Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New WRX newbie in MN

Go down 
AuthorMessage

New WRX newbie in MN Empty
PostSubject: New WRX newbie in MN   New WRX newbie in MN EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi!  I've been lurking here while deciding what bike to get.  I've mostly done street riding and currently own a 2009 Ducati 848 and used to own a 1989 Hawk GT which I mostly used for track day duty.  This year, my twin 8-yr old boys started showing interest in riding motorcycles and finally learned to ride one at the Yamaha area at Laguna Seca MotoGP.  This summer ended up with me getting a couple of Kuberg Cross electric bikes for them.

I started looking at supermotos since I figured I would eventually need to accompany them on trails and stuff, but would still like to have a track capable bike.  I finally decided on the WR250 because being a short guy, getting the seat height down to where I feel comfortable is achievable (thanks to this forum).  And being a dirt newbie, I figure the 250 power will not get me into too much trouble.  I decided on the X because I like the larger front brakes for when I do take it to a road course track and it seemed like getting dirt wheels for it is cheaper than trying to get supermoto wheels for a dirt bike.

So, I sold the Hawk and am now a proud owner of a 2008 WRX.  

Have not taken her offroad yet, but did manage to put a few street miles on.  The lack of a tach is weird, especially with the power so high up in the band, but I'm getting used to it.  Just have to trust that the limiter works and I won't blow up the motor.

All I've done to it so far is replaced the torn up grips and installed a Yamalink.  Will definitely be looking forward to spending time on the forum to get tips as I replace/upgrade some of the parts - exhaust, suspension, big bore?, racks/bags, etc.

Oh, I'm in Eden Prairie, MN.

Thanks,
Pedro
Back to top Go down
PRE-K

New WRX newbie in MN Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WRX newbie in MN   New WRX newbie in MN EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 9:20 am

Welcome Sir!

I'm new here myself.

I've found you'll likely need some suspension work for road/track, at least on the shock (heavier spring and a re-valve and/or heavier oil... its VERY SOFT from the factory). The forks are actually a good compromise (for my 165lbs anyway)... a little soft for the road/track, but a bit stiff for the dirt, so that may be perfect for you.

Anyway... enjoy!
Back to top Go down

New WRX newbie in MN
Page 1 of 1