Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
saddletramp

Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !   Empty
PostSubject: Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !    Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !   EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:17 pm

I took the WR250R and the bike was awesome for this trip! Here is a photo of buddy Dave and our two bikes. He rides a KLR 685. I normally run 14/50 sprockets but for this trip changed to 14/48 due to the fact that I knew I would be about 2500 km on asphalt and 1500 km on gravel roads, two track and railway trail. That 14/48 combo was perfect for the type of travelling we did. Got to see beautiful country that I would not have seen if I had taken the bigger bike. I talked to several owners of big dualsports at the ferry terminals but found out that they did not venture on the smaller backwoods tracks that we took. Their loss, our gain. Spectacular scenery and we lucked out with the weather. By the way, with my Wolfman panniers and 30 liter canoe dry bag on top I packed all the clothing, camping gear, cooking gear, and food for eight days. I was absolutely delighted with how well the WR handled everything and never once did I wish for anything different.

Our whole trip was on the west coast.  Only place in the world where you can see the bottom of the earths crust as it was heaved up and flipped over (Gros Morne National Park).  Absolutley spectacular.  Highly recommend this as a destination if you are thinking about it.  My buddy Dave will be posting a ride report when he finds some time.

Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !   Advpictureresized_zps26b8e969
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !    Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !   EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 12:27 pm

I did the Newfieland loop on a street bike a few years back. Great people there.

Can you post the roads / trails you took ? I'd like to go back on the 250 some day myself.
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !    Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !   EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Looks wicked, did you carry auxiliary fuel?
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !    Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !   EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Chrispy - Dave will be posting up a trip report on ADV site and that will give route information. I'll let you know the site address when he finishes it.

Shep- I have the 3.1 gal aftermarket tank. I did go on reserve on a couple sections but always still had about 50 km range left when we got to gas. As a backup of course I had buddy Dave with his 25 liter tank and a siphon hose. Since you live so close to the Rock you should plan a trip there. We also did a section of the rail trail between Howley and Buchans (about 80km) so that we could see the Topsail Mountains and climb up on the Gaffe Topsail. That section of rail trail has a wheel track through the ballast stone, and is doable, albeit boring as rail trails usually are BUT it is the only way you are going to see Gaffe Topsail.

General - there is plenty to see and experience on the west coast of the island. You just need to enjoy poking around and exploring. A lot of folks blast through the west coast from south to north so that they can do the Labrador loop and end up missing fantastic scenery and culture. Alternatively they blast from Port aux Basques to St Johns and miss out on the richness of Gros Morne Park and the Northern Peninsula. Our trip was intentionally set up to concentrate on experiencing and learning the area west of Buchans and from north to south on the West coast. We were not disappointed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !    Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !   Empty

Back to top Go down

Just back from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland !
Page 1 of 1