be the Dalton since I tried twice on my previous trip I would like to get it done. I've scheduled AMHS ferry trip as part of the trip so I have to meet it on a certain date which I have yet to set. I'm waiting now to get some other local dates(church mission trip) that I have to plan my trip around. Once they are known then direction: Bellingham,Wa ferry to Whittier then north; or drive up thru Canada from Tenn. to D2D and afterward into Alaska then take AMHS ferry back from Whittier or Haines,AK. can be planned; I'm trying to keep border crossings and number of tire changes down to min.
Shawn/Dan (father?) did my tire work when I was up in 2010.
Still have your WRR or have you sold it?

Paul
Back to top Go down
skierd

North to Alaska  Empty
PostSubject: Re: North to Alaska    North to Alaska  EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:04 am

I moved to Fairbanks last year, and rode the Dalton on the 3-day mid week vacation from work.

I ran just fine with a continental sport touring front and a heidenau K76 rear, but the highway was dry for me up and back. The last 40 or 50 miles were all hard pack gravel, pretty dry but very little dust.

Still have the WRR, but its status is up in the air at this point. Motor's not looking too healthy, not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

North to Alaska  Empty
PostSubject: Re: North to Alaska    North to Alaska  EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Well time to update;

Unfortunately it is a BUST for my trip North to Alaska this year. I may do part of it yet within the continental US but the main part is put off due to family needs which of course take precedence over free time trips out and about. I am still planning a seriously shortened trip to do the CDT section of the trip in June or early Sept. and some Rallies in between. horse
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

North to Alaska  Empty
PostSubject: Re: North to Alaska    North to Alaska  Empty

Back to top Go down

North to Alaska
Page 1 of 1