Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Thought on New Plan For R2

Go down 
+3
crazy_dave
mucker
gatorfan
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Sorry if this thread is boring people to tears but what do you make of the HONDA CRF250X? Seems like a nice high end off-road bike that is plenty of machine for an old man track Noob.

I imagine I could learn the power band quickly and safely enough coming from the R2.

Suspension looks sophisticated enough for the track.

A little heavy at 250lbs but still ~45 lbs off the R2.

It would be great off road (I virtually never need tags for off road).

R to X conversion to follow.

EDIT: Heck, might as well get the WR250F ... it's similar to the CRF but better! wink Damn, I've come full circle. Shog

Cheers and thanks, I didn't realize how little I knew about motorcycles until I started this thread. Well, I sorta did. GAHHHH GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 6:50 am

I say go for either the CRF-250X or WR-250F because either is quite a step up in off-road performance in terms of engine, chassis, and suspension.
If you take the time to dial-in the suspension to your weight (as you really should with any motorcycle), it will be even better.

Don't forget that the weight figures shown on Honda and Yamaha sites and brochures these days are wet weights - all fueled-up with all other fluids in place.
In the past (up to about 5 years ago) the figures given were dry weights - without fuel, oil, coolant, etc.
CRF-250X and WR-250F dry weights (for 2003 - 2013 WR-250Fs with electric start) are about 232 - 235 pounds.
That's not bad at all, and will feel feather-light compared to what you now ride.

My advice is to do some reading on message boards and talking to fellow riders (if you know any) about which ever bike you decide on in order to learn all the ins and outs with them.
If you decide on a WR-250F, you can ask me as I've owned a 2009 model in the past and currently ride a 2002 model.
I also owned in the past a 2009 CRF-450X, and I know a little about the CRF-250X.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 11:24 am

I've also noted while out on the trails, that most folks wouldnt mind swapping bikes for a short bit just to get the feel.
A lot of them would love to try an r2, so dont hesitate to offer, if an opportunity pops up, ya never know. A short jaunt could have a big influence on your decision.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am

Every bike listed in the thread will go around and mx track but it depends on how competitive you want to be. This is just me but if I were considering the wr250f I would bump up to the wr450f. Its one of the most popular bikes to convert for street use and have tagged. You could probably outright replace your wr250r with one so long as you aren't using it as a commuter our long trip bike. It could do either of those too but its more maintenance intensive so I personally wouldn't.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 pm

As the saying goes ... "analysis, not paralysis" >>> WR250F and no turning back

Why 4 stroke? As old noob on track I want a power band I can control. Don't need to ride a sling shot and find myself 20 ft in the air.

Why Off Road and not MX? The WRF is plenty of machine for me on the track and I don't want to destroy an MX on the trails.

Why WR250F over CRF250X? The CRF is famous for valve problems. I know you can google any product with the word "problem" and get all bad news but this looks legit. Plus, my R2 has been bomb proof, a little customer loyalty is due.

--------------------------------------

Thanks again to all. Especially BigLake for talking me out of that 2-stroke on pogo sticks and YZETC for his sage like advice.
Looking forward to R>X conversion as well.

Now the bad news. I was unable to find a WR250F in stock anywhere within 150 miles today. WTF!! dddog
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 pm

BTW, nothing boring 'bout this thread. I can only imagine that most wrr owners are fussy, including myself, and have similar thoughts.
Mostly 'cause the r2 is the 1 bike :) ...but like like fuss does, I'm there...wanting all the bikes.
Again...good luck...
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:19 pm

********** DONE***************

Already been to track and trail. L-O-V-I-N' I-T
Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 Img_0119
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Awesome.
Have fun with it. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought on New Plan For R2   Thought on New Plan For R2 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thought on New Plan For R2
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2