Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Side cover quick release

Go down 
+2
SheWolf
mwakey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mwakey

mwakey

Side cover quick release Empty
PostSubject: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 8:13 pm

I posted this over at TT, but figured I'd post it here too. This is an easy way to access your air filter without any tools...

Clicky
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks Mark. I'm going to be doing that as well to the airbox and the side panels. Good mod. thumb

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 12:03 am

Those should come in handy, I think I'll add them to the "Stuff I need to get when i finally buy a WR" list X3
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySat May 02, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok, I finally managed to get the quick release mod done. Thanks for the instructions Mark, and thanks for the d-rings Red! thumb So the right side went along pretty straight forward; hack off the nut like Mark did, slide the clip over the bracket and away we go to the races.
Side cover quick release Img_0917

Now, the left side was a bit trickier because:
1: There isn't anywhere on the side panel that has the backing like the right side does, because the hole on the side cover goes over top of the spigot/nut from the back of the tab on the frame and
2: That stupid spigot/nut that is welded to the tab on the frame, which is also welded.

SO... out comes Mr. Dremel and I hack off both the spigot and the nut. I only had to cut half of the nut off, and then the whole spigot/nut piece came out after I whacked at it with my hammer. Very happy The clip fit nicely on there after it was gone.
Side cover quick release Img_0918

Now that the clip was on, I managed to find a spacer I had in my trusty box-o-goodies. Basically it's a metal spacer/washer that fit right over the hole in the side panel with enuf meat to conveniently adhere to the panel with a bit of epoxy. I didn't have to use the nylon washer on the d-clip this time, but you still need the lock washer on the backside to retain the d-ring.
Side cover quick release Img_0919
Side cover quick release Img_0920
This shot is from the backside; you can sort of see the end of the d-ring as it sits inside the clip.
Side cover quick release Img_0921

You just have to be careful when you hack off that spigot/nut that you don't hack into the EXUP (if you still have it).
Side cover quick release IMG_0974

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySun May 03, 2009 7:23 am

Now you know why I didn't put one on the left side. It's really not made for one over there, (as you found out).
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySun May 03, 2009 10:56 am

Yeah, but it was a PITA not being able to quickly access the airbox...plus it looked lopsided with it on just the one side. Very happy It is doable, you just have to have a steady hand and small cutoff disks for the dremel. Next will be the airbox. thumb

Fargo_Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySun May 03, 2009 11:37 am

thumb Awesome work there. Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptyMon May 04, 2009 11:54 am

SheWolf wrote:
Yeah, but it was a PITA not being able to quickly access the airbox...plus it looked lopsided with it on just the one side. Very happy It is doable, you just have to have a steady hand and small cutoff disks for the dremel. Next will be the airbox. thumb

Looks great momma wuff. DO you have the part number and such, might be doing this mod myself when I do buy my WR. =3
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptyMon May 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Click on the link Mark left in his post. All the part numbers are in there. thumb

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptyMon May 04, 2009 5:56 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Click on the link Mark left in his post. All the part numbers are in there. thumb

sweet, thanks momma wuff
Back to top Go down
rpo83

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 6:36 am

Just did this mod Side cover quick release 379944 Side cover quick release 379944 Side cover quick release 379944 found it on TT then here, so i thought it deserved a BUMP Side cover quick release 61865

I have found a great supplier you may all be interested in.

They supply basically every type of fastener for motorbike use, they have the quick release fittings available in Titanium, Alloy and Stainless steel, all with various anodised finishes.

http://www.tastynuts.com/

The service from the Aussie guys was outstanding

Here is a little teaser..

Side cover quick release Image.php?width=190&height=190&filename=WebCat-0008000d00040002
Back to top Go down
rpo83

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 6:54 am

This has me thinking about making my seat quick release as well Side cover quick release 810411

Looking at the seat base, it shouldn't be very difficult. Hopefully it will simply be a matter of removing the cover, cutting out the standard threaded inserts then epoxying in a quick release catch.

I'll ponder it over the Christmas break, take some measurements and see how i go.

Initially i thought about doing something similar to Husky, and have a quick release on the top of the seat, looking at it though i don't think it will work, the seat base seems quite thick. My brother in law is a motor trimmer, so if i stuff up to badly, he can save the day.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 9:47 am

A quick release seat using Dzuz-type fasteners would be awesome. Please post pics if you do it.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:43 am

Mine is quick release. I use wingnuts. Very happy

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 6:29 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Mine is quick release. I use wingnuts. Very happy

Hmm,

Thats a simple solution.... why didn't i think of that.

I'll look into the Husky style Druz, but the wing nuts and lock wire would be very easy.

Thanks for the idea shewolf Side cover quick release 204616
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Side cover quick release   Side cover quick release Empty

Back to top Go down

Side cover quick release
Page 1 of 1