Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Lots of questions about my bike!

Go down 
+5
gatorfan
LordEndo
oic0
motokid
ArrizX
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ArrizX

Lots of questions about my bike!  Empty
PostSubject: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 2:45 am

I think I have a question that could fit under almost every topic so Im going to condense it all into one thread.

First off, my tires suck. This is my first dirt bike, and I thought I was just really poor at it. Finally rode a friends bike today and the dirt tires are incredible. I have a set of 50/50 tires on my bike. I think they are the Bridgestone trailwings. Anyways, I hate them and now after riding a straight up dirt tire I really loved it.

Needless to say now that I know the difference I am going to buy new tires asap. I currently have a rear 4.10 tire. What size should I buy? From my research there are two or three main sizes guys use. Not sure what I am after so this is what I will ask:

What size is stock?
What size is the biggest will fit on the bike?
What is the most popular tire size? I am going to assume everyone moves up a size or two.

I need to gear my bike down as well. I want to make sure I buy the correct sprocket for the rear tire size. I was thinking a 49 tooth rear with one size bigger from stock tire size. Can anyone advise me on this?

Next question is about my shock.... My buddy told me I could adjust the height with the round knob on the very bottom. That ball looking thing is at the top of the threads under the shock, and I was able to spin it, by hand, on the ground all the way down the threads. I am not sure what it did but it did not adjust height so I moved it back. What can I do about lowering the bike with out adjusting the spring tension because I like where it is now? Is there anything? If not, where do I buy a yami link? I am not tall enough to be able to plant off road when I need too.

My bike is loud. Very loud. It doesnt hurt my ears but I ride it so much, it drones bad. Its kind of obnoxious and irritating. Sometimes it makes me want to wear earplugs. What can I do to make it more quiet? Its got an FMF pipe on it now. Should I get a new exhaust? Is there something I can do to what I have?

What do you guys get for mileage? I am only pulling 60-70 miles out of a tank. It still means low 40s mpgs. But that seems a little low to me. I forgot what I got in it last summer. It has an FMF programmer on it too. Should I tune that a little? I am completely happy with the power/response/acceleration. I just think mileage is a little lower than it should be. I have never looked at the programmer it was there when I bought the bike. It might be tuned over stock.

I have a weird spot in the throttle. After my bike has been sitting for a while, no matter how long I let it warm up in the first few minutes of driving I will twist the throttle and nothing happens for literally a second or two and then it picks up and everything is normal again. And it wont happen till the bike has sat again for a long period of time. Usually happens once a day. Sometimes twice a day if there is enough time between starts.

Thanks for all the help!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 am

I'll let the r-squared guys talk about tires and knobbies and suspension and stuff.

Loud? What kind of FmF do you have? Powercore?

MPG's? Throttle hand is your enemy. Dirt and off-road is tough to gage mpg's because you're spinning tires and such. But anywhere from 45-60 mpg's is pretty average. Again - this depends on conditions and exactly what you're doing.

yes - adjusting setting on programmer could help a little. What numbers are you running right now?

Weird spot in throttle? FmF programmer - setting number 5 - betting your's is 4 or lower - set it to 6 or higher. Known and documented issue with all FmF programmers.

Stock tire sizes: Front : 80/100-21 Rear: 120/80-18

Gearing: Count your sprocket teeth - or look for a marking on sprocket. What gearing do you have now?

Before people can recommend stuff they'll need to know what you currently have. thumb

Since you obviously bought a used bike, with some mods, it's not wise to assume anything.

If you don't know about something, take some pics and post them.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 10:36 am

Google says:

Lowering stock suspension:
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=WR250R+lowering&oq=WR250R+lowering&gs_l=hp.3..0l3j0i22i30.1233.3015.0.3142.15.9.0.6.6.0.101.644.7j2.9.0...0.0...1c.1.9.psy-ab.2XjT98NTVLE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45175338,d.b2I&fp=720839aef4a154b5&biw=1024&bih=719

Yamalink:
https://www.google.com/search?q=WR250R+yamalink&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS487US487&oq=WR250R+yamalink&aqs=chrome.0.57j64.2130j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=WR250R+yamalink&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS487US487&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&ei=GxBsUbqTO8Hi2QWBwoGoCg&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45175338,d.b2I&fp=df562aa7fc873bca&biw=1024&bih=719
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: FMF Setting #5   Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 pm

I wasn't aware of the issue with the programmer on Yellow - Blue. I just installed one and am using the default map, which has it set to 4 I think.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Last post page #1 : here.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Seems the most popular choice for off road is the Dunlop 606 rear and Pirelli MT-21 up front. The Dunlop 606 is an extremely popular dual sport tire but some do not like it up front. IMO you'd do well either way - a full set of 606's or the 606/MT-21.

That dial on your shock is to adjust the rebound dampening, not the height.

You can lower the bike up to one inch (if it has not been done already) without an aftermarket part. Click this link >>

Lowering

If you want to lower the bike more than that you will need an aftermarket lowering link.

Take a long look at the sprocket thread before buying.
Back to top Go down
ArrizX

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 pm

motokid wrote:
I'll let the r-squared guys talk about tires and knobbies and suspension and stuff.

Loud? What kind of FmF do you have? Powercore?

MPG's? Throttle hand is your enemy. Dirt and off-road is tough to gage mpg's because you're spinning tires and such. But anywhere from 45-60 mpg's is pretty average. Again - this depends on conditions and exactly what you're doing.

yes - adjusting setting on programmer could help a little. What numbers are you running right now?

Weird spot in throttle? FmF programmer - setting number 5 - betting your's is 4 or lower - set it to 6 or higher. Known and documented issue with all FmF programmers.

Stock tire sizes: Front : 80/100-21 Rear: 120/80-18

Gearing: Count your sprocket teeth - or look for a marking on sprocket. What gearing do you have now?

Before people can recommend stuff they'll need to know what you currently have. thumb

Since you obviously bought a used bike, with some mods, it's not wise to assume anything.

If you don't know about something, take some pics and post them.

Yeah I have a powercore 4 and with all the hills around here it just seems to drone bad.

I will need to look at the numbers and get back to you on that. Its snowing outside right now so I am not too terribly motivated to go work on it.

Great news on the programmer problem, thanks.

What is the bigger size tire you can fit on the bike? And what is the next size up that most people use? I would like go a size bigger. What about a 120/90 or a 120/100?

stock sprockets 43/13.

Thanks for the help

gatorfan wrote:
Seems the most popular choice for off road is the Dunlop 606 rear and Pirelli MT-21 up front. The Dunlop 606 is an extremely popular dual sport tire but some do not like it up front. IMO you'd do well either way - a full set of 606's or the 606/MT-21.

That dial on your shock is to adjust the rebound dampening, not the height.

You can lower the bike up to one inch (if it has not been done already) without an aftermarket part. Click this link >>

Lowering

If you want to lower the bike more than that you will need an aftermarket lowering link.

Take a long look at the sprocket thread before buying.

Thank you for the reccomendations on tires and advice on the other stuff.

What is a good place to set the recoil dampener?? Mine is all the way up. I wouldnt know if I needed to change it or not to be honest though.

Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: FMF Programmer Cut out issue   Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 12:36 am

motokid wrote:
Last post page #1 : here.

That's really interesting. I have in fact experienced this twice. Each time I was cruising along in probably fifth or sixth, nothing notable happening and all of a sudden it's like I've lost spark. No lights on the display, nothing else strange. I kept twisting the throttle and eventually it fires up again. Didn't have any issues in the trail all day, nor on the ride home.

My current settings are the default settings of 3-2-0.5-8-4-4. I'll try bumping the YB up to 6.....I was hoping to reduce these to increase throttle response, but we'll see how it feels.
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 4:36 pm

>"Yeah I have a powercore 4 and with all the hills around here it just seems to drone bad. "

Install the 'quiet' spark arrestor. Two are available... pick the one with the smaller outlet diameter.
About $32 or so on ebay.

Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 4:48 pm

TwilightZone wrote:
>"Yeah I have a powercore 4 and with all the hills around here it just seems to drone bad. "

Install the 'quiet' spark arrestor. Two are available... pick the one with the smaller outlet diameter.
About $32 or so on ebay.

I bought one, made a video of the difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DVn-J7sHCg . Not very much. Any amount is something but it didn't meet my expectations :(
Back to top Go down
ArrizX

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks ill look into it. Something is better than nothing.

My friends crf450 is so loud compared to mind and doesnt understand why I want to change it but he doesnt daily drive his, either lol
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 6:19 pm

I run the Q4, it's louder than stock, but I've heard it's quieter than the power core. I still wear earplugs whenever I have a ride longer than 10 mins planned--especially on the freeway.

I just switched to the D606 rear and MT21 front. I used to run 606's front and rear on my DR, I liked the rear, but thought the front wandered too much in the corners on the pavement. In the dirt the 606's made my DR almost bearable. So far the MT21 seems more planted in the corners (on road). I get a bit of shake when going over 70mph, but I think any aggressive knob will do this on-road.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I have the world's most perfect setup (for me)... :)

Michelin AC10 street legal knobbies. 120/90-18 on the back is the biggest it will go without rubbing.

Then I filled them with tireballs so i'd never get a flat again.

I put a 47 tooth rear sprocket on since 99% of what I ride is off road and technical.

I lowered mine front and rear without buying extra stuff, and put a Corbin seat on it which lowered it another inch.

I keep the rest of it stock because I seem to never hear the end of people complaining about how something or another gets messed up when you modify it, either too loud, not as reliable, or too much gas, or whatever.

Perfect bike. For me.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:40 pm

GusinCA wrote:

I keep the rest of it stock because I seem to never hear the end of people complaining about how something or another gets messed up when you modify it, either too loud, not as reliable, or too much gas, or whatever.

Where's the fun in that? Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 pm

GusinCA wrote:
I have the world's most perfect setup (for me)... :)

Michelin AC10 street legal knobbies. 120/90-18 on the back is the biggest it will go without rubbing.

Then I filled them with tireballs so i'd never get a flat again.

I put a 47 tooth rear sprocket on since 99% of what I ride is off road and technical.

I lowered mine front and rear without buying extra stuff, and put a Corbin seat on it which lowered it another inch.

Perfect bike. For me.

I've got a 130 on the rear of mine - Pirelli MT21. Different manufacturers likely vary in size slightly like car tires do - but no rubbing on mine.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 12:47 am

"Where's the fun in that?"

Being 100% reliable, never getting flat tires and going anywhere I want to is what I consider fun.

If I wanted a faster, louder bike I wouldn't have bought a 250.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:18 am

GusinCA wrote:
"Where's the fun in that?"

Being 100% reliable, never getting flat tires and going anywhere I want to is what I consider fun.

If I wanted a faster, louder bike I wouldn't have bought a 250.

thumb thumb Just kidding my friend. I'm in the middle of totally redoing my R2 (R>X plus mods, detailing, painting etc.) and am suffering mod burnout. Little cliches everywhere. Mods are fun one at a time but I won't do them all at once again.

Peace YAM kumbaya
Back to top Go down
beek1587

PostSubject: Questions   Lots of questions about my bike!  EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm

I will through my 2cents in on the tire question 606 Dunlop front and rear if you are mainly in the dirt.you can get as carried away with mods on this bike but I think the best thing would beto have the suspension revalved resprung whatever ittakes we all me included spend to much time improving a decent engine and with stock suspension which in aggressive woods riding SUCKS. Ok im done putting in my 2cents maybe3 BEEK1587Lots of questions about my bike!  29721Lots of questions about my bike!  61865
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lots of questions about my bike!    Lots of questions about my bike!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Lots of questions about my bike!
Page 1 of 1