Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ate it today...twice

Go down 
+3
woodygumdrops
oic0
Swagger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Swagger

Swagger

Ate it today...twice Empty
PostSubject: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 am

So I've had my X for about a year and a half. Almost all pavement except when my son an I go out in the woods by my house. He's got a KX65. All hard packed stuff. I met up with a few guys today that all had "enduros." A XR650, KLX250, DR400, and a DR350. I was the only idiot with street tires. So I meet up with these guys (saw an add on craigs list poser2 ) and when they saw the street tires....they didnt think I'd be able to make it through the trails they normally hit. I blew it off and told them dont worry...I'll keep up wink. We leave the Dunkin Donuts and almost immed hit a trail. I'm second in line. When i got blasted with a thick muddy roost i knew i was in trouble. 2nd turn....front end washed out then high sided to my right. That was the first time my bike was down. Pull the bike back up and it wont start. Saw some weire code "30" on display if i remember correctly...never saw that before. Turned the key off then back on and it fired back up. Get back in line and am going for a bit...came in a little hot and the front tire washes out again this time to my left and low sided. Guessing that was the fall that hurt my left calf although i dont remember the bike falling on my leg. :hmmm: After that litte run we got out of the wet/mud stuff and thought my day was going to improve....wrong! Remember Almost all of the trails we hit later that day had effin sand! It was terrible. I consider myself a pretty good rider but in the sand on street tires it was a nightmare. I fought this bike ALL Day GAHHHH Did go down a few other times but I wouldnt call those wrecks. More like a tight turn and the back tire wouldnt get traction and I would fall over...not crash. Those dont count right? Shog We prob hit 5 different spots. One was I'm guessing some kind of old mine field which was pretty dam cool. A lot of elevation changes but a lot of rocks. Guessing limestone because there was 2 big lakes in between where we were riding. One was really wooded and tite, the other 2 were all fucking sand. The only one i did actually have fun on and was not only able to keep up but pass guys was on a hard pack trail with a TON of whoops! This was the first time I worked out the suspension and I will say...I was quite impressed. I know others have complained about the susp on this bike but me at 135 lbs...I thought it worked flawless. Compared to the other bikes i was riding with today and their setups, no one could keep up in a straight line on the whoops. wink All I kept thinking about today in the 30 miles we did off road was if i only had some dirt tires! I will say that this bike is fast as shit! When we would leave one spot to go to another we were on the street. The only bike out of the bunch that would pull me was the XR650...and not by much. The KLX i knew wouldnt hang but i was suprised that both the DR's couldnt hang on the straights. bannana In all it was an awesome day. Got to ride with some pretty cool dudes and from what they say, they do this every weekend. I never considered getting dirt tires for my bike but after today, I'm starting to think about it!

I wish i had taken more pics...only have 4 Shog

Just thought i'd share my first real off road ride on the X.

Before we took off
Ate it today...twice 2013-010

Next two were the 2 lake we were riding in between.
Ate it today...twice 2013-011

Ate it today...twice 2013-012

Right before we called it a day
Ate it today...twice 2013-013

Last edited by Swagger on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 am

Sand sucks even with dirt tires unless its shallow enough for the tread to bite through or hard packed :( Last trip I took my KX on was trails with about 2ft deep fine loose sand and ATV ruts. Fell over once and almost fell over at least once every 100 yards lol.
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:46 am

Where abouts is this place if you don't mind me asking? I live over on the spacecoast, the terrain looks pretty similar here. Maybe I should start checking craigslist for some riding adventures thumb
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 pm

woodygumdrops wrote:
Where abouts is this place if you don't mind me asking? I live over on the spacecoast, the terrain looks pretty similar here. Maybe I should start checking craigslist for some riding adventures thumb

It was in northern Pacco couny. Port Richey area just south of SR52.

Edit: north of 52
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: D   Ate it today...twice EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Sand sucks alot unless you have awsome MEATS like the Dunlop 606's. Best thing Is hammer on it and DO NOT hit that front brake. thumb Even the stock Dual sport tires suck in the sand. Glad to here you had an awsome ride and faired out Ok.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Stand in the Sand.

Trust me, there's nothing BUT sand down here.
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Kinda ironic, I was just thinking about checking out the Gulf Coast for spots to ride yesterday when I posted on here. Today at work, they asked me to head to Homosassa Springs on Thursday to do some dive work. We're gonna be staying at some fish camp there Thursday night. Thinking about bringing the bike and checking out the area. Any suggestions on spots near the area? Probably ride Friday or Saturday if any of the Floridians on here want to meet up, inbox me.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 pm

woodygumdrops wrote:
Kinda ironic, I was just thinking about checking out the Gulf Coast for spots to ride yesterday when I posted on here. Today at work, they asked me to head to Homosassa Springs on Thursday to do some dive work. We're gonna be staying at some fish camp there Thursday night. Thinking about bringing the bike and checking out the area. Any suggestions on spots near the area? Probably ride Friday or Saturday if any of the Floridians on here want to meet up, inbox me.

I'd be a no-go this weekend. I rode up to Homosassa Springs a couple of months ago with another rider on this forum (we both have X's) to a road called the "Ozello Trail." Sweet road if you like twistys!!!! Although we didnt expore off road that day, with as rural as it is in some spots, i'm SURE you can get into a "little trouble" off road. thumb I just found this article on the Ozello trail:
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/163/Florida/The-Ozello-Trail-Ride.html

Not sure how far your willing to travel but Croom is always an option. Its been a number of years since I've been there but last time I was there I had a blast. 2600 or so acres of trails. http://www.floridatrailriders.org/articles/croom.htm Not sure on costs though. I'm sure you could find more info on Croom if you search around - thats just the 1st site i found. It's prob a 30 min ride from Homosassa to Croom.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Swagger wrote:

Not sure how far your willing to travel but Croom is always an option.

I was at Croom Sunday. It's in the best condition it's ever been in. They invested in 2 grooming machines and the trails are extremely well maintained. There is a still a lot of sand but it is much more manageable than in the past.

If the sand on the main arteries are too much for your liking you're allowed to zip along the narrow trails that traverse the main ones. There are also deep gorges you're allowed to play on and some mud holes if that's your thing.

There is a very cool practice area on the North side, just North of "P" parking area (this is where the grown-ups hide - the kids are at "sand hill" on the South side.) Wide open jumps to practice on.

The common complaint about Croom is there are too many woops. It's a fair complaint. I was knackered.

As above, Ozello Trail is a great ride too and a must if you are in Homossassa. It is short though - 15 minute ride in and out. Grab a beer and a bite at Pecks just before the trail goes over a little bridge and dead ends. Great food.

Be careful on hwy 19 in Homosassa. Lot's of old, blind people.
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the info. Ill definitely try and hit both spots on my trip. I've been wanting to check out Croom for a while, seems like a good time to finally get around to it!
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 11:34 pm

woodygumdrops wrote:
Sounds good, thanks for the info. Ill definitely try and hit both spots on my trip. I've been wanting to check out Croom for a while, seems like a good time to finally get around to it!

Take pics and post back! deal
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 4:37 pm

You are a brave man taking an X off road!

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Woody, looks like you have an R2. If that's an X you may want to think twice about Croom. Sand!
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah I have the R. Glad about that for sure! Everywhere I ride has deep sand and mud. Still have the trail wings as of now (only 2k miles, got the bike in January) I haven't had any issues with them so far. I'm running 13/48 gearing and get through almost everywhere the 4 wheelers go down here. Looking forward to some knobbier tires but for now, I stay centered on my feet, pin it, and let the sand take me for a drift.. Or rev out 1st and walk-ride through the real deep stuff lol
Ill post some pictures of my trip and some of the sand sections I ride when I get back. Cheers
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 pm

You'll be fine with trail wings. I've done tons of sand surfing on them.

- Get map at gate house
- Park in lot "P" for shade. You can ride up to Sand Hill from there and check it out.
- Gorges (not on map) are between trails A and E (closer to A). DO NOT MISS THESE! FUN!
-Bathrooms at Sand Hill
-Generally, more sand south; less north
-Practice area (not on map) with big jump - north and east of lot "P"

Damn, now I want to meet you there but can't. Mrs. Gatorfan back in town after long business trip.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 11:14 pm

From what can gather online a day pass is $15. GatorFan, let me know the next time you go. Im about a 40 min ride from there and after last weekend, I've gotten the offroad itch again...that is ofcourse you dont mind waiting for someone on street tires! poser2
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Swagger wrote:
of course you dont mind waiting for someone on street tires! poser2

You're either joking or a really good rider.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 pm

gatorfan wrote:

I can hold my own. deal With my schedule its hard for me to plan ahead unfort but if you make plans to go let me know and Ill see if I can make it....all depends on the wifes always changing schedule.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 7:48 pm

Swagger wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

I can hold my own. deal With my schedule its hard for me to plan ahead unfort but if you make plans to go let me know and Ill see if I can make it....all depends on the wifes always changing schedule.

LOL. I wasn't calling you out to keep up with me. I'm an old fart Noob - doesn't get any weaker than that. BUT I'VE GOT DIRT TIRES! And, I do Croom on my WRF.

I'll definitely holler next time I'm there.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 8:54 am

Sounds good GatorFan!
Back to top Go down
woodygumdrops

woodygumdrops

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 5:52 pm

After some delay I was finally able to check out the Homosassa area. I was able to hit Ozello trail and Croom on the way back home yesterday. Ozello was a nice ride, I was able to catch sunset after work on Thursday. I was just cruising in flip flops so I didn't get too far off the main road hide It was nice old Florida scenery and looked like you could find some mud if you wanted to.
After the job I shot over to Croom and had a hell day. The Sand pits were very fun and in good condition from all the rain last week. Most of the trails were very fun too with lots of whoops and a few climbs. All was good until I hit the clay area (or as I call it, the ice skating rink). It was so slippery you could barely walk on it none the less ride! After dropping the bike a couple times I headed back to the sand pit by the front gate. Hauling ass through a wide open trail I attempted to avoid a huge puddle and flopped the bike again, sliding it so that the front fender was halfway bent into a tree. Rode straight back, with my handlebars cocked to the right, packed up and left. Saw the moto shop on the way out, so picked up new bars and grips after the technician and I both agreed it was the Pro Tapers that had bent. $100 later and a couple hours spent last night cleaning the bike and installing new bars, and still bent! baldy
Anyways, I now have an extra set of bars and hopefully can just replace the bar clamps for a fix. Otherwise it's gone be expensive! I need it fixed by next weekend to ride in the dual sport event at Devil's Creek next weekend. It's right there in the same area as Croom and put on by Dixie Dual Sport. Check it out if you haven't already @ dixiedualsport.com
Anyways, it was a good trip and will get the year pass to Croom after June when it renews. Check out that dual sport event and thanks for the heads up on Gulf Coast riding. Here's a pic of Ozello off a little side trail:
Ate it today...twice Homosassa2_zps855fb7d1
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 6:07 pm

It sounds like you twisted the forks in the clamps.
It doesnt cost anything to fix that, loosen the wheel and the fork clamp bolts up and twist it back to straight by holding the wheel with your knees and twisting the bars.

The rasher/rough way of doing it is to simply twist the bars hard against the steering stop to the left since they're twisted to the right untill they're straight, I've done this mid ride after a crash.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 6:13 pm

woodygumdrops wrote:
All was good until I hit the clay area (or as I call it, the ice skating rink). It was so slippery you could barely walk on it none the less ride!

Oops, forgot to warn you about the wet clay at Croom! That stuff is slick as owl snot. Took my first big spill on that stuff a few years ago. One second you're up, then your down - and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

It's so slick I could not get the bike up alone, the tires would not bite enough to get leverage. poser2

Nice pic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ate it today...twice   Ate it today...twice Empty

Back to top Go down

Ate it today...twice
Page 1 of 1