Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Is it time?

Go down 
+7
BUSTER
gatorfan
mucker
Biglake
Jäger
skierd
longtallsally
11 posters
AuthorMessage
longtallsally

longtallsally

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Well, I've been back a good while now and been able to ride a decent amount (still not as much as I'd like). With that being the case, I've gotten better (not great, but enough to matter) with the little bike.

You all know the next question... I started the discussion here: https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7438-is-it-worth-it but this time I'm taking to the next level: is it time for a more powerful bike, or is it worth it to invest in the Athena kit, pipe, and do the suspension?

I did the gears (1 tooth in front and I can't remember how many in the rear). Oh lord was that a huge difference. I mean night and day. Since my road stints are just to connect trails these days, the fact that I get only a bit over 60mph unless I bet the bike really bad doesn't bother me.

I also added taller bars to accompany the rox risers. Bottom line, I fell in love with the bike all over again. I now understand the importance of correct ergos to reduce fatigue and improve your ability to do stuff.

Anyway, I'm babbling as usual, but the bottom line question is that is it worth it to put another $2k into this bike to get it that much closer? Or should I find an orange bike, or a plated XR or maybe even a Husky?

The WR isn't going anywhere as it is still her bike, so when she decides to start riding again (when the baby is old enough) she'll have something. But if I change out the suspension, that will truly turn it into mine and I'll just need to get another bike.

I really love the WR. It is just so fun and on a recent trip to DV I was keeping up with folks in technical stuff that I usually can't and just had a blast. However, there were just times I had to wring its neck and wish I could have had a bit more low end. I've read HighFive's rundown of the Athena kit and it really sounds like a good investment, but it is a decent cost. And if I spend $2k on this bike (Athena, full exhaust, and suspension work) I'd be really close to getting a used machine with a good bit more grunt and possibly a bit better components.

You guys (and gals) always have such good advice, so I thought I'd pose it here first.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 am

I was at the same point a few months ago and was set on trying to sell my WRR. In the end, I decided that while the $2000ish dollars I'd spend on upgrading it would easily buy a decent used dirt bike, I know my WR like the back of my hand and it'll be like-new once I take care of all of the deferred maintenance I put off while using it as my sole transportation. Its really really nice to have a plated bike too, especially in states where you can't easily get a dirt bike street registered for dual sport use. And as you've found, even stock its a really really capable machine. I still don't think the big bore kits are 'worth it' as far as making it more of a true dirt bike, but the extra grunt is nice... mainly on road. I've never thought the bike needed more power off-road on trails except maybe in the high Rockies trying to go up and over mountains.

For me, I didn't think I'd ride a true dirt bike enough to warrant replacing a perfectly good and extremely capable dual sport. I'll still hit the MX track with it this summer, and might even ride there to do so. But then I'll still have my good travel bike for the long rides and for areas that require road connections to ride.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 am

My thinking on this led me think I was more in an "apples and oranges" situation than "new and improved bike needed".

Which has led to me eyeballing a Wee Strom that the current owner has rode to Utah and back, Colorado journeys, etc numerous times. Nicely set up for "prepared road surface" time adventure riding. He's supposedly selling it this spring, and I'm waiting to pounce if the price is where I think it should be.

In my case, I came to the conclusion that they are two different types of riding; the Wee Strom is no more in its element where I mostly ride the WRR than the WRR is well suited for trips like that Wee Strom has done before.

And therefore, instead of pursuing the Holy Grail of a bike that can do both kinds of riding every bit as well, I decided to just look for one more bike for the garage. And for me, that Wee Strom is probably it. Not to mention a nice bike for a friendly little ride on the slab to some destination or other, no dirt tires required.
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 1:11 am

Jaeger has a good point. But I have the GSA. All I really want for this machine is a plated dirt bike. I plan on towing this machine everywhere, b/c anything for distance will be with the GSA. I just put a set of Ohlins on it and took it to a dirt park yesterday and was again stupified at what the big pig is capable of. I can jump it again with the new shocks, loft the front when necessary, and based on torque, do some nasty hill climbs.

However, it is nice to be able to do that stuff with the GS, but it is one heck of a workout due to its heft, and I'd rather just use it for high speed desert runs and have it loaded for camping and the like and have the ability to do 100 mph all day long on a comfy couch with much more comfy camping gear. I did a 1400 mile trip on the WR with 1k of it being off road. It was great, but I was a serious road block on the road (still stock gearing) and I am a bit big to be cramped up like that on a bike for any distance.

The WR is for technical, generally low(ish) speed stuff, and not caring if I fall down and break something on the bike as I can just rescue it with the Jeep and get it home to fix it. The same principle would apply to any machine I'd replace it with.

What I have learned with the WR is that I MUST have a plate, and if a replacement is warranted, I want it to weigh what the WR does, or less. I'm just now getting greedy and want a machine that I won't have to rev to the moon to get places, and will more easily bring up the front end. The WR will do everything I want it to do- it just has to work awful hard to do it.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Get a 350-500 KTM exc or husaburg.
Some guys just dont like small bikes and like to have tons of low end tq, sounds like your one of them lol.
I ride with a mix of bikes from 200s to 500s, the bigger bikes arent really any faster in the rough stuff you just dont have to rev them up to go fast.
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Good point. And unless things get to be more open, I can generally keep up with more powerful bikes, but like I said really have to wring the little WR out. I know I'm not going to hurt it, but I have to go to the gearbox more often than I'd like to keep it on full boil or at least in the power band. Remember, I'm a goon, so I weigh a bit more too.

So the point is that if I spend the cash and effort to further along the WR, it will take it away from my wife being able to use it any longer due to much stiffer suspension and will necessitate another bike for my wife.

I think I'm going to leave the little bike as is, and just ride it like I have been. I have been shopping a good bit and I can get some pretty nice machinery for $3500 or so that will have significantly more power, travel, etc. For all intents and purposes, that is only another $1500 for another bike above what I'd have to put into the WR to make it "closer" to what would be best.

I truly love the WR, but if I'm going to have a long term machine, I'll probably need a bit more grunt. So I think I answered my question, and it is time, but I'll be rockin' the WR until I find a worthwhile "upgrade" (which will not be an easy task based on the fact that I've become addicted to the reliability of the WR).
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Definitely sounds like you desire a different bike...but your hesitation to try something other than a wrr is understandable.
With a new bike, especially higher strung or way bigger, will change the experience for sure...for better or worse is up to you.
For me, I'm gonna go with the wringing the shit out of it option untill it bores me or breaks...can't seem to break it sofar.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 7:15 pm

I'd consider the KTM 350.
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 8:29 pm

I actually want a 500exc, but that's not in the budget right now.
Back to top Go down
BUSTER

BUSTER

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 12:24 am

Biglake wrote:
Get a 350-500 KTM exc or husaburg.
thumb

gatorfan wrote:
I'd consider the KTM 350.
thumb

longtallsally wrote:
I actually want a 500exc, but that's not in the budget right now.
thumb

I was on the 310 out there with you in DV. wink

I was debating a pricey suspension upgrade on my 800gs and decided to pick up a Husky 310 instead. It's next in line to the KTM 350 but about half the cost. It has plenty of grunt for me with 14/50 gearing but you're going to wind it out on the highway. In reality, it's just a dirt bike, and the extra cc's give you more torque, not horsepower. I would think a guy your size would enjoy a solid used 450/525exc, but I haven't owned either of those so I'll just tell ya what I know about the 310...

The Husqvarna TE310R, like the WRR, is fuel injected (starting in 2011). FI is a big plus for me. It's just so crisp. The 310 has a leg up on the WRR because it has a lot more torque. It's like a 250 on steroids, so you can be A LITTLE lazier with the gear selection since there's more grunt in the low to mid range. If you like the feel of a tiny plated dirt bike, and it sounds like you do, you'll love the 310. It's very nimble. The brakes are great. It's a good overall package but few bikes can compete with the WRR's bulletproof, no-maintenance-required track record. Be prepared to change your oil and filter every couple rides. Even if you upgraded the suspension you wouldn't come close to what a 350exc or 500exc costs. So, it puts it in the running for someone like me. Even with all my upgrades (Flexx bars, Rekluse, Cycra handguards, mirrors, gps mount, etc) I came in thousands of dollars less than a new 350exc, but they weren't wheeling and dealing back then either. This is my first 'off-brand' bike, and I couldn't be happier.

But you should buy something bigger. hide

Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Were you riding with Razr?

And yes, based on my size, I've even been looking at the XR650R. It is supposed to be reliable, can have a button put on, and has beaucoup power while only weighing a bit more than the WR.

I dunno, I'm not really in a rush, but just shopping around.

Honestly, the 310, or 350 would be nice, but just not enough of a step up from the WR for me. I'm in the 400cc and up mode, but want too keep the weight at 300lbs or real close to it.
Back to top Go down
BUSTER

BUSTER

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 2:50 pm

longtallsally wrote:
Were you riding with Razr?

And yes, based on my size, I've even been looking at the XR650R. It is supposed to be reliable, can have a button put on, and has beaucoup power while only weighing a bit more than the WR.

I dunno, I'm not really in a rush, but just shopping around.

Honestly, the 310, or 350 would be nice, but just not enough of a step up from the WR for me. I'm in the 400cc and up mode, but want too keep the weight at 300lbs or real close to it.

Yep. We were just about done farting around at the dunes when you got there. So random I would jump back on this forum after so long and find you here. thumb

Awesome! I'm always surprised when I see a guy your size on a 250, but there are a lot of them out there. You're on the right track with your reasoning. I was in the same spot last year. You'll weigh the options that matter to you and find something that offers what you're looking for without breaking the bank. You're welcome to give me a holler when it's time for farkles. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with and riding with you again! Very happy
Back to top Go down
JrOz

JrOz

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 6:56 am

If your going to spend that much money on the bike u midas well get the turbo kit for it which costs $1,800.. its more hp then then big bore kit.. It puts the bike at 45hp stock without mods.. thats as much as a wr450.. and its capable of going to 56hp, its insane! go on youtube and search "wr250x turbo".. and you can install it yourself if you know basic wrenching.. and its good because if you ever wanna put the bike back to stock u have the option to without having to swap cylinders etc..
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 pm

If you want more power, get another bike. I think once you start modding these bikes the reliability goes way down...
Back to top Go down
DestinationOffroad

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:48 pm

GusinCA wrote:
If you want more power, get another bike. I think once you start modding these bikes the reliability goes way down...

Where did you hear this from? I can think of a good amount of people that have the usual mods and are still going strong.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:39 am

I think he means substantial-power-inducing mods like a turbo charger.
You won't get double the horsepower without some kind of longevity trade-off.
Not to mention that turbo plumbing hanging off the side of the bike.

The typical mods of fuel programmer, Q4 muffler, etc., are merely "uncorking" mods that stay within what the original engine parts are made to handle for a long time.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 11:48 am

I mean that any time you ask any motor to produce more power you are asking it to work harder and under more pressure.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 12:42 pm

I think the WR250R is an amazing bike, but it's not really the bike for people who want to ROOOOST and fly up long hills or wheelie past Ninjas. It's a street legal dirt bike with an ultra reliable, efficient and high revving TINY motor. I'ts rugged and well built, and therefore a bit heavy, adding to the feeling that it might be a bit underpowered.

That said, I'm 190 pounds, and there has never been a time where I have run out of climbing power, as long as I keep the revs high and have a bigger rear sprocket.

If I was really wanting a bike with more "play power" (that is power you don't need, but is fun to have) then I'd go for a KTM350EXC-F or something along those lines. There IS a gap in the market, for sure. Something like a WR400R would fill nicely, for the people who don't want the mass of a 600 but who are too big for a 250.

In my 30+ years of experience, every single time someone has told me they have added power somehow to a machine, they inevitably tell me about some failures here and there, whether from broken pieces or motors that eat oil or any number of little things. That goes for bikes, boats, Rhinos (I can't tell you how many of those I've had to rescue with my stock Rhino), and cars.

But do whatever you like, for my money, stock rocks, especially with Yamaha...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is it time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it time?   Is it time? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it time?
Page 1 of 1