Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.

Go down 
+3
crazy_dave
chuckP
Wingnut037
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wingnut037

Wingnut037

Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. Empty
PostSubject: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:57 pm

Time came for a new set of tires has come. I have had the current 016s on for the last 6k or so, including a 2200 mile trip around California. Looking for a bit of help on what will best suit my needs.

My current commute is about 45 miles with 5k change in elevation one way, and like none other for sure. First 2 miles are down a hard pack with loose gravel immediately followed by a very tight 8 mile decent down Palomar Mountain (North County San Diego, and another 15 miles of off and on sweepers, with the last 20 a mix of highway and surface streets.

The BT-006s have given me plenty of use, but do not work well on this commute. I am nearly halfway down the mountain before they start to warm up, and inspire little confidence at full lean. Complete 180 from my wife's WR wearing contiforce shoes, but she pushed it to get 3k from them.

So, to make a short story long, what I am looking for is something like a dual compound tire that will warm up quickly with the low weight and hp of the WR (compared to a sports bike, and tires made for them), but stand up a bit better to the distances of my commute. I don't need off road capability, but need something that wont shred in the 30mph runs down the gravel road. Have a dirt setup for when the need arises. The more consistent and confidence inspiring the better, while lasting a reasonable time. If this tire exist, or anything close to it, I greatly appreciate the responses.

Best Regards,
Wing
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3
Back to top Go down
Wingnut037

Wingnut037

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 pm

chuckP wrote:
Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3

Thanks for the quick response Chuck. Will take a hard look at them.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 6:20 am

Avon storms
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:16 pm

I haven't used but would love to try these out:

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/mc/tyres/on_road/Sportmax_Mutant.jsp

Only thing is I don't know if we can get them on this side of the pond
Back to top Go down
nyc_bob

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Back to top Go down
Wingnut037

Wingnut037

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 am

nyc_bob wrote:
Did you read through the stickie?
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t2422-wr250x-tires

Nyc, I did read through it several times. There however is not any reviews of a tire that would have to withstand a gravel road, wear reasonably through 500+ mile weeks, while still warming up quick enough to keep me from sliding off the mountain. It probably does not exist, but hoping for some insight into something that would fit our bikes, as the few good matches I have found on my own are made no smaller than a 160 (Dunlop Q2).

Just ordered a set of Diablo Rosso IIs I found at a great price and highly recommended, so I hope these will work for now. I will be sure to post a review and a video of my current commute when they are on.

Those mutants look like a great tire, and I have been envious of them for a while. Too bad the shipping cost is as high as the tire price.

-W
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 9:06 am

Get a set of tire warmers and put them on a timer so when you leave in the morning they are ready to go. wink

I just put the 016 on my bike. I bought it with the stock 090s or whatever they were, and the 016 feels much better, but I haven't really pushed them yet. You could try dropping the pressure a bit to get them to warm up faster, too.

Back to top Go down
Wingnut037

Wingnut037

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyMon May 13, 2013 3:41 pm

The Rosso IIs are a phenomenal tire! Surprisingly predictable on the loose gravel, enough to where I am kicking the back end out for fun. Warm up is super quick, the profile falls over nicely, but in a stable way, and at this point, I do not care how fast they wear, but it is supposed to last. Leaps and bounds past the 016s and inspire even more confidence than the SM contiforces on the wife's X. Just took 35 seconds off of my assent time on the mountain as well. I will be uploading a video of my current commute here shortly.
Back to top Go down
Wingnut037

Wingnut037

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyWed May 15, 2013 4:38 am

Here is a quick shot of the last 15 mins or so of my daily ride.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyWed May 15, 2013 5:38 am

Wow....nice.

Do you have stock headlight or have you replaced it with something "better"?

If stock, you might want to look into some HID kits out there.

Also - looks like you live out in the boonies.

Ch ch ch ch....ha ha ha ha....

(horror movie reference there)

amazon Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Wingnut037

Wingnut037

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. EmptyWed May 15, 2013 1:00 pm

motokid wrote:
Wow....nice.

Do you have stock headlight or have you replaced it with something "better"?

If stock, you might want to look into some HID kits out there.

Also - looks like you live out in the boonies.

Ch ch ch ch....ha ha ha ha....

(horror movie reference there)

amazon Very happy

I have an HID kit using the stock housing. World of difference. It was near dusk at the time so the camera was shifting around with the light settings. A bit off the grid up here, we might or might not of left the lights on the night after watching the latest Evil Dead...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.   Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute. Empty

Back to top Go down

Dual Compound SM Tires? For a truely unique commute.
Page 1 of 1