Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

spedo corrector question

Go down 
+3
Ken Mandu
motokid
kpla51
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kpla51

kpla51

spedo corrector question Empty
PostSubject: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 pm

hey guys i changed up my gearing and like to keep track of my milage would the spedo corrector also fix the odometer?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 5:16 am

kpla51 wrote:
hey guys i changed up my gearing and like to keep track of  my milage would the spedo corrector also fix the odometer?

With the 12o'clock labs unit, you can either fix the speedometer or the odometer, but not both.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 6:17 am

I'd rather have the odometer fixed then the speedo thanks!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 7:09 am

Yamaha really boned us on the design of the speedo/odometer for the R/X.

budah 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am

Don't most bikes odometer go off the front tire?
Back to top Go down
Ken Mandu

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 3:05 pm

motokid wrote:
Yamaha really boned us on the design of the speedo/odometer for the R/X.

budah 
And this floors me. Why did Yamaha do this? For that matter, you'd think there'd be some sort of a speedometer accuracy specification for safety/legal reasons.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 5:34 pm

So what does the speedo actualy go off of? Why does it change with just a sprocket or does it go off the rear tire
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 pm

They probably both go off something in the gear box.

Anyhow, they made the speedometer wrong on purpose. Its fairly common on motorcycles. For instance, the R1 has about the same amount of error as our bike. Its a dirty sort of advertising. Joe blow think his bike will do 190mph easy when in reality he was only going 175. When he goes to the bar and brags to his friends they think "gee that yamaha is fast!". Same as that R6 tachometer scandal where they claimed the R6 would rev to 17,500 and gave it the tach error factor to make it show so... but it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Ken Mandu

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 7:18 pm

It think the speedo monitors the rotation of the front sprocket shaft. So long as everything's stock, it's fine. My guess, anyway.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 pm

ok thats what im confused about i put a 12 tooth front sprocket now does that change it or does it go of the shafts rotation:baldy: 
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 1:30 am

It goes off the shaft rotation which means if you alter anything, tires or sprocket, it will change the speedo/odo reading. It's off by 7%ish stock. I think the odo might only be 3-4% or something. So a corrector is the only fix really. But that's why it seems to only make one or the other right. They are off from step one.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 11:43 am

I for one am happy it uses the countershaft signal instead of the front wheel. My SV had a speed sensor on the front wheel, and I broke it about 3 different times when changing tires.

It uses a single signal to calculate both speed and mileage, so when changing the % error with a speed healer, it affects both.

Any change in gearing is going to change the speedometer, since your bike is going a different speed for the same output shaft RPM.
Back to top Go down
WeAkSaUzE

WeAkSaUzE

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 1:01 pm

kpla51 wrote:
hey guys i changed up my gearing and like to keep track of  my milage would the spedo corrector also fix the odometer?

In short yes, but only the odometer or only the speedometer, here is what I have found after owning a number of bikes since the '70's...odometers tend to be very accurate while speedometers tend to be anywhere from +8% to +10% high. I also currently own 3 bikes with SpeedoHealer's installed, one of them being my '13 WR250R.

Sorry...this is the first bike I didn't check the odometer against my Garmin before I changed the OEM gearing, with every small town in America trying to increase revenue any way they can (people speeding) I felt it was in my best interest to have an accurate speedometer. I also have a Ram Mount on my WR so to get accurate mileage figures...say on a day trip, I just use the trip computer on my Garmin. If I ride around without my Garmin on the bike I add +17% to any mileage off the bikes odometer because with a 12T CSS -17% is what I had to program into the SpeedoHealer to make my speedo accurate. I have brought this up in >>Another Tread<<

Now that you added a 12T CSS even with correction you can either have an accurate speedo or an accurate odometer...but you will never have both. My advice would be to buy or borrow a GPS to determine the % your odometer is off, once you have that % determined you can then + that % into your mileage figures to compensate. For me adding the SpeedoHealer and getting the Mph right was first and foremost, if accurate odometer readings are important to you, get a SpeedoHealer and borrow a GPS or forever calculate the offset thumb   

spedo corrector question 83mph
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: spedo corrector question   spedo corrector question Empty

Back to top Go down

spedo corrector question
Page 1 of 1