Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!

Go down 
+6
miniceptor86
georgis4
motokid
BuilderBob
YZEtc
kpla51
10 posters
AuthorMessage
kpla51

kpla51

oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! Empty
PostSubject: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:32 pm

they want 45 bucks labor plus oil and filter. this is just to not void the one year warranty. this is outrageous should i even worry about the one year warranty if i have to have them change it every time.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Is somebody telling you that you can't change your own oil and oil filter?
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 5:25 am

Keep your receipts for oil and filters and maintain a log of dates and mileage of your oil changes. That should do it if you're concerned about voiding the warranty.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 6:21 am

Yes the dealership said it would void the warranty if I did it myself
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 6:30 am

kpla51 wrote:
Yes the dealership said it would void the warranty if I did it myself

Where do you live? Is there another Yamaha dealer some place close to you?

Call another dealer and ask them the same question.

Or - do you have a copy of the warranty? Does it state just that in your copy?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
georgis4

georgis4

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 6:47 am

As long as mine had the warranty oil changes (without filter) was only €19 to the yamaha dealer (yamalube 20-50).the yamaha oil filter cost is about €10.
$45 ONLY for labor is way too much....if it is with the oil and filter maybe its ok..
And yes every service has to be to the dealer if you want the warranty.
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 7:18 am

Live in the US? They can not void your warranty for performing your own oil changes. Keep records and find another dealer that is honest! If they lie about this and charge $45 labor it would be the last time my shadow darken their doorway!
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:14 am

From the warranty section of the owners manual:

THE CUSTOMER'S RESPONSIBILITY under this
warranty shall be to:
1 . Operate and maintain the motorcycle as specified in
the appropriate Owner's Manual, and
2. Give notice to an authorized Yamaha motorcycle
dealer of any and all apparent defects within ten (1 0)
days after discovery, and make the machine available
at that time for inspection and repairs at such dealer's
place of business.

Q. May I perform any or all of the recommended maintenance shown in the Owner's
Manual instead of having the dealer do them?
A. Yes, if you are a qualified mechanic and follow the procedures specified in the
Owner's and Service Manual. We do recommend, however, that items requiring
special tools or equipment be done by a Yamaha motorcycle dealer.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:33 am

BuilderBob wrote:

Q. May I perform any or all of the recommended maintenance shown in the Owner's
Manual instead of having the dealer do them?
A. Yes, if you are a qualified mechanic [/i]

And they define "qualified mechanic" how exactly?

Sounds like Yamaha is indirectly fucking their customers to some extent with that verbiage.

Or at least setting themselves up to say the customer has voided their warranty by doing their own basic maintenance.

The flip side of this is kinda simple though. "You" spent something north of 6 grand for a new motorcycle.

Spending maybe about $150 to keep warranty "safe" doesn't seem too outrageous. 3000 mile oil changes and less than 2 quarts of oil. How many oil changes in one year "you" expecting to make?

The other option is to say F the warranty. dunno

Yet another in a long list of valid reasons to buy a used bike. Very happy amazon get the f out

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 9:52 am

I was going to say f the warranty anyways I ride the bike hard already broke a few things and it has under 200 miles haha
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 12:16 pm

IMO the only way to tear the bike up would be to abuse it, and the warranty doesn't cover abuse... so...
I also think yamaha would probably go ahead and fix the thing if something happened so long as it wasn't caused by an improper or lack of oil change.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 12:18 pm

On the topic what oil do you guys use? I think I only saw yamalube 10-50 at the local shop
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 12:35 pm

kpla51 wrote:
On the topic what oil do you guys use? I think I only saw yamalube 10-50 at the local shop

Oh Boy - Here We Go!!!!!! <-- clicky

Very happy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Wow this forum has everything catagorized haha didn't even know that was there
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 4:14 pm

BS, just keep the receipts and do it yourself. My dealer never cared.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 4:31 pm

GusinCA wrote:
BS, just keep the receipts and do it yourself. My dealer never cared.

And make sure the oil you buy is specifically what the manual calls for.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 5:13 pm

kpla51 wrote:

I've been trying to use real ester based synthetics ever time (whatever is cheapest when im buying. royal purple last time), but I'll be damned if they don't start making the transmission feeling a touch notchy after only 500 miles or so. When I used dino "synthetics" the transmission felt smoother a lot longer. Maybe its just in my head...
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 7:09 pm

I was told not to use synthetics since the clutch gets too slippery, or something like that.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 7:33 pm

i just got yamalube 10w40 talked to the mechanic in the back and said the guy up front was blowing smoke up my a$$
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyWed May 15, 2013 7:47 pm

I think if you buy Yamalube in the right weight for the temps and change it and the filter every 1000 miles or so (depending on how hard you use it, rev it, single track vs sedate street driving, lots of heat vs normal use) that engine will outlive you.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:37 am

GusinCA wrote:
I think if you buy Yamalube in the right weight for the temps and change it and the filter every 1000 miles or so (depending on how hard you use it, rev it, single track vs sedate street driving, lots of heat vs normal use) that engine will outlive you.
10w40 is a good weight right? i know the manual asks for different
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyThu May 16, 2013 10:23 am

I would go with what the manual suggests for the temp range you ride in.
Don't forget, this is a very high revving engine that runs on super unleaded, it's not just some air cooled 600 from 1985 that could run on moonshine and use tree sap for motor oil...
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyThu May 16, 2013 3:35 pm

kpla51 wrote:
GusinCA wrote:
10w40 is a good weight right? i know the manual asks for different

Yes that's fine.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:31 pm

motokid wrote:

And they define "qualified mechanic" how exactly?

as a yamaha dealer i can tell you they define it as having a trade certification in "motorcycle repair". we have issues here with a number of "Small motors" mechanics (read mower mechanics) and car mechanics fixing bikes and not doing things correctly (car mechanics seem to like lapping titanium valves and take the hardening off), plus the fact it is illegal to charge someone for repairs to a registered bike without a motorcycle mechanic qualification in Australia.

Our shops stance is as long as it comes back for the major services (1,000km, 5,000km (First 2 to check bedding in and correct tensions) and valve checks) and buy your oil/filters from us, we'll fight as hard as we can for you if there is an issue. keep in mind most warranty issues are gonna pop up in the first 2-3 months, after that generally it is wear and tear/ abuse which is not covered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!   oil change prices just not to void the warranty!! Empty

Back to top Go down

oil change prices just not to void the warranty!!
Page 1 of 1